How Barry Alvarez sold his vision in Madison.....

Agree in the sense that this year is big in terms of building stability/foundation for the next two years in what has been a turbulent staff situation on Brew's watch, rather than obsessing endlessly about the absolute level of W/Ls this year. Also big this year is continuing to recruit at a high level vs BT opponents.

Challenge for the title next year? Quite a stretch IMHO. However, I can certainly see the GGs becoming a legitimate mid-tier BT power within a few years possessing the talent to defeat the biggies periodically, especially at home.

Agreed. Next year, I'll look for them to progress in spite of losing some important players (like Decker) through better depth across the board and more coaching/system stability. My worst 'acceptable' 2010 season would look something like last year, but with a win against Wisconsin and/or Iowa, a chance to win against OSU or PSU, and a better showing in the bowl. (Since sweeping the NonCon next year w/ USC in the schedule is a reach, I'd hope for at least one more conference win.) Big 10 Championship is a reach for next season.

In 2011, though, I'll be disappointed if we don't have a legit shot at the Rose Bowl late in the season, and I'll be looking for that team to finish in the top 25.

Of course, it's absurdly early to be speculating like this, but with the way the talent level is shaking out, if everything progresses like it is now, that's what I'll expect.

***Edited to make myself sound smarter

Rose Bowl

Fourth year. Only two losing seasons after that (1995, 2001) and even then we beat Penn State in 1995 on the road as well as OSU on the road in 2001.

Once the ship was righted, there wasn't too much slippage. We've since stayed competitive. How much so will again be tested today.

Top Bottom