I need your help!!

DL65

Reaction score
Although I've already provided summaries for this year's Unscientific Survey, I'm still reviewing the comments of this year's respondents and planning for next year's survey. (It's always good to review and evaluate the survey soon after its completion - while it's still fresh - and plan for the next installment.)

After last year's survey, GopherLady gave some suggestions, when I requested input, which I included in this year's survey. I've recorded the comments and questions that GoAUpher would like added to the survey. I'd certainly welcome more ideas, however. So, please feel free to post or send me your ideas and possible questions for next year's survey. I want to keep the survey fresh, fun, informative and instructive. As GopherLady, Bleedgopher, and et al said, we want more posters and opinions. You make GopherHole what it is and contribute to its success. And so it is with the annual Unscientific Survey, its success is dependent on your participation and the ideas that you provide. It's your survey!

Thank You in advance!

Go Gophers!!

Favorite game of all time

Hi DL! I'm Working this AM ( :<( ) on a speech, and saw your post. All right, I'm goofing off a little too. I suggest adding two more questions to the survey, about specific games.

1) Your favorite Gopher game of all time - any year, any sport.
2) Your favorite Gopher game attended of all time - any year, any sport.

For me: 1) is a tie both basketball games, and both rivalry games - 1982 overtime victory over Iowa, and 1994 "Voshon Lenard" overtime victory over Iowa.

2) Would have to be a fall 1981 football victory over tOSU by 35-31 with Hohensee connecting with Jay Carroll for the game winner.

Great Suggestions!!

Anderson8284,

I like your suggestions a lot. They're somwhat like GoAUpher's suggestions, but they have a decided bent.

I also like the games you listed! I still see Lute Olson's face of disbelief when Zebedee Howell banked in a free throw near the end of the tight game. I don't recall Zebedee Howell as a proficient free throw shooter. Rebounder, yes. In any case, I think it was the last season that the Hawks played in the old fieldhouse and it was a big win for the Big 10 Champs - Golden Gophers! IMHO, the Hawks going to Carver Hawkeye is not too different from the Gophers going from Memorial Stadium to the Metrodome. (At least Carver Hawkeye is on campus, however.) They lost a lot of their home court advantage and atmosphere, which is usually subdued to say the least.

Your selection of Vohon Lenard's game against the Hawks in 1994 at Williams Arena was (dare I say it) a "Barn Burner!" The Gophers kept coming back with a never say die attitude and won after three overtime periods. Probably Lenard's best game as a Gopher. I'm sure there were a lot of fans physically and emotionally drained at the end.

The football win over the Buckeyes in 1981 is also a good pick. It was Minnesota's last win in the "Old Brickhouse" and over Ohio State until 2000, when they defeated the Bucks in Columbus, 29-17. What a game!! The 1981 crew was a pretty good team (better than their 6-5 record) and with a little luck they might have won a couple more games (1 more and they would have been bowl bound). They were a fun team to watch.

Go Gophers!!

This is way, way, way before most of you. But in the 60's the Gophers shut out a #1 (I believe) ranked Michigan Wolverine team something like 16-0 or 13-0 at old on campus Memorial Stadium. And if memory serves me right, Old Murray Warmath was Head Coach, and Butch Nash was an Assistant. Can GopherHole staff dig thru archives to help me with my failing memory, except for that never lost memory??????

Dr. Don,

The game you're referencing occurred in 1977. Cal Stoll was the coach, Butch Nash was an assistant and he gave an inspirational speech that helped motivate the Gophers as they defeated Michigan in Memorial Stadium, 16-0. The Wolverines were ranked number one coming into the game.

Murray Warmath did enjoy some success, however, against the Wolverines in the 1960s. In 1960, the National Championship season, the Gophers shut out Michigan at Ann Arbor, 10-0. The following season Minnesota defeated Michigan, 23-20; 1962, Minnesota 17 Michigan 0; 1963, another Gopher win and shut out, 6-0 (four successive wins over the Wolverines!!!); and Minnesota than defeated Michigan in 1965 and 1967 after falling to the Wolverines in 1964 and 1966. Things were certainly different back then.

In addition to winning their last Big 10 Championship in 1967, it also was the last year in which the Gophers won all three traveling trophies: Pig, Jug, Axe.

Hopefully we'll again enjoy success as we did way back when.

Go Gophers!!

You must remember that Michigan went from 1951 through 1963 without winning a Conference championship. They won a NC in 1964. Then, they went romr 1965 to 1970 without winning another Big Ten Title. That was perhaps the longest dry spell for Michigan for as long as they were associated with the Big Ten Conference. This does not diminish the accomplishments of Murray against MI in that run though. What may be the most sifnificant factors for that Michigan dry spell would have been the fact tha Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota had a very nice run in the Big Ten from 1952 through 1962. OSU was also power, winning 4 Big Ten championships during that 10 year period. Wisconsin won 3 Big Ten titles. Iowa won 2 Big Ten titles and tied for a third. Minnesota won one Big Ten title and Michigan State won one championship during that 11 season run. It was a tough time for the Corn Blues during the 1952 through 1962 seasons. That NC in 1964 was a reprive for them. Then, in 1965 and 1966 MSU aced their Michigan rivals out.

Then, of course, Bo arrived on the scene and Bo and Woody held court for the next few decades.

YES!!!! Thank you DL for refreshing the dead brain cells of mine. Back then, man oh man, was that smashed mouth football. And we can get back to it finally, leaving the Humpty Dump behind and getting back on campus. Thanks for the memories, DL.

GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!

What is really interesting about the way back years of Golden Gopher FB history, is that in the 1958 or 59 season, Murray Warmath was hung in effigy on the U of M campus, and the following year brings on a National Champion. What ever happened to the madness and insanity of Golden Gopher FB?

I have an opinion...we, the University of Minnesota, ended up with a President of the College that could have give two hoots about athletics, and he destroyed the tradition of Gopher Pride. His name was Malcolm Moos.

Bob Bruinicks....Please keep working to bring it back.

DL, again, thanks for all that you do with this survey. We take the input and feedback very seriously and are working to integrate many of the recommendations.

I like the favorite game question. A couple of more to consider:

- Where on the road have you seen the Gophers play (basketball and football)?
- Who is your dream non-conference opponent?
- Do you collect Gopher memorbillia? If so, what are your favorite items?
- Who do you attend Gopher games with? (spouse, parent, child, friend, alone, etc.)
- What year do you predict the Gophers will return to the Rose Bowl/Final Four?
- Gopher football/basketball is great because?...

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher has some fantastic suggestions. I will suggest:
-What is your favorite football/basketball player?
-Describe a memorable football/basketball moment?

For instance - I once stuffed Voshon Lenard in a pick up game at the rec. center (I'm not overly tall or athletic) and he got really pissed and the next possession he went over me for a dunk but threw if off the back of the rim and the ball flew 50 feet backwards out of bounds near mid-court.

I think getting the survey to provide better insight on each person, and throw in some fun and unusual stories would make it even more fun to read.

BleedGopher and GoldInDirt,

I like your suggestions! Fun is a key word. As I said earlier, I want the survey to be fresh, informative and fun!!

Keep the ideas/suggestions coming!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom