How much do we see Leidner next week?

Reaction score
I think that Leidner is better at reading the option, and I think the option is going to work better against the Badger defense than what the Gophers have been doing the last four games.

Hopefully, not much, if any at all. Nelson has been playing great.

I think that Leidner is better at reading the option, and I think the option is going to work better against the Badger defense than what the Gophers have been doing the last four games.

So against a defense that is holding teams to under 100 yards a game rushing you would recommend using our QB that has shown next to nothing in the passing game as opposed to the guy that has been leading the team the past few weeks to victories? No offense but I hope we don't see Leidner at all next week.

I think it's going to be am intense physical battle. But, Gopher chances decrease if they turn the ball over and I think Mitch's reduced playing time of late is because he's put it on the ground more than any other player. That said, I think we'll see him. Gophers haven't been running as much option lately, have they? I think Nelson's ability in the play-action passing game, and stretching the defense with the jet sweeps has given Limegrover the opportunity to exploit defenses.

You're right, though. Wisconsin's strength on D is their front 7. We may need to attack them on the edges.

I don't think we'll see him at all unless something goes wrong with Nelson.

So against a defense that is holding teams to under 100 yards a game rushing you would recommend using our QB that has shown next to nothing in the passing game as opposed to the guy that has been leading the team the past few weeks to victories? No offense but I hope we don't see Leidner at all next week.

Before you get all nasty, go back and read the post. I didn't recommend anything, simply asked a question and then stated my opinion. Dear lord, who do you think you are?

I think Leidner is going to be an effective passer, and I think he's had some success. Ball security is so important and the option can be risky if a QB is too reckless.

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

I don't think we'll see him at all unless something goes wrong with Nelson.
I tend to agree with this. Maybe he goes in for a series or something, but I would guess unless Nelson is hurt or extremely ineffective that Mitch does not play much. I do agree he is better at running the read option, but Nelson is a better passer and those two fumbles a couple games ago may have hurt his chances of more PT...

FWIW - Leidner is not better at reading the option. Further, we have been running less read-option of late and Nelson is 100% better at selling the play-action. These are not opinions, but fact.

No Leidner. All Nelson.

Zero interest in seeing him run around holding the ball out in one hand begging to fumble. Nelson's getting it together.

Easy folks. Let's not completely trash Leidner. He's made some big plays for us. If the game is on the line in the last two weeks and Nelson gets dinged, all is not lost, at least for me. I think these two will be competing and getting better for the next couple of years, which bodes well for us.

Nelson should get most of the snaps but don't count out Mitch if we need a spark! We will need our best game of the year ! We can do it !

I dont think the run option will work very well. That and nelson has been playing well, making good decisions.

I think we'll see some 2 QB sets over the next 2 games.

I hope we see him late in the fourth, when we are up 35-0.

I actually think a Mitch start would be a surprise and that might be what we need? I do think Philip will and should play a lot but in those few games that Mitch started and Philip came in both QB's actually played well.
No doubt Becky will plan for Nelson and a change of pace may be just what we need to get momentum going our way. then slip Nelson in and continue rolling for a victory!

I actually think a Mitch start would be a surprise and that might be what we need? I do think Philip will and should play a lot but in those few games that Mitch started and Philip came in both QB's actually played well.
No doubt Becky will plan for Nelson and a change of pace may be just what we need to get momentum going our way. then slip Nelson in and continue rolling for a victory!

Phil is playing too well and this game will likely be close -- decided by a play or two. We finally have a trigger man in a groove. He gets the start if I'm deciding.

I wouldn't mind seeing Leidner near the goaline but other than that, I think it should be all Nelson unless he struggles.

None. If you can't protect the football, you are a liability to your team.

Top Bottom