How good is Kentucky- the new Fab 5

EVERY program has ups and downs, including Boeheims and Calhouns. It isn't that hard to understand. Tubby NEVER missed the tourney at KY. Ever. Never lost a FIRST ROUND game. Made six Sweet 16s and four Elite 8s. Won a National Title. Not bad.

Like I mentioned to FOT, UK normally enters the Tourn as a No 1 or 2 seed
Therefore they are playing a 16 or 15 in round 1. A team seeded that high
playing a 16 or 15 should win. As we both know, a 1 seed has never lost to a 16 seed so I don't know that Tubby did anything exceptional there, only what all No 1 seeds do.
One game I DO remember was 2003. UK entered the Tourn. as the overall No 1 seed. In the 2nd game against UAB, UAB started out very hot and
Tubby would NOT call a time out to stem the tide. By the time the 1st TV
time out arrived, UAB was ahead by almost 20 points. UK was never able to recover. Games like that happen is guess.
It was more than just the NCAA Tourn. By Tubby's final 2 years at UK they
were getting most of their wins against teams like High Point and Lipscumb. Going against top 20 schools was another story. While always
competitive, ( a trademark of Tubby coached teams ) they always seem to
come up short when a big game was on the line.
As mentioned. I think Tubby is a good coach and a very wonderful person.
Great role model and a man of character. I just don't know if he had the passion anymore to run a program that is a pressure cooker like UK.
Some sports franchises are tougher than others and the demand is higher
than others. Because of their history, UK basketball is one of those places.[/QUOTE]

TOTAL BULL*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# by a UK moron about Tubby's teams usually coming up short in big games.

I've BEEN a UK fan since 1966. I know more about UK history than you do. BY FAR!

Sorry, One last thing about this.
Pardon me for being long winded ( or fingers )
What I am trying to get across with the above posts are that while all teams
do have down times, UK being no exception, it was the forecast of the near future
not being any better. That is why many fans became disgruntled. It looked like UK
had fallen into a rut that only a coaching change would bring an end to.

Rupp had numerous disappointing seasons from 1959 through 1972. He was white.

Hall has numerous disappointing seasons from 1979 through 1985. He was white.

Tubby had two straight disappointing seasons in 2006 and 2007. He is not white.

Wonder why fewer UK fans became disgruntled under Rupp or Hall than Tubby?

The key word being IF

Regardless you can't win the Tourn without making the Final Four. You have ZERO chance.
Reagrdless of how good a coach Tubby is or isn't or how much you do or don't like him,
he has coached 20 years of Div 1 ball and only been to 1 Final Four. and never with
a team he put together himself. I am not trying to take any credit away from Tubby for
his Title, please understand that. Many people judge college b-ball success at years end
by who is left on that last weekend. Just like the NFL at this moment. It doesn't matter
how nice a season some NFL teams may have had, the only 2 teams that matter now are
the 2 in the Super Bowl.

I saw today that Alcorn State has lost 20 straight games.
Does that make you feel better about the Gophers losing 3 out of the last 4 ?

You can say that so and so didn't win either, but I don't believe it is wise
the measure one's success by the failure of others.

UK averages 1 FF per 5 years (that's 2 in 10 mathematically). Tubby averaged 1 in FF, or 1 short.

Tubby is in his 19th season and made 1 FF in his first 18 seasons.

Jim Calhoun is in his 37th season and made 2 FF in his first 36 seasons. (Hint: that's 1 in 18)

Calhoun is white. Tubby is not. Hmmm...

I lived in the South for a long time. I know how the Southern mentality is for the most part. I met so many nice people there who helped me be who I am. I have no anger toward anyone but those who discriminate people based on their skin color or nationality. When you or other Uk fans come here to stir things against Tubby, I get really upset. You guys need to let it go. Learn from Tubby and be a nice person. I have said many times in my replies to your posts that it is just a game. This is something that you and your friends don't understand. Should Duke fan start the same movement against coach K since they haven't been on the top for a while? No, becasue they have better class than you and your friends. In one of these posts that I read yesterday, someone mentioned that Tubby won NC with Pitino's players. Man, I wonder who gave them this idea???? Please stop your hate for Tubby and move on.

Wow.

I feel sorry for you.

Equating race to any of this is a copout and you know it. Racism is an AMERICAN PROBLEM and it exists in every facet of our society.

You can put a lot of blame on Kentucky fans about unrealistic expectations or pressure to win and those would be true but trying to turn this into a racially motivated discussion is bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# of the highest order.

Equating race to any of this is a copout and you know it. Racism is an AMERICAN PROBLEM and it exists in every facet of our society.

You can put a lot of blame on Kentucky fans about unrealistic expectations or pressure to win and those would be true but trying to turn this into a racially motivated discussion is bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# of the highest order.

The Truth, we have gone over this before. I went to Belmont as an undergrad. We had such an exciting basketball program and still do thanks to coach Byrd. However, I never even once I heard people saying that it was time for him to go. People are loyal to him and he is loyal to them. This loyalty was absent from day 1 for Tubby at UK (I am not saying all the fans). You cannot deny that. Is any person in Indiana questioning their rookie football coach? Is there anybody who is saying that Colts would have gone to Superball even if .... was the coach? People in Uk did that. They kept saying that Tubby won with Pitino's players. It is unfair to the man that you described in your previous post. Tubby is a great coach and will do it again before he retires. This year would have been great if there was not so many problem with these players.

Top Bottom