How 4-8 Northwestern wins the B1G West...

This won't happen, but it does enlighten the fact that the West is still pretty wide open.

Nebraska and Illinois still have Michigan on Schedule

Northwestern would literally be Rose Bowl or bust (no bowl game).
At this point, and especially in this scenario, I can’t see any way that Penn St wouldn’t get selected even over the West champ Gophers.

We’d have to then beat Ohio St or Mich in Indy. We’d make the NY6 (Rose), but not the CFP.

Northwestern would literally be Rose Bowl or bust (no bowl game).

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to play in the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference.

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to play in the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference.
Tracking. I’m saying they would either go to the Rose Bowl (if they won the game) or they would bust with no bowl game (if they lost the game).

Nobody is going to the CFP with a loss to Northwestern on the last game though.

I don’t like how the Rose Bowl has an out to pass on the B1G champion in the event the B1G runner up goes to the playoff. Extremely unlikely to occur though.

Tracking. I’m saying they would either go to the Rose Bowl (if they won the game) or they would bust with no bowl game (if they lost the game).
No, they wouldn't

Penn State at 10-2, with losses only to Ohio State and Michigan, would get selected over the West champion Gophers. That assumes both of those are in the CFP. If the loser of The Game doesn't make it, then that team would go to the Rose Bowl.

No, they wouldn't

Penn State at 10-2, with losses only to Ohio State and Michigan, would get selected over the West champion Gophers. That assumes both of those are in the CFP. If the loser of The Game doesn't make it, then that team would go to the Rose Bowl.
The rose bowl is obligated to take the big ten champion if they aren’t in the playoff.
If 4-8 northwestern won the big ten title game, they’d be in the rose bowl.
If 8-4 Minnesota won the big ten championship, they’d be in the rose bowl.
If 10-2 Illinois win the big ten championship, they’d be in the rose bowl.

You are talking about a different scenario than him.

This won't happen, but it does enlighten the fact that the West is still pretty wide open.

Nebraska and Illinois still have Michigan on Schedule
It’s really not in reality. Illinois is in total control. And they have tiebreaker wins over 2 of the 3 teams with any chance to beat them and I think they will beat Purdue also. I could care less about Illinois but it’s there’s to lose at this point. I can only assume that the loss to Indiana was some sort of fluke.

The image won't upload so here's a link. Gophers end with the Axe and Pig.

I realize this post is just for fun but maybe I should ask you guys where I should take my supermodel girlfriend out for dinner. There is a better chance of that happening this this scenario.

It’s really not in reality. Illinois is in total control. And they have tiebreaker wins over 2 of the 3 teams with any chance to beat them and I think they will beat Purdue also. I could care less about Illinois but it’s there’s to lose at this point. I can only assume that the loss to Indiana was some sort of fluke.
I think 6-3 will win division and winner of Purdue/Illinois will be Champ.

Or Illinois is just a decent good team so they are very beatable on the road and a team that will likely finish 1st in a very poor division.

Would suck to lose to both Rutgers and Northwestern in that scenario but might almost be worth it if it guaranteed wins over Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin.

The rose bowl is obligated to take the big ten champion if they aren’t in the playoff.
If 4-8 northwestern won the big ten title game, they’d be in the rose bowl.
If 8-4 Minnesota won the big ten championship, they’d be in the rose bowl.
If 10-2 Illinois win the big ten championship, they’d be in the rose bowl.

You are talking about a different scenario than him.
He was talking about the game of Gophers vs NW in the regular season, in the weird but fun scenario presented in the OP. Saying the winner of that goes to the Rose Bowl because he thought the loser of the Big Ten conf champ game would get to go to the Rose Bowl with the winner in the CFP.

That's how I took it.

Your thing, an extremely far fetched thing of a West team actually winning the Big Ten conf championship game, is right, for what they are.

Would suck to lose to both Rutgers and Northwestern in that scenario but might almost be worth it if it guaranteed wins over Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Right but just shows how crazy the scenario is.

We're going to lose at home to Rutgers and NW ..... but beat Nebraska and Wisconsin on the road.

Not a thing

He was talking about the game of Gophers vs NW in the regular season, in the weird but fun scenario presented in the OP. Saying the winner of that goes to the Rose Bowl because he thought the loser of the Big Ten conf champ game would get to go to the Rose Bowl with the winner in the CFP.

That's how I took it.

Your thing, an extremely far fetched thing of a West team actually winning the Big Ten conf championship game, is right, for what they are.
It’s not my thing, it’s what they were talking about in the thread.

Huh? This was the post:

It's as I described. We would not be playing NW in the Big Ten conf championship game.
You still aren’t understanding.
The post he quoted had northwestern winning the division.

If northwestern wins the division the conference championship game the game would be rose bowl or bust for them.

If 4-8 northwestern won the conference championship game they’d be in the rose bowl.
If they lost they’d be in no bowl.

That’s what he was saying. Not sure what you are even talking about

If northwestern wins the division the conference championship game the game would be rose bowl or bust for them.
OK. If that was what was intended, then could've been worded more clearly.

I interpreted it as him saying OUR game vs NW would be Rose Bowl or bust for US.

We
Or Illinois is just a decent good team so they are very beatable on the road and a team that will likely finish 1st in a very poor division.
Has to be considered. Guess we will see how it plays out.

OK. If that was what was intended, then could've been worded more clearly.

I interpreted it as him saying OUR game vs NW would be Rose Bowl or bust for US.
I responded to the original post which is clearly about Northwestern winning the Big Ten.

Northwestern would literally be Rose Bowl or bust (no bowl game), based on their outcome in the Big Ten conf championships game.

Top Bottom