If Garcia is out, who starts against Purdue?

Who takes Garcia’s spot?

• JoJ

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Fox on the run!

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Carrington

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Lumbering Jack

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Betts are off

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
This will be telling about JoJ’s status.

Tough call.

If Ben starts Fox, does he completely lose JoJ?

Starting JoJ most likely wouldn’t bother Fox at all. Plus JoJ seems to be better starting.

Big Jack ain’t starting!

Small Ball? Go Payne, Christie, Carrington, Mitchell and Hawkins?

Should be interesting!

Is small ball effective against Purdue?

This might be an intriguing option. Payne passing out to 4 shooters might be fun if the Gophers are on🔥!

Last edited:

JOJ has starting experience and is more physically capable of dealing with Edey than Fox is. My guess is it would be him that starts.

That said, I like Fox's chances of at least annoying the big man by moving around a ton and making him work.

Well, supposedly they have Payne, Fox and Wilson. Much rather see that than the Ola-Joseph match up from last season. That was just cruelty by Ben.
Apologies, I got off track. Really don’t know what he will do with starters if Garcia isn’t able to go.

Edey rarely leaves the lane, if Fox could shoot from beyond 6 feet and Purdue played man to man you might have something. You need Payne to have a great game, get Edey in foul trouble hopefully.

Gotta be JOJ

Fox would likely be worse on both ends than Jack although both probably imitate a version of my personal basketball game (5 fouls/zero points)

Carrington and Betts may not even be able to hit him hard enough for it to be considered a foul.

Would like to think that Jack could play for a few minutes and not foul but the IA game has wrecked that for me.

Payne will need to hold the line

Tbh I don’t even try to play Garcia banged up.

This game isn’t a win regardless. Why have him banged up going against Edey plus guys like Gillis who mix it up.

To have any chance to hang with Purdue you basically have to challenge their guards and expose them on D so it’s not really a Garcia type game anyways

This might be an intriguing option. Payne passing out to 4 shooters might be fun if the Gophers are on🔥!
Unfortunately that line of thinking won't work. Simply because Payne will be sitting for more minutes with foul trouble then actually playing time.

I think this is the perfect time to bring out the HAMMER!!!

Gotta be JOJ

Fox would likely be worse on both ends than Jack although both probably imitate a version of my personal basketball game (5 fouls/zero points)

Carrington and Betts may not even be able to hit him hard enough for it to be considered a foul.

Would like to think that Jack could play for a few minutes and not foul but the IA game has wrecked that for me.

Payne will need to hold the line
But will he walk it?

It won't be Rock Raven. We don't want to burn the redshirt so we can save his eligibility for next year, Ben Johnson's real year zero.

purdue-center-zach-edey-15-works-the-ball-against-the-defense-of-minnesota-forward-joshua-ola-joseph-1-during-the-first-half-of-an-ncaa-college-basketball-game-sunday-dec-4-2022-in-west-lafayette-ind-ap-photodoug-mcschooler-2M9JXEA.jpg

I think Garcia will play. However, if he doesn’t, start JOJ. Payne is very likely to get into early foul trouble again in this game no matter what the coaches tell him.

Purdue has demonstrated that they can be beat. Of course we have shown that we can play horribly, or great (for stretches). Anything can happen — maybe Edey takes one to the “lower body.”

I think Garcia will play. However, if he doesn’t, start JOJ. Payne is very likely to get into early foul trouble again in this game no matter what the coaches tell him.

Purdue has demonstrated that they can be beat. Of course we have shown that we can play horribly, or great (for stretches). Anything can happen — maybe Edey takes one to the “lower body.”
C’mon, man. Only the Skunks coach the “nut punch.”

Doesn't really matter to be honest. The only way we win this game is with some unreal bad play by Purdue or on fire 3-point shooting the whole game from the Gophers. Rest Garcia and try to see if you can finish the season on a run.

If Garcia doesn't play - it doesn't matter who starts.

I don't think the Gophers could beat Purdue at full strength. Maybe one chance in 100.

without Garcia, it's more like 1 chance in 1,000.

and I'm a Ben Johnson supporter - but I'm also a realist. (at least I think so). The Gophers are not consistent enough to play with the best teams in the conference, even when healthy. They can play a good 20 to 25 minutes a night. unfortunately, games are 40 minutes long.

Farleigh Dickinson beat Purdue doing this exact thing. They didn't have a guy on their roster taller than 6'7!

C’mon, man. Only the Skunks coach the “nut punch.”
Of course. My point is that any player can get injured at any time (as we have seen). I was never coached to “play dirty,” nor did I ever coach a kid to do so. C’mon man!

This will be telling about JoJ’s status.

Tough call.

If Ben starts Fox, does he completely lose JoJ?

Starting JoJ most likely wouldn’t bother Fox at all. Plus JoJ seems to be better starting.

Big Jack ain’t starting!

Small Ball? Go Payne, Christie, Carrington, Mitchell and Hawkins?

Should be interesting!
I feel like he has already lost JOJ.

Fox or Carrington. JOJ.....who knows what is going on with his situation?

Top Bottom