How funny that Arizona would self impose one year ban on tourney during the year of Covid.

Great post. It is really hard to thread that needle and even though each year has always been a different year or team it is more so now. Look at the GOPHERS . Lose Daniel, have mostly new guys and we are better. UW has 6 seniors of their top 7. Another team i follow that is struggling because their best players are young and that will not work there because it takes 600-700 minutes to perfect the defense. But it is the method they have used to try and always contend at the top of the conference and then every three years or so see if they can have it all come together. Even in that case, their big three that came in together, really developed, won it all and left early . What did they miss out on ? Well probably another ACC but not the national title as Covid stopped that. Even when it all falls in place, one injury can ruin that. It will be like that for us. Carr, Robbins and Gabe have to play every game.
Seems more precarious than ever for coaches to build and sustain success. Between early draft entrants, transfers, grad transfers and expectations of immediate playing time, it's such a fine balancing act and even without COVID in the picture, it seems we'll be seeing wild fluctuations in programs, especially when one or two unexpected departures occur.

I don't want to put that cart before the horse just yet, but Pitino really seems to be maneuvering through this brave, new world quite adeptly. Robbins, Gach, and Johnson this season; Carr, Willis and Demir in recent years.

Seems more precarious than ever for coaches to build and sustain success. Between early draft entrants, transfers, grad transfers and expectations of immediate playing time, it's such a fine balancing act and even without COVID in the picture, it seems we'll be seeing wild fluctuations in programs, especially when one or two unexpected departures occur.

I don't want to put that cart before the horse just yet, but Pitino really seems to be maneuvering through this brave, new world quite adeptly. Robbins, Gach, and Johnson this season; Carr, Willis and Demir in recent years.
It is but the best now are likely to adapt and in some ways were ahead of the curve in transfers and redshirts. Look at Nova and UVA. UVA rode Gill to two ACC titles, Key transferred from Alabama, won the ACC and had 9 rebounds in the National Championship victory . Think the Gophers did great at it this year and OK with Springs. Interesting to me that when Bennett did it, in every case it was someone he had already recruited but lost and they never forgot the relationships, especially the parents. I can see that being a huge factor going forward, including here.As we get better there will be players we miss on that may come back. I do think Wright and Bennett will get richer on transfers although transferring to UVA is not a easy move. Personally, as a fan i like watching guys together for a long time. I like watching them develop, i like seeing the team develop and of course i like watching teams win the prizes .

Careful when trying to list successes.

You just tried to prove your case with Willis and Demir. That's kind of like trying to say Pitino has improved recruiting by listing Gaston Diedhiou and Bakary Konate.

Careful when trying to list successes.

You just tried to prove your case with Willis and Demir. That's kind of like trying to say Pitino has improved recruiting by listing Gaston Diedhiou and Bakary Konate.
Nah, if I listed Brock Stoll you could make that call, but Demir and Willis were starters -albeit on not a very good squad, but they provided minutes nonetheless. Part of my argument , not very well articulated, was the step up in quality of transfers. Of course, family on staff (Robbins) and in state (Gach) could be more representative than Pitino becoming masterful at the art, but hopefully this season can showcase both the team and how Pitino brings transfers on board and raises their game/profile.

Top Bottom