If I was/were Coach Jerry Kill and his Staff...

In 4 years this team will have the following:

1) adequate depth and experience.
2) A roster full of kids who have had consistent quality coaching (same HC/OC/DC).

This team will look and play a whole lot differently in the coming years, you can bank on that. Right now we are experiencing the perfect storm of what makes a program bad. It's tough to watch and tough to say, but at this point this year is about little more than getting experience and learning how to practice and play.

+ 1

Originally Posted by balds
In 4 years this team will have the following:

1) adequate depth and experience.
2) A roster full of kids who have had consistent quality coaching (same HC/OC/DC).

This team will look and play a whole lot differently in the coming years, you can bank on that. Right now we are experiencing the perfect storm of what makes a program bad. It's tough to watch and tough to say, but at this point this year is about little more than getting experience and learning how to practice and play.

Agreed, but as a season ticket holder I would like my money back until that happens.

I said that so far Mark May was right. That's a fact. Get over it.
By the way, I agreed with the Mason firing, and still do to this day, so I really don't get your point.

You might want to re-read what you said.

I hate Mark May, but when the Gophers fired Glen Mason that dickweed said, essentially, "who does Minnesota think it is? they'll never do better than Glen Mason!"

The dickweed was, apparently, and unbelievably, right.

I don't see anything about "so far". May said we will never do better than Mason. You said he was right, meaning you agree that we will never be better than mediocre. Don't get pissy with me when you don't even know what you wrote.

I understand the staff is playing a lot of young players and players at new positions. I get all that but it is the little things that drive me crazy like stupid penalties and defense out of position more often than in position. I thought at the beginning of the season that the defense would be ahead of the offense but I can't tell what unit is better because it is all a mess right now. Orseske started fine and now he is regressing and it is not due to not enough opportunities. Maybe his leg is worn out... I will remain patient and frustrated...

I find all the whining and crying about immediate lack of success and improvement of a very untalented team both laughable and pathetic. This team right now is a bottom dweller and will continue to be for quite some time. It is the head coach's 1st season with an enormous task of changing the program from years of ineptitude. I played varsity high school football at Hutchinson, Minn for Coach Grady Rostberg; it was his first 2 years as head coach there. In 1970 our record was 0-8, and 1971 it was 2-7. We were pathetic at best. Over the next couple of decades, however, Hutchinson won 3 state championships and Coach Rostberg became the 5th(I belive) winningest coach in Minnesota state football history.
Yes the Gophers are painful to watch right now, but they are what they are and to expect turnaround by now after this short of time in Coach Kill's tenure is totally unreasonable. It does take patience. It does take strong will. Is Jerry Kill and his system the right way? At this point it is impossible to tell. There will be many more embarrassing games to experience. Hopefully he is the right man for the job, but it will not be known by the end of this season or the next.

I'm not saying fans don't deserve a better product. I'm saying whining about it like a child because it hasn't happened in 6 games is ridiculous. I know it's hard when the losses are ugly but we're obviously a program at rock bottom who is rebuilding. Be patient. Half this forum is filled with people venting and badmouthing the U as if they're an employee of the StarTribune.

+1

Re: Hutchinson Football Circa 1970 vs. Big 10 Football Today

"I played varsity high school football at Hutchinson in 1970"

At least I had one laugh today. Thanks.:clap:

Dont Freak Out!

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
-CHICKEN LITTLE

Had more to do with the fact that you believe we will never be better than mediocre. I'd rather take some chances at being better than that, but that's me.

Taking a chance on being better is ok, but Brewster was not a step forward. Maturi should have been canned for what he has done to the program. The program had an identity, had taken several strides forward from the Gutey/Wacker days, had a new stadium opening up and he bet the program on winning the Powerball Lottery. The odds were not in his favor. Brewsters chances of being successful were 1 in 195,249,054. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, he ended up closer to the 195,249,054 than the one.

Now we have an identity -- we suck. The announcers raved that Bennett had 2 one hundred yard rushing games in his career. Really? We used to have 2 guys with at least 2 100 yard rushing games by the 5 game each season there for a while (and at least one per game).

Kill deserves some time to turn this around. At least he earned it through the success he's delivered in the past. If he'd come in after Mason, we may not have progressed significantly, but we wouldn't have backslid so far so fast.

Charlie Strong would have been taking a good chance. Tim Brewster was playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun. Not a chance anyone with any brains would take.

True, but the coaching hasn't. The coaches are removing the problems one by one. Problem is that Brewster left a lot of problems and players who aren't interested in fixing them. The only difference is at least Brewster tried. He failed spectacularly, but he tried his best. His players have decided that they know better than Kill and have thrown in the towel, making it much, much, much harder to move forward.

They may not get there, but Kill and staff at least know that sometimes to go forward, you have to go backward to fix what's wrong. As we learned with Brewster, wishing it so isn't going to do anything for you.

Being a terrible team in a coach's first season is absolutely not an indicator of how good a coach is. Some great coaches had atrocious teams in their first season and some terrible coaches had atrocious teams in their first season. I'm not making an excuse for Kill, it's just a simple fact.

If you want to quite following the team, just stop following them. Putting up a big stink on the message board and whining on your way out is childish. If you've had enough, no one is making you post. It reminds me of a little kid crying with his head buried into the covers and looking up to make sure his parents see. Ok, we see you crying, you are free to leave.

As far as being embarrased, i'm a fan, always will be and i'm embarrased. I feel bad for some of the players and yeah, i'm embarassed.

I think Kill is up to the task. He gave the upperclassmen 4-5 games to show they want to play and buy in. To show what they have. They have done so and now he is starting to go with younger kids that want to play and pay the price. As bad as today was, there were items that showed progress in the pgm. After the terrible start very few kids quit!!!! ??Still too many mistakes, but that will happen with young kids. I have a problem with Royston and 3 Sr. linemen making those goofs, but can live with Fr. doing them a few times. Kirckwood fumbles and is pulled, but after sitting a getting a message, they put him in later, and he ran hard and hung on. Most players played hard and didn't quit after the roof fell in. HOWEVER, there were a few upperclassmen that might be on the bubble after their effort today. The Staff will move on . Wins will still be few and far between, but I saw alot better effort and hustle today than last week.

Yeah, well I'm a fan and embarrassed at the same time. When the Bball academic scandal happened were you not embarrassed? If not, you should have been. If you were, then you're just a hypocrite.

Well.....honestly....sure, I take a lot of pride in the U and there's always the possibility I'll feel dissapointed by something a fellow gopher does. So let me rephrase, I'll personally never be embarrassed by a loss in a sporting event. That's going way too far. It's just a stupid game. Why would I??? I'll wear my gopher jacket to work on Monday without a second thought.

I attended. I graduated. I have a respectable career because of the U (and I believe I represent the U very well, you can take pride in that). I validate the U, the football team doesn't.

Les Bolstad.....my pleasure!! Hutch was a GREAT place to be from.

I find all the whining and crying about immediate lack of success and improvement of a very untalented team both laughable and pathetic. This team right now is a bottom dweller and will continue to be for quite some time. It is the head coach's 1st season with an enormous task of changing the program from years of ineptitude. I played varsity high school football at Hutchinson, Minn for Coach Grady Rostberg; it was his first 2 years as head coach there. In 1970 our record was 0-8, and 1971 it was 2-7. We were pathetic at best. Over the next couple of decades, however, Hutchinson won 3 state championships and Coach Rostberg became the 5th(I belive) winningest coach in Minnesota state football history.
Yes the Gophers are painful to watch right now, but they are what they are and to expect turnaround by now after this short of time in Coach Kill's tenure is totally unreasonable. It does take patience. It does take strong will. Is Jerry Kill and his system the right way? At this point it is impossible to tell. There will be many more embarrassing games to experience. Hopefully he is the right man for the job, but it will not be known by the end of this season or the next.
Last I checked, Grady was 7th, but he didn't coach more than 40 years like some of the guys on the list. P.S. Hutch sucks.

Top Bottom