How good is Isaiah Ihnen?

Then that's on him. If playing his best position, in the middle of action, the position he will eventually get paid money to play, doesn't inspire him. Then he's a head case and will need to learn this lesson anyway.
Sure, sure he can learn his lesson while we lose or he can lead the team to wins on the perimeter.
Pretty easy decision for me as a coach. You can't force talented players to do things they don't want to do...they pout, they quit, they become a cancer....take the best of what you can get. Lot of years doing this in the gym.
Christie in one game is our best perimeter player.
Ihnen in three games is our second best...I'll live with that. He'll be a post defender if it is clear that'll help us win a game if he is primarily a perimeter player on offense.
And on a lighter note...he's going to have enough degrees after 9 years of college to earn pretty decent money with something besides basketball.

Last edited:

Ihnen pretty much drew two players during his minutes. First was #2, 6'11" 215, Carlton Linguard, who jumped center at the start of the game.
His next stint on the court he had #10, 6'8" 220, Chandler Cuthrell.
Then his 3rd time out drew Linguard again with just a touch of #21, PJ Carter, 6'5" 175 who had a basket on as jumper from the top of the key.
Only basket scored on him.
(Not to imply he's a defensive standout, just what transpired during his time on the court.)

Sure, sure he can learn his lesson while we lose or he can lead the team to wins on the perimeter.
Pretty easy decision for me as a coach. You can't force talented players to do things they don't want to do...they pout, they quit, they become a cancer....take the best of what you can get. Lot of years doing this in the gym.
Ihnen in three games is our second best...I'll live with that. He'll be a post defender if it is clear that'll help us win a game if he is primarily a perimeter player on offense.
And on a lighter note...he's going to have enough degrees after 9 years of college to earn pretty decent money with something besides basketball.
It's an absolutely awful decision as a coach. In your hypothetical, where Ihnen wants to play wing but not the post (which I have no idea if it is true). You would be doing him a disservice. You would be doing the team a disservice. And it would be all for a really bizarre thing like Ihnen quitting and pouting if he doesn't play SF.

That's such a bizarre hypothetical. If any coach caved to that demand, he would be an awful coach.

It's an absolutely awful decision as a coach. In your hypothetical, where Ihnen wants to play wing but not the post (which I have no idea if it is true). You would be doing him a disservice. You would be doing the team a disservice. And it would be all for a really bizarre thing like Ihnen quitting and pouting if he doesn't play SF.

That's such a bizarre hypothetical. If any coach caved to that demand, he would be an awful coach.
Number one: we disagree that Ihnen's best position is the post.
Number two: Myself and evidently Ben feel his best position is the perimeter. He was just 7 for 7 as a wing. He is our best perimeter defender.
Number three: Your disservice argument is your opinion. I'll stack my championships, my Coach of the Year Awards up against your opinion it is an awful idea.
Number four: When it comes to winning basketball games, normally I'd coach somebody one or two years...me pushing a square peg in a round hole would lose lots of games. Convincing somebody to do something they don't want to do takes a wasted season long amount of time. Nobody in high school, nobody in college is going play a role they don't want (if they are talented) In high school, you'll be in the AD's office with the parents, if you have an AD who supports you....you'll be in the Principal's office and if you coach at a private school that's tuition money going out the door to stand on your beliefs and you'll be gone.
If it's college they'll transfer. If they are unhappy and stay, I guarantee you'll lose. It'll be no fun for anybody on the team while you teach your lesson.

I don't think it is a demand from Ihnen. It is just obvious what he responds to ... observation in practice. What he likes doing...where he contributes the most to the team. When he plays with the most energy. When he's engaged. Same for all the other players. Secret is blending what they like and are good at into a team that works together. Season is too short to "make em" do stuff (roles they don't wanna play) tasks they don't want to do.

Best coaches are the best manipulators. Ihnen wants to play the wing...you let him...but we all want to win right? well, some nights I need you to defend the post for us to win...agree? here's why...can you help the team out and do that some nights? Okay well, we gotta practice it too...okay? Conversations like that happen...but to just demand he moves to the post will not work.

Defense, rebounding, shot selection etc are things you demand of everybody because it is consistent for everybody on the team ....it's the Gopher Way or whatever team ...it's how the team does does it. Pick your battles, demand they ALL do those kinds of things. That's where discipline matters.

But roles on the team...everybody's personality is different. There is not enough time to win and change somebody. Recruiting needs to target what you are looking for in college.

Ihnen looks healthy which to me was the biggest question mark. He’s still a career 3&3 guy in the conference. He dominated UTSA though—which is a positive sign.

Ben Johnson has had a 10-1 head start as a head coach before. That team finished last in the conference. I may reserve my overall optimism until they play a team in KenPom’s top 250 but Ihnen and Fox being healthy certainly adds needed depth.

Ihnen looks healthy which to me was the biggest question mark. He’s still a career 3&3 guy in the conference. He dominated UTSA though—which is a positive sign.

Ben Johnson has had a 10-1 head start as a head coach before. That team finished last in the conference. I may reserve my overall optimism until they play a team in KenPom’s top 250 but Ihnen and Fox being healthy certainly adds needed depth.
We have more depth, which will help, but I am still not convinced by our guard play. Elijah Hawkins reminds me too much of Isaiah Washington (Jelly) in that he can push the ball, but he also gets out of control and gives away possessions with overly aggressive offensive attempts. Big 10 teams are going to guard him tight and he's going to have to keep his turnovers down or it will be a net negative when he's on the court. For that reason, I am very curious to see how this team competes on Thursday against Missouri.

Then that's on him. If playing his best position, in the middle of action, the position he will eventually get paid money to play, doesn't inspire him. Then he's a head case and will need to learn this lesson anyway.
Nobody who rehabs two years on two busted knees for the chance to play college basketball again is a head case. He will happily play any role coaches ask him to handle and he will probably relish the idea of the guy the team needs defensively in tough situations.

A guy who is prone to pout, quit, and become a team cancer does not have the guts to do what Ihnen has done to return to basketball. Quit worrying about his attitude. He is team all the way.

We have more depth, which will help, but I am still not convinced by our guard play. Elijah Hawkins reminds me too much of Isaiah Washington (Jelly) in that he can push the ball, but he also gets out of control and gives away possessions with overly aggressive offensive attempts. Big 10 teams are going to guard him tight and he's going to have to keep his turnovers down or it will be a net negative when he's on the court. For that reason, I am very curious to see how this team competes on Thursday against Missouri.

Agreed. Lots of questions to be answered. I dont think they are as bad as last year. But crushing terrible teams isn’t a precursor to being good/competitive in the conference.

Missouri isn’t great. It will be interesting.

A guy who is prone to pout, quit, and become a team cancer does not have the guts to do what Ihnen has done to return to basketball. Quit worrying about his attitude. He is team all the way.
I'm talking about things I have learned coaching.... common sense. I obviously do not know Ihnen.
I have taken the time to read his interviews and listen to his videos and know he does not consider himself a post and wouldn't be happy as one.
I am in no way suggesting Ihnen is a bad apple....that is fiction or at best a major leap to the wrong conclusion of what I said. Which is not surprising coming from you.
If you could read I have been touting Ihnen since he got here.
Been bashed for saying he has potential and can shoot.
Pay attention better or don't attack!

The announcers repeatedly talked about how athletic we are and our length - which excites me and hopefully others on here.

Eventually, I see the starting lineup being-

Hawkins -1
Christie -2
Ilhen -3
Garcia -4
Payne -5

I like JIJ off the bench and he can get minutes at both 3&4, depending on the matchups

The announcers repeatedly talked about how athletic we are and our length - which excites me and hopefully others on here.

Eventually, I see the starting lineup being-

Hawkins -1
Christie -2
Ilhen -3
Garcia -4
Payne -5

I like JIJ off the bench and he can get minutes at both 3&4, depending on the matchups
I'd have Ihnen at the 2 and JOJ at 3 to start and bring Christie off the bench for instant offense.
Or Carrington at the 2 and Ihnen at 3 to start with JOJ and Christie coming off the bench.

I'd have Ihnen at the 2 and JOJ at 3 to start and bring Christie off the bench for instant offense.
Or Carrington at the 2 and Ihnen at 3 to start with JOJ and Christie coming off the bench.
What’s awesome is that we are finally able to have this conversation again.

If Payne and Garcia play 30, I don't mind Ihnen getting 5-10 minutes per game at the 3, but that's out of pure necessity but that would mean the bulk - majority of his minutes would be at the post.

I don't mind if he is guarding anyone at the end of a game. I still think you'd want him on the best post offensive player to take away the PNR. But if they have a guy who is going to go ISO and play hero ball, I don't mind Ihnen guarding anyone in that situation. It's an example of how his versatility is a major luxury in SPOTS, but we shouldn't take him out of what he does best.
Do you really think Payne will average 30 minutes. With foul issues and injuries, I bet it will be more like 23-25. More minutes for Ihnen & Fox

I'm talking about things I have learned coaching.... common sense. I obviously do not know Ihnen.
I have taken the time to read his interviews and listen to his videos and know he does not consider himself a post and wouldn't be happy as one.
I am in no way suggesting Ihnen is a bad apple....that is fiction or at best a major leap to the wrong conclusion of what I said. Which is not surprising coming from you.
If you could read I have been touting Ihnen since he got here.
Been bashed for saying he has potential and can shoot.
Pay attention better or don't attack!
Where's the attack, little girl?

Top Bottom