I asked an Illinois reporter six questions...

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Before every game, I ask a reporter who covers the Gophers upcoming opponent to give us a view from the opponent’s perspective.

I asked Doug Bucshon from Orange and Blue News six questions about the Illinois Fighting Illini.

Minnesota hosts Illinois in Minneapolis on November 5th, this will be the 76th meeting between the two programs.

Huge thanks to Doug for giving us his thoughts!

Follow Doug on Twitter: @DougBucshon

Follow Noel on Twitter: @N0elthompson

1. The Illinois Fighting Illini finished the 2022 season with an overall record of 8-5, finishing second in the Big Ten West by going 5-4 in the Big Ten. It was one of the top 15 winning seasons in over 130 years. It is now year three under head coach Bret Bielema. Illinois hasn’t enjoyed back-to-back winning regular seasons since the early 1990s. What were the expectations for this team heading into the season? In your opinion, have they met those expectations?

No, they haven’t. It’s been a disappointing season so far for the team and the fans. Even with heavy losses to graduation and the NFL Draft, most preseason expectations were for the momentum from 2022 to carry over and for the Illini to contend once again in the Big Ten West.

Most preseason prognosticators saw Illinois returning to another bowl game, and while that’s still possible, it seems unlikely with the team sitting at 3-5 heading into the game at Minnesota. Maybe more disappointing than the record is the way they’ve lost. Illinois has looked out of sorts at times and let games get away from them because of self-inflicted wounds.

It appeared Bielema had figured it out after a surprising win at Maryland. Then the wheels came off in the fourth quarter against Wisconsin, and they let a big lead slip away.

2. Illinois enters Saturday’s game with an overall record of 3-5 and 1-4 in the Big Ten. They are coming off an idle week after a tough loss to Wisconsin, where the Badgers scored 18 straight points to win 25-21. It appears that the idle week came at the right time. What has gone right for Illinois this year? What has gone wrong?

The main thing that has gone right is the play of All-American defensive lineman Jer’Zhan Newton. He’s a stud and a future first-round draft pick. More on Newton below.

Quarterback Luke Altmyer, a transfer from Ole Miss, has a bright future. Though he’s had a few hiccups and tossed a few too many picks, he has the arm talent and athleticism to be a successful quarterback in this league. His development is one of the things that has gone right.

Offensive line play has gone from exceedingly poor to pretty decent over the past couple of weeks. You can spin that as something that has gone right. They’ve improved, without a doubt. They were fighting through injuries and playing musical chairs up front early in the year, but now they seem to have hit their stride.

A lot has gone wrong. One of the most frustrating things is the costly penalties. Illinois is the second-most penalized team in the Big Ten. Many of the penalties have been of the 15-yard variety, and they came at inopportune times on defense, helping to keep opponent drives alive. Illinois has to play a fundamentally sound defense to get stops, but there have been too many mistakes, like the penalties, missed assignments, and missed tackles.

3. Like Minnesota, Illinois enters the 2023 season needing to replace a star at the running back position after Chase Brown goes to the NFL. The Illini also entered this year with a new starter under center. Illinois is averaging 20 points per game. What are the strengths of this offense? What is one area that concerns you entering the game against Minnesota?

The Illini sport the No. 4 passing offense in the Big Ten through the first eight games. Slot receiver Isaiah Williams is one of the top receivers in the Big Ten. Altmyer has connected on some big plays over the top.

Illinois wants to run to set up the pass. They do mix it up some on first down, but establishing the running game is a priority. It hasn’t come easy, but they have stuck with it and made some strides in the last couple of weeks. Success in the early downs puts Altmyer in advantageous situations, and he’s good when he has a clean pocket.

Turnovers are nearly always a factor, and that stat favors Minnesota. That’s probably the biggest area of concern. The Gophers take the ball away at a fairly high clip, and Illinois has 14 turnovers and a negative turnover margin on the season.

4. In 2022, Illinois boasted one of the best defenses in the country. They finished first in the Big Ten in points allowed by only allowing 12.8 points per game. They were also one of the best at rushing and passing defense. It seems that the defense has taken a step back this year. (Which is understandable given the NFL talent they lost and the DC heading to coach at Purdue.) The Illinois defense is giving up 27.8 points and 396 yards a game, which is at or near the bottom in the Big Ten in both categories. What do you make of this defense? Is there a specific area they struggle with? How have they gotten better as the season has gone on?

Illinois can’t stop the run. Opposing teams are averaging 4.18 yards per rushing attempt. Braelon Allen put the game away for Wisconsin in that game, rushing for 145 yards on 29 carries. The linebacker play has improved of late, but Illinois is still giving up chunk yards on the ground.

And when you can’t stop the run, you’re going to be bad on third down. The Illini’s Big Ten-worst 46.36 opponent third down conversion rate is probably the telltale stat for the defense. Teams have been able to sustain drives and punch them in at a high clip when they get in the red zone.

5. Can you give us a few impact players that Minnesota fans should know about for the game on Saturday? Are there any players that will miss the game due to injury or players coming back from injury?

Newton was ejected for the targeting against Wisconsin, so he will sit out the first half against Gopher. He’s the kind of impactful defensive lineman that opponents need to be aware of at all times and double teams. Newton was the highest-graded defensive player in the nation by PFF in the Wisconsin game.

The Illini are hopeful that defensive lineman Keith Randolph and running back Reggie Love will be back in action this week after missing the previous game with injuries. The Illini are thin up front, with Randolph out of the lineup. Freshman running back Kaden Feagin filled in admirably for Love and will get his share of carries again this week.

Illinois wants to put the ball in the hands of Williams as much as possible in space and let him make plays. He’ll get the ball on quick slants, bubble screens, and jet sweeps. Williams has been a huge deep threat, but he’s slippery and effective on quick hitters.

6. This Saturday marks the 76th time Minnesota and Illinois will face each other on the football field. P.J. Fleck is 3-3 against Illinois at Minnesota. It’s no secret to Gophers fans that Bret Bielema is undefeated against the Gophers as a head football coach, as he has a perfect 9-0 record against them. The Illini come to Minneapolis as two-point underdogs. What does Illinois need to do to come away with a victory? What is your prediction for the game?

It should be a slugfest. Illinois will need to win the line of scrimmage against a physical Minesota offensive line and slow down the Gopher’s running game. They will want to get stops on first and second down and put Minnesota in third and long situations. Third-down stops have been a problem all season.

Offensively, I think Illinois needs to strike on big plays. Though they have sustained some long drives occasionally, they haven’t been consistent enough to win games by grinding them out. The Illini have 14 plays this season of 30 or more yards, ranking third in the Big Ten. They will need a couple more on Saturday.

Minnesota is more physical. The Gophers’ defense has been stingy. They should handle Illinois in the trenches and extend their winning streak to three games.

Minnesota 24 Illinois 17

Kind of a sobering report on Illinois from someone that covers them. It sounds like defending the running game is their Achilles heal which bodes well for us. Hopefully we get a fast start (which hasn't been the case this year) and don't let the losing streak to Bielema affect us.

If anything, we've exercised many of the past demons, so I'm confident we'll be ready to put another L on Team Bielema. Row the Boat, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!!

Kind of a sobering report on Illinois from someone that covers them. It sounds like defending the running game is their Achilles heal which bodes well for us. Hopefully we get a fast start (which hasn't been the case this year) and don't let the losing streak to Bielema affect us.

If anything, we've exercised many of the past demons, so I'm confident we'll be ready to put another L on Team Bielema. Row the Boat, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers!!
We have to hit on a couple big pass plays in this game.

Outside of say Iowa (where it is understandable you'd avoid taking those chances...) we've shown a will to take shots occasionally. Maybe not to some fan's satisfaction but we've done it.

Altmyer looks really athletic. The MN D will need to have a good day.

hope we decide to come out and play with more pace. should try to maximize plays prior to newton being in in the 2nd half. on defense, one of the lbs or Henderson need to spy altmeyer on every play. Make him beat you from the pocket, where he's been prone to turn it over and take sacks at a pretty high clip (29 times already this year)

Agree. DJ #9 and BSF can be keys to our winning. Illinois has a passing game. They will hit on some explosive plays. Their QB is a good passer and is dangerous as a runner. If our D can control QB Altmeyer and WR Williams (better yet force some turnovers)--keep Illinois off the board early--we should win. But, as with Iowa, if we let Illinois build a lead of 10 early, while we dither on offense, a loss becomes a near certainty. One route to victory is for the Gophers to score early, to shift the pressure onto Illinois. Make Illinois play catch-up, not vice versa.

A timing consideration: Last week, Illinois led the Badgers 21-7 at the end of the 3rd Q. Wisconsin (ala Northwestern) suddenly came alive and reeled off 18 unanswered points in the 4Q to win. Folks on the Illinois Board attribute Illinois' dominance in the first half, and its collapse in the second half, to the ejection of DL All American Newton for targeting. Newton will miss the first half of our game, but will re-enter in the 2nd half. He is a disruptive force and game changer. It would be nice if the Gopher offense could find its footing early and build a decent lead in the first half, while Newton is absent, rather than be stuck trying to recover from a deficit in the second half while Newton is raising havoc.

Not sure if I actually heard this (anybody confirm?): When the Gophers' opening drive against MSU ended, right out of the blocks, on the Tyler fumble, one of the commentators (I think) mumbled some statistic about how the Gophers were one of two or three FBS teams that hadn't yet scored this season on an opening drive. Not sure I actually heard that. Does anybody remember? (Somebody tape the game?) Maybe the comment meant not scoring a TD (didn't count FGs?). Anyway, getting behind early has been a huge problem for PJ in his losses. We aren't built to be a comeback team.

Edit: I have checked, briefly, and it appears that the Gophers have not yet scored this year, either a TD or a FG, on an opening drive (several scores on 2nd drive). Eight whiffs. No idea how to confirm if that is common or rare in FBS football overall.

Last edited:

I remember that stat. the announcer said the Gophers were one of 2 FBS teams that had not scored on an opening drive all season. I tried to verify that but so far can't find any documented evidence.

as far as Illinois, my impression from the interview was that they think Illinois has improved over the course of the season and could benefit from the return of injured players.

But - it sounds as if Illinois has problems stopping the run. If Taylor or Evans is back, that will help - but if they're not back, get ready for Jordan Nubin to put up 35+ carries.

I remember that stat. the announcer said the Gophers were one of 2 FBS teams that had not scored on an opening drive all season. I tried to verify that but so far can't find any documented evidence.

as far as Illinois, my impression from the interview was that they think Illinois has improved over the course of the season and could benefit from the return of injured players.

But - it sounds as if Illinois has problems stopping the run. If Taylor or Evans is back, that will help - but if they're not back, get ready for Jordan Nubin to put up 35+ carries.
Don't forget, Jordan Nubin can get hurt too during a game. If he's the only available good back, let's not tempt fate.

Don't forget, Jordan Nubin can get hurt too during a game. If he's the only available good back, let's not tempt fate.

that's up to Fleck. IF Taylor and Evans are out, then the question becomes - does Sean Tyler get another chance? If Tyler is in the doghouse, who else gets carries?

Illinois has had problems stopping the run. What do you think Fleck is going to do? he's going to run the ball.

I am not joking here - if Taylor and Evans are out, I honestly think you could see Nubin with 40 to 45 carries. (but I think Kent Kitzmann's record is safe)

that's up to Fleck. IF Taylor and Evans are out, then the question becomes - does Sean Tyler get another chance? If Tyler is in the doghouse, who else gets carries?

Illinois has had problems stopping the run. What do you think Fleck is going to do? he's going to run the ball.

I am not joking here - if Taylor and Evans are out, I honestly think you could see Nubin with 40 to 45 carries. (but I think Kent Kitzmann's record is safe)
It’s not that Sean is in a doghouse and can’t get out. It’s his last year of college football and he chose to play at Minnesota. Fleck wants him to have success.

The question is, how do we win at least three more games. It will not be by Nubin splitting carries into the teeth of the defenses with Tyler.

The way to protect Nubin as primary back is to run a balanced game with enough passing to keep them from cheating up in the box. Nubin can probably handle 25-30 carries well if he’s not running behind six guys trying to block nine defenders.

It’s not that Sean is in a doghouse and can’t get out. It’s his last year of college football and he chose to play at Minnesota. Fleck wants him to have success.

The question is, how do we win at least three more games. It will not be by Nubin splitting carries into the teeth of the defenses with Tyler.

The way to protect Nubin as primary back is to run a balanced game with enough passing to keep them from cheating up in the box. Nubin can probably handle 25-30 carries well if he’s not running behind six guys trying to block nine defenders.
I think the key with getting Tyler involved is getting him in space where he excels.... screen passes mostly, but maybe line him up in the slot a few times with slants...

I think the key with getting Tyler involved is getting him in space where he excels.... screen passes mostly, but maybe line him up in the slot a few times with slants...
Lining up in the slot would be a possibility for getting him the ball. Screens and flat passes are harder to execute if you only put him on the field for that purpose. Everybody including the defense knows what’s coming if that’s all he does.

To use him as a receiver out of the backfield he has to first be a credible threat to run the ball.

Would not be surprised if the Illini come out with an aggressive passing scheme for their first possession that takes the D time to adjust. I think Coach B believes his best shot against this Gophers team is to just get the first 3 or 7 points and try to hold that edge through the game.

We might run all over them but my perception is the Red Zone is just not our friend this season. The one time we had a significant lead we blew it big time.

Would love to see today a strong D, competent running game, and lots of Illinois mistakes to make this a solid W to gain bowl eligibility.

Ski U Mah!

RB room is scarily thin. Someone pay off the football gods.

Intriguing game for sure. Interested to see what happens.

Top Bottom