How about grad transfer Michael Dwumfour - DT from Michigan?

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Grad transfer so he could play next year, announced he is entering the transfer portal. Very talented DT -- he could help us a lot next year. I am not sure there is any mutual interest with the Gophers, but he might be a guy to take a look at for next year. He originally committed with Penn St. then decommitted to sign with Michigan. He will have one year left to play.

Fleck seems to target transfers with multiple years of eligibility. We do seem to have some depth at DT but if they felt the kid would be a good fit and could help it wouldn't shock me to see them try to bring him in.

>We do seem to have some depth at DT

That doesn't seem to matter to PJ as far as our "take all the WRs" approach ;)

Agree that Fleck seems to, so far, target grad transfers that can contribute for multiple years. As opposed to a one and done.

I think we are done as far as adding scholarship players. Still a ways off from fitting everyone that is currently signed up.

I think we are done as far as adding scholarship players. Still a ways off from fitting everyone that is currently signed up.
For the period between the end of the season (post-bowl game) to before spring ball, I agree with you. I think the focus at this time and for the next couple months will be winter strength & conditioning and preparing for spring ball, as well as recruiting for the 2021 class.

But once spring ball is finished, I expect there to be more activity. The staff can't predict how many players will want to transfer out. It could be more than they expect, and would give them some more wiggle room to sign more (grad) transfers.

Schiano seems to be re-harvesting some NY/NJ talent as of late. His presence at Rutgers may longer term halt or slow the pipeline of talent to the other B1G teams in the east division. Well, and I guess the west division with Wisconsin losing a player now too.

Rutgers makes the MBB tournament this year.

Then in three years the Big Ten championship game is Minnesota vs Rutgers.

How much crow would so, so many on this board be eating???? Hahahaha

The basketball turnaround is not that shocking, but if Rutgers is playing for the Big Ten title in 3 years that would be amazing. You can make a big turnaround in basketball if you land the right players and you only need a couple of them to get it done.

Schiano is highly regarded and seems to have a good track record but winning in the Big Ten East when you have the likes of Ohio State, Michign and Penn State waiting for you every year is a pretty daunting task.

If he turns Rutgers into a contender in that division they will name the stadium after him. :)

Rutgers immediate goal should be getting bowl eligible ~66% of the time (2 out of every 3 years). There should be enough talent in the New Jersey area to make that happen as long as they can win the majority of their non-conference schedule every year.

Winning the division is about 4-5 steps further up the ladder from where they are at now.

For the period between the end of the season (post-bowl game) to before spring ball, I agree with you. I think the focus at this time and for the next couple months will be winter strength & conditioning and preparing for spring ball, as well as recruiting for the 2021 class.

But once spring ball is finished, I expect there to be more activity. The staff can't predict how many players will want to transfer out. It could be more than they expect, and would give them some more wiggle room to sign more (grad) transfers.

When is the deadline for grad transfers?

Wow this kid is the 6th transfer taken by Rutgers, interesting strategy.

When is the deadline for grad transfers?
Good question.

There has to be a rule somewhere. The first game usually occurs before the start of fall semester. Do you just have to be enrolled at the school for fall semester the day before the game, the play in the game? An hour before the game?

Probably one of things where no one ever pushes it anywhere near the limit, so no one really knows.

Should be on the Hot Take thread...

Top Bottom