'I was a fan': Rossi talks missing Gophers' win at Illinois after positive COVID test

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

The Sunday after the Gophers lost 45-44 in overtime at Maryland, Rossi took a COVID-19 test like he, his coaching colleagues and all players do daily. His came back positive. He was sent home and went into quarantine. He coached virtually all week leading up to the game at Illinois, then let the team handle the rest.

Go Gophers!!

Had to have been tough yet kind of fun watching the game like a fan as he couldn't do anything once the game started.

So was the D better because he wasn't involved or are they actually improving. That is the real question.

DAE remember the holer who uncovered Rossi’s resume lies? I remember they didn’t have a posting by history before that. One of the great mysteries of this board.

So was the D better because he wasn't involved or are they actually improving. That is the real question.
Remember a couple years back when the defense was terrible and then got better?

That’s not the real question in my mind. Rossi was involved in the game planning and practice all week leading up to the Illinois game. I’m wondering how much of the improved defensive performance against Illinois is attributable to better play and how much is due to the fact that Illinois was by far the worst offense we have faced.

That’s not the real question in my mind. Rossi was involved in the game planning and practice all week leading up to the Illinois game. I’m wondering how much of the improved defensive performance against Illinois is attributable to better play and how much is due to the fact that Illinois was by far the worst offense we have faced.
As always, a little of each. There's no doubt the defense set a better edge, got more pressure on the QB, and tackled better -- particularly the DBs. That said, a lot of that was due to the luxury of playing 2-deep and other press/zone coverages with little worry that the Illini QB would be able to beat MN with his arm. The Iowa QB is obviously much more talented, so it'll be interesting to see the gameplan tonight. MN will likely start with the same philosophy and commit more DBs to the run while forcing the kid to make difficult throws. If he makes them early, it'll be a long night.

Iowa has a much better run game than Illinois, too. Gophers stats against the pass are ... passable. Gophers stats against the run game are still very bad. I suspect that defensive improvement is occurring slowly but surely as (1) all the new starters and playing back-ups gain full-speed game experience and (2) the coaches adapt defensive strategies as best they can to the experience level of the young, talented athletes in defense. If defensive growth continues this week, and our offense plays as it can, we can win. If the young guys on defense aren’t quite there yet versus an Iowa-style running attack (causing us perhaps to cover in ways that increase vulnerability to explosive passing plays), it could be tough. Iowa’s top WR will be back from his one-game suspension(!) for being arrested and charged for driving 70+ while intoxicated on a city street, so their offense will have all weapons at hand.

It was also Illinois...

I'll give Rossi credit for when he turned the defense around, as I think he changed a lot when he took over

I don't think the guys who ran the show on the field for Illinois did the same when Rossii was out sick.

Apples, Oranges.

Top Bottom