How college hoops leaders can save face and fix talent woes with one rule change

MisterGopher

Reaction score
College hoops does have a talent problem. It needs more of it. Better is always better. The fewer good players, the harder the action is on the eyes, causing casual viewers to ignore the sport until the bracket comes out.

What the Green deal showed, once again, is that players have a far higher free-market value than the NCAA claims (tuition, room, board, etc.). Since not even the most rebellious of college coaches can compete with the NBA version of a “strong-ass offer,” the sport shouldn’t even try.

The Greens of the world are gone. Just wish them well.

College basketball should, however, limit self-inflicted wounds born of decades of backward thinking, poor leadership and disrespect (rooted in old-school racism) toward potential NBA players.

It needs to stop kicking out dozens of high-quality athletes just because (A) they dare to dream of being a pro, and (B) college hoops has refused to stand up for itself and instead allowed the draft process to be run to the NBA’s full benefit.

Start with this: The NBA isn’t your friend. It’s your competition. And while you’ll never win a bidding war against it, you can recoup some of the losses by making the league treat you as a partner in talent development rather than a weakling to be raided … after your one-of-a-kind tournament turns these kids into marketable stars, of course.

The easiest fix: Change NCAA basketball rules concerning the NBA draft to mirror the NCAA hockey rules concerning the NHL draft.

"
Basketball currently requires underclassmen to first declare they are entering the draft (because that’s what the NBA wants). They then have until 10 days after the draft combine to say they are remaining in the draft (because that’s what the NBA wants). If they stay in, then they are banned from college basketball (which provides the NBA with all the leverage).

In college hockey, or nearly any other NCAA sport, the rule is different. No hockey player has to declare for the draft. As such, no one has to pull themselves out of the draft. Even if a player is selected by an NHL team, they aren’t banished from college hockey.

Instead, the player has 72 hours after the draft to sit down with their family, an agent (yes, it’s allowed), their NHL team and their college coach and determine the best path forward — play for their school or go pro. Seems reasonable, right? After all, it’s a big decision.

If you choose the NHL, good for you. If you choose college, then you can’t join an NHL team until after your college team’s season ends. You’re committed.

The system works. There are almost no complaints. There are no college hockey coaches begging to switch to the college basketball system. There is roster uncertainty into the summer, but that’s the trade-off to work with great young players.

Basketball, however, requires players to make one of the biggest decisions of their life based on rumors, promises and projections. It treats the process, and the families making it, with disdain, a throwback to old totalitarian coaches who considered it disloyal for an underclassmen to even consider turning pro.

"

YES, YES, YES.

NCAA football and basketball - basketball especially - have to stand up to the pro leagues. The NBA needs the NCAA more than the NCAA needs the NBA. Likewise with D1 college FB and the NFL.

Let a Marcus Carr be drafted but give him the right to go back and play another year in College.

I completely agree with this. The one and done rule stinks, and mostly helps the blue bloods and the NBA. Either pick the NCAA hockey or baseball rule, I’m fine with either.

The only thing I would want clarity on is, what do they mean by "they don't have to declare for the draft"?

Just means, they don't need to make any big annoucement/decision, they can just enter their name in the draft with no pre-qualification, if they want, and see what happens?

YES, YES, YES.

NCAA football and basketball - basketball especially - have to stand up to the pro leagues. The NBA needs the NCAA more than the NCAA needs the NBA. Likewise with D1 college FB and the NFL.

Let a Marcus Carr be drafted but give him the right to go back and play another year in College.
I don't see nearly as much problem with football, probably because you have to essentially give the college team three years before you can go pro.

I completely agree with this. The one and done rule stinks, and mostly helps the blue bloods and the NBA. Either pick the NCAA hockey or baseball rule, I’m fine with either.
I don't think this model would end the one and done, right?

The point is to keep giving college bball access to the best players possible. That means, if anything, possibly more one and dones.

It's just about fair and reasonable rules for dealing with college players who might like to try out that year's draft. I think

So it seems like ultimately it boils down to:

- any college player can enter their name in that year's draft, if they want. And then stuff only happens if they do get selected. If not, no big deal, stay in college and keep being on your college team.

I guess I can't see why it shouldn't be this way?

I don't think this model would end the one and done, right?

The point is to keep giving college bball access to the best players possible. That means, if anything, possibly more one and dones.

It's just about fair and reasonable rules for dealing with college players who might like to try out that year's draft. I think
No, not technically. However, if you’re good enough to be a one-and-done, you could go straight from HS to the NBA. So the one-and-done would probably skip college, which they’re starting to anyway by playing overseas.

The nice thing about the hockey rule is the team can draft you, negotiate a contract, and let you keep playing college hockey. So if the NHL team likes your development, they essentially get a free minor league system, and you’re not starting your rookie contract until you’re 21/22 instead of 18/19. You’re more than likely going to be better at 21/22, so as long as you’re patient, it’s a better return on your investment.

Look at all the guys drafted in the second round of the NBA draft last year that weren’t seniors. There were some very good college players there that may have not signed and come back to college to try and make it into the first round.

- any college player can enter their name in that year's draft, if they want. And then stuff only happens if they do get selected. If not, no big deal, stay in college and keep being on your college team.

You can be selected and still come back in the hockey system.

It makes sense, why would the NCAA have these rules, either the NBA wants a player or it doesn't and if it doesn't the player should be eligible to play college ball period, takes away the need to hire an agent, get a review of their capabilities, etc.. How did it ever get to this

I think it's a subtle difference that they're proposing - every player is eligible to be drafted, so nobody actually "enters" the draft. Or, in essence, every player is automatically entered in the draft. Wouldn't have to have guys like Marcus Carr "declaring" that they're entering the draft.

Regardless, I agree with you that it seems like there's no reason for it to not be this way.

I think it would be really interesting to see college basketball go the route of college baseball with respect to the draft.

Guys can get drafted out of high school, allowing the guys like Green and Todd to go straight to the NBA. If you decide to go to college, you are re-eligible to be drafted once you turn 21, which keeps top players in college for a couple years at least. Once you turn 21, you're automatically eligible to be drafted in every draft - if you're drafted, you don't need to go pro, but you can't play for any other pro team. You can go back to college and be drafted again the next year by another team.

The presence of European and other leagues complicates things a bit, but I think it would be a good balance between allowing players who want to be in the NBA to go straight there while also keeping talent in college basketball.

Not sure why I never really thought about this possibility before - probably because I don't follow the hockey draft at all - but yes, switching to this system (or even baseball's) is essential.

The NBA Draft and NHL or MLB Drafts are very similar in that they are picking so many very young players on potential/future projections. At least with NFL, they've got 2-4 years of game film and stats from a fairly-known and level pool of competition.

With the other sports, kids are coming from high school and junior leagues and there are more variables for both sides. They've got to make it more conducive so that selecting a prospect means another option instead of having to eliminate one path to consider another.

The problem here is wasted draft picks for NBA teams right? So when you get drafted and go back to school, you are re-drafted? Or does the team own your rights after drafting you, no matter when you decided to head to the NBA?

*Just learned they do own your rights. Seems legit.

What are the main issues with this? There's gotta be some just to get a perspective on the other side.

I think it would be really interesting to see college basketball go the route of college baseball with respect to the draft.

Guys can get drafted out of high school, allowing the guys like Green and Todd to go straight to the NBA. If you decide to go to college, you are re-eligible to be drafted once you turn 21, which keeps top players in college for a couple years at least. Once you turn 21, you're automatically eligible to be drafted in every draft - if you're drafted, you don't need to go pro, but you can't play for any other pro team. You can go back to college and be drafted again the next year by another team.

The presence of European and other leagues complicates things a bit, but I think it would be a good balance between allowing players who want to be in the NBA to go straight there while also keeping talent in college basketball.
I think this would be better for players while still keeping it legit amateur wise. The G league option will continue to go, but the one and done era does not make college basketball better imo.

No, not technically. However, if you’re good enough to be a one-and-done, you could go straight from HS to the NBA. So the one-and-done would probably skip college, which they’re starting to anyway by playing overseas.
I think this would be better for players while still keeping it legit amateur wise. The G league option will continue to go, but the one and done era does not make college basketball better imo.
The NCAA can't force the NBA to change its own rules.

I think it was actually the NBAPA that wanted to prevent 18 year olds coming straight into the league, right?

So this change in rules by the NCAA wouldn't end the one and dones, unless the NBA also changed its rules in that regard?

The NCAA can't force the NBA to change its own rules.

I think it was actually the NBAPA that wanted to prevent 18 year olds coming straight into the league, right?

So this change in rules by the NCAA wouldn't end the one and dones, unless the NBA also changed its rules in that regard?

I thought it was the owners too and they didn’t want to invest tons of money on 18 yr olds when they can get another year on their investment.
Either way I do know it’s the NBAs fault and that the NCAA can’t do a ton about it with one and done players. Sadly it’s only the NCAA that seems to take flack for it.

What's the argument that ending one and does makes college basketball a better product overall? Not doubting that is true, just wondering what is the argument.

Because this rule update proposal for the NCAA rules really just seems to be emphasizing giving the NCAA the best fighting chance to retain access to the best talent it can.

Who knows, maybe a kid who thinks he would be a one and done in college, gets there and finds out he really needs two years. And that being the case, would rather spend those two years in college than some other pro/development league.

Top Bottom