How would you like to be Texas today?

It would be nice to have that kind of recruiting power. Unfortunately Minnesota won't unless we land a great coach. Brewster could lead us into contention, but he won't lead us into immortality.

It would be nice to have that kind of recruiting power. Unfortunately Minnesota won't unless we land a great coach. Brewster could lead us into contention, but he won't lead us into immortality.

While I agree that has a lot to do with it, it also helps that Texas has great players coming out of the state every year that bleed football, while Minnesota has a great player like Henderson every few years.

250_dumb-and-dumber.jpg

I like it A LOT!

This is undoubtedly the best defensive class I've ever seen at Texas. Muschamp had a lot to do with getting Hicks, and I suspect a good deal of the other recruits. The rich get richer.

This is just sick:

ESPN U Top 150 OVERALL Rankings

DE Jeffcoat - #2
DT Bible - #14
DT Dorsey - #46
DE Wilson - #72
LB Hicks - # 4
LB Jackson - #86
LB Benson - #114
DB Byndom - #122
DB Phillips - #134
DB White - #103
DB Jackson - 4 star recruit according to Rivals (a 6'3 and very quick safety)

No offense to anyone in Minnesota, but Texas just has a ton going for it besides the coaching staff. Austin is a great college town. The weather is never really a negative factor. The fans are great. The tradition is great. And like someone already said, the state of Texas produces a surplus of talent that Texas can choose from. If you are hoping that one day Minnesota will recruit with equal success, you may need to revisit something I call reality.

It's the way the Gophers should be in hockey every year, essentially.

It's the way the Gophers should be in hockey every year, essentially.

Amen Brotha! The Gopher Hockey team should be the envy of college hockey. What the heck is going on over there at Mariucci? We should consistantly finish in the top tier of the WCHA every year and challenge for a national title. Do others feel this way too?

F@#k Texas, they're annoying. And yes I'm jealous..........but I still hate 'em

Amen Brotha! The Gopher Hockey team should be the envy of college hockey. What the heck is going on over there at Mariucci? We should consistantly finish in the top tier of the WCHA every year and challenge for a national title. Do others feel this way too?

Yes, we bring in top talent every year. I believe its time for a change

Great Coach

No offense to anyone in Minnesota, but Texas just has a ton going for it besides the coaching staff. Austin is a great college town. The weather is never really a negative factor. The fans are great. The tradition is great. And like someone already said, the state of Texas produces a surplus of talent that Texas can choose from. If you are hoping that one day Minnesota will recruit with equal success, you may need to revisit something I call reality.

I realize that and you misunderstood my quote. Obviously Minnesota does not have the depth of talent available in-state as well as the nice climate. That is why Minnesota will ONLY get great recruiting classes like that IF they have a great coach. Example: Ohio State and Penn State. They get top 10 recruiting classes every once in a while despite the amount of talent available in California/Texas/Florida because of their talent coaching and reputation. A great coach is an absolute must for us in that position.

Yes. Living in Boston and going to games here has only strengthened that feeling in me; half of the teams out here have Minnesota guys playing pivotal roles. You can't tell me some of them wouldn't want to be hometown stars at the U. There's so much talent in the state that there's no excuse for the flagship university not to have the premier program year in and year out.

I can't believe there's a kid named "Bible" AND he's going to Texas...I'm sure he's a real treat to talk to.

I can't believe there's a kid named "Bible" AND he's going to Texas...I'm sure he's a real treat to talk to.

We also have a DT coming in with the last name Cotton. I bet the aggies would have loved to get Bible and Cotton. So fitting. But I'm happy they are going to Texas.

And hey... Joe Dirt, even though you hate Texas, Texas still loves you.

:D

I realize that and you misunderstood my quote. Obviously Minnesota does not have the depth of talent available in-state as well as the nice climate. That is why Minnesota will ONLY get great recruiting classes like that IF they have a great coach. Example: Ohio State and Penn State. They get top 10 recruiting classes everyone once in a while despite the amount of talent available in California/Texas/Florida because of their talent coaching and reputation. A great coach is an absolute must for us in that position.

I see your point, but even Ohio St. and Penn St. have fertile recruiting grounds to rely on. Minnesota is somewhat behind the 8-ball so to speak. I think great coordinators are more important. I've never been hugely impressed by Mack as far as Xs and Os, but he sure can bring in the talent to get 10 wins a season. The years when we've done really well were more of a credit to the talent on the field or the defensive coordinators (Chizik and Muschamp). I think if Brewster can get some great coordinators while still improving the talent level, Minnesota's program will improve noticeably. But you never know what a "great" coach would bring to the table, or if Minnesota could realistically attract one to the table in the first place.

I realize that and you misunderstood my quote. Obviously Minnesota does not have the depth of talent available in-state as well as the nice climate. That is why Minnesota will ONLY get great recruiting classes like that IF they have a great coach. Example: Ohio State and Penn State. They get top 10 recruiting classes everyone once in a while despite the amount of talent available in California/Texas/Florida because of their talent coaching and reputation. A great coach is an absolute must for us in that position.

Excuse me. Have you ever heard of the craddle or triangle of quarterbacks? Have you heard that the state of Ohio alone produces over 170 D-1 recruits EACH year? Ohio and Pennsylvania are football recruiting hotbeds in football. Have you heard of the big 33 game? Recruiters from around the country comb the rousters hoping to land one of those players. Did I mention that Ohio State and Penn State select from this and other Ohio and Pennsylvania allstar game rousters?

You may have a point, but using those to programs are not good examples. They could easily win the BigTen ( and more) most every season with instate talent alone.

Excuse me. Have you ever heard of the craddle or triangle of quarterbacks? Have you heard that the state of Ohio alone produces over 170 D-1 recruits EACH year? Ohio and Pennsylvania are football recruiting hotbeds in football. Have you heard of the big 33 game? Recruiters from around the country comb the rousters hoping to land one of those players. Did I mention that Ohio State and Penn State select from this and other Ohio and Pennsylvania allstar game rousters?

You may have a point, but using those to programs are not good examples. They could easily win the BigTen ( and more) most every season with instate talent alone.

They are not perfect examples, however they are the most reasonable examples. The reason I used them is because they are A) in the Big 10 and B) in cold weather climates. I realize they also come from areas of the country that produce better talent on average than states like Minnesota. That being said, those states still do not produce as much talent as Texas/Florida/California. The quality of coaching/program is what puts these teams over the top and regularly into top 15 consideration.

Anyways, this still isn't my point. My point is, and I'll say it more clearly this time, that Minnesota will NEVER meet those conditions. They will never have a region that produces comparable talent. They will never have a climate that is enticing to students. Also, they'll likely not have a school prestigious enough academically to draw high-end recruits. They only thing they can change that will give them an edge is a great coach/great program. This would have to start with a great coach.

Understatement of the year. It will take a 8-10 years of top winning to get close to them. Only OSU and maybe (probably not) Michigan in the B10 can come in the neighborhood of Texas right now.

Top Bottom