If I had to offer food for thought...

lol....I had a few moments where I was like why aren't we running the damn ball more... :)

Gotta love it, it is tough for us Gopher fans to embrace being the dominant team.
I'd point out to PJ that he may want to reconsider his squeeze-the-life-out-of-the-game strategy when dominating in the opening half. Here's why.

Notice that despite the statistical dominance, the Gophers hadn't really put the game away at the half? This means that if Thorne doesn't fumble on the opening drive of the second half, it's a different game.

One consequence of always driving the bus in slow motion is that the team is likely to only get 3 or so true drives in the opening half. And if the team ever fumbles, or ever has a bad holding penalty, or ever drops the ball and kills a drive, well, you end up in a situation where the team is dominating statistically (first downs, yards, TOP, etc.) but the score is 13-0 at the half. And you have to wait until the third quarter elapses until you've really tilted game situation.

If you're having a game where everything is clicking and you're dominating: speed up and tilt game situation in the first half. Don't ALWAYS drive the bus in slow.
Us long-time diehards are always nervous having been burned so many times before,

Shortening the game is why I think we have had so many close calls against lesser non-conference teams. Stands to reason that the lesser team benefits from fewer overall possessions as luck plays more of a role in a 5 possession game than a 500 possession game. That being the case, I didn’t notice us bleeding the clock just to bleed the clock like we have in previous years.

Us long-time diehards are always nervous having been burned so many times before,

Shortening the game is why I think we have had so many close calls against lesser non-conference teams. Stands to reason that the lesser team benefits from fewer overall possessions as luck plays more of a role in a 5 possession game than a 500 possession game. That being the case, I didn’t notice us bleeding the clock just to bleed the clock like we have in previous years.
We are back to doing what we did in 2019. We control the clock, control TOP but we don't drain it to 1 second with every snap. We somehow all just need to erase the last 2 years from our brains (at least as far as the offense was concerned). Those dark terrible times are over and things are back to where they should be. Not the same offense as 2019.....potentially something even better.

Top Bottom