I’ll admit I was totally wrong

AK is the only QB I’ve ever seen where every throw comes out of his hand nose down. Even in warm ups. They only way it gets to the receiver is if he throws it as hard as he can
I've thought about this a little more. You are right about the nose of the ball being down. I'm an old QB and no where near Big 10 caliber, but throwing the ball with the nose down is about as hard as it is to shoot a basketball with top spin. It can be done, but one's mechanics have to be totally F'ed.

I don’t care.
I’m simply saying he has never said he doesn’t know X’s and O’s
That’s a fake narrative that never occurred.

If he had said it someone would be able to pull up an article with a quote of him saying that.
He definitely said, “I’m not an X’s and O’s guy.” I remember hearing him say those words. I think it was from that documentary a couple years ago.

The 18 ACT score thing is also a direct quote that he said in the same speech as the , “If I wasn’t here I would be teaching sixth grade social studies” comment (paraphrased).

PJ sells himself as a program builder, not a tactician. He would tell you that himself and has publicly said it on multiple occasions.

He definitely said, “I’m not an X’s and O’s guy.” I remember hearing him say those words. I think it was from that documentary a couple years ago.
That is not true. And you won’t be able to find a direct quote of him saying it nor a video of him saying it. Because it doesn’t exist.

Saying he leaves X’s and O’s to coordinators is not the same thing as saying he isn’t an X’s and O’s guy Or saying he doesn’t know them

Last edited:

OK, one more thing that bugs. The photo that is now up when the Gopherhole opens. AK's eyes are watching the ball come out of his hand. In my experience that leads to throwing behind the receiver. QB 101: "Watch the receiver, not the flight of the ball."

OK, one more thing that bugs. The photo that is now up when the Gopherhole opens. AK's eyes are watching the ball come out of his hand. In my experience that leads to throwing behind the receiver. QB 101: "Watch the receiver, not the flight of the ball."
Good catch.

I had been wondering if he was not looking at his target for some time. Just couldn’t find anything that was easy to see.

Got to watch ithe target all the way, till it the ball arrives.

It's interesting how cyclical this quarterback conversation has been for the Gophers over the years.
Going back more than a decade:
  • Adam Weber is struggling, put in MarQueis Gray
  • MarQueis Gray isn't getting it done, start Philip Nelson
  • Philip Nelson is bad, start Mitch Leidner
  • Mitch Leidner isn't doing the job, put in Conor Rhoda
  • Conor Rhoda isn't any good, start Demry Croft
  • Tanner Morgan doesn't have it anymore, put Athan Kaliakmanis in.
  • Athan Kaliakmanis isn't working out, we need to go to the transfer portal
Morgan broke the cycle for a bit with some consistency but for the most part, the QB play has been unsatisfying in a lot of seasons and it always has us looking for the next passer.
I mean, Adam Weber, Marquise Gray, and Mitch Leidner each held onto the starting job through their tenure. Gray only became the starter after Weber left, Leidner only became the starter after Gray left and he beat out Nelson for the job, and Rhoda never actually became a solid starter and certainly never started over Leidner that I remember.

None of those stories was different than Morgan, who beat out Annexstad, and then held the job.

I don’t care.
I’m simply saying he has never said he doesn’t know X’s and O’s
That’s a fake narrative that never occurred.

If he had said it someone would be able to pull up an article with a quote of him saying that.
I never said he said he doesn't know X's and O's. I'm saying that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_190204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_190204_Chrome.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 1

PJ himself admits he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and it's apparent he's not an X's and O's guy. He needs good coordinators. Rossi is a good coordinator. Other than Ciorocca, his offensive coordinators have been terrible. Is PJ afraid to hire an experienced, strong coordinator? Why was Ciorocca so anxious to leave, twice? PSU was understandable. Rutgers? Would an experienced, regarded coordinator actually come to work for PJ? Does PJ intentionally hire less experienced, less credentialed coordinators?
At one time compensation was an issue at Mn. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

I've thought about this a little more. You are right about the nose of the ball being down. I'm an old QB and no where near Big 10 caliber, but throwing the ball with the nose down is about as hard as it is to shoot a basketball with top spin. It can be done, but one's mechanics have to be totally F'ed.
i have asked this several times but no one is catching on. Who is the QB coach ?

Yeah for sure this. Minnesota is currently trotting out:
  • A QB that's playing his first full season
  • A first year QB coach that has never coached QBs before
  • A first year co-offensive coordinator that has never been an offensive coordinator before
  • A first year offensive play caller that has never
  • Oh and the last three are all the same person
Fleck is completely negligent when it comes to hiring. It's absurd.
Thank

Yeah for sure this. Minnesota is currently trotting out:
  • A QB that's playing his first full season
  • A first year QB coach that has never coached QBs before
  • A first year co-offensive coordinator that has never been an offensive coordinator before
  • A first year offensive play caller that has never
  • Oh and the last three are all the same person
Fleck is completely negligent when it comes to hiring. It's absurd.
thank you . finally someone who understands. completley disgusting coaching.

Evidence that PJF may indeed be an X’s and O’s guy:

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0

Morgan was the pits in 2022? He had a 67% completion rate and 151 QB rating. We would dream of having a QB with those stats again.
I’d agree. And I was one that wanted AK to play last year. TM was not good IMO besides 2019, but he played way better than AK has this year with about 30% of the physical talent our current QB has. Too bad you can’t put Morgan’s head on AK’s body…

Top Bottom