Hopkins vs. Cooper tonight - Thoughts on Calvin Godfrey

GopherLady

Reaction score
Hopkins won 83-75 in a really heated game tonight at Hopkins. I was only able to go for the 2nd half, but TC Hoops Czar was there, and I'd expect he has a great write-up. I finally got to meet him tonight, and he's a great guy, and I don't think there's anyone more passionate about HS Hoops than him. If you haven't checked out his blog, here's the link:

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/

Back to what you probably all want to know - how good is Calvin Godfrey? Good. He's a beast. He's a man amongst boys out there, but he's not at the same level as a Royce, but he he's very skilled. He's a very physical player - and this was a physical game. During the time I was there, there were 2 technicals called, and 2 more probably should have been called. Godfrey actually threw an elbow at DJ Peterson when the refs weren't looking, and one of the Cooper guys pretty much threw down a Hopkins guy while boxing out.

As far as what's going on with him - didn't get too much (he is a man of few words), but will have an interview up with him in the next few days.

Long time follower, first time poster. Broke down and finally got a username.

I believe from the way the 3 men behind me were talking tonight, that they must be from the gopherhole, too shy to ask, but they knew their basketball. (I sat behind the Hopkins bench, at the very top of the bleachers.)

Anyway, I've followed Cooper closely this year, former point guard from their state title finals loss in 2006. I'm an avivid sports fan that follows anything basketball related, whether its high school, college or pro ball, you can find me in a gym any day of the week. I believe Godfrey is a mid-major player at best. Good player, just needs to learn to control his attitude. The elbows he threw tonight and the tech's hes racked up the last few games, definitely shows me he's got an attitude problem. He's long and plays good defense, just needs to learn how to be a softer player when it comes to finishing close shots. Seems to be athletic from the games I've seen him play in this year.

Sat with the former North Minneapolis coach tonight, talking ball....great man, fantastic family. Hope to see him at future events, along with any other gopherholers willing to catch a game or two with me.

Hoopmasters Says > One Of Top Available PF In Nation

...Calvin Godfrey 6-8 240 Robbinsdale, MN Cooper - Former Milwaukee prep has wide body and knows how to use it around the hoop. He has lost some of the bounce we observed as a sophomore, but makes up for it with his good hands and feet. He's getting interest from Minnesota, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin Milwaukee, Colorado State, Miami (FL), St. Louis, and Texas Southern...

Could turn out to be a nice little player for a smaller school. Good luck.

Watchful eye, that was most likely me. The 2 guys were former girls coaches at St. Louis Park (if I recall the discussion correctly). Gopher Lady was on the other side of me once she arrived in the 2nd half just in case you were wondering.

Long time follower, first time poster. Broke down and finally got a username.

I believe from the way the 3 men behind me were talking tonight, that they must be from the gopherhole, too shy to ask, but they knew their basketball. (I sat behind the Hopkins bench, at the very top of the bleachers.)

Anyway, I've followed Cooper closely this year, former point guard from their state title finals loss in 2006. I'm an avivid sports fan that follows anything basketball related, whether its high school, college or pro ball, you can find me in a gym any day of the week. I believe Godfrey is a mid-major player at best. Good player, just needs to learn to control his attitude. The elbows he threw tonight and the tech's hes racked up the last few games, definitely shows me he's got an attitude problem. He's long and plays good defense, just needs to learn how to be a softer player when it comes to finishing close shots. Seems to be athletic from the games I've seen him play in this year.

Sat with the former North Minneapolis coach tonight, talking ball....great man, fantastic family. Hope to see him at future events, along with any other gopherholers willing to catch a game or two with me.

Welcome to the board, and great 1st post! From just this one game, I agree with your assessment of Godfrey with some issues (like I said, that's only from seeing him once, so take that for what it's worth) - but I certainly think he's talented. Certainly not someone I think the Gophs should take a chance on, but if he stays out of trouble, he's got a lot of natural talent, more than a mid-major IMHO...but you have seen him a lot more than I have.

Glad you decided to finally post - we always welcome passionate fans that know their stuff here.

Speaking of - here is the direct link to Czar's write-up. I don't know how he does this - you must have a photographic memory. He was only taking stats, no notes, and he remembers all these details!

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2010/01...+(Twin+Cities+Boys+Hoops)&utm_content=Twitter

I wish we didn't have 10 "missed-layups" for every "watchful eye." None the less, welcome to the board!

Watchful eye, that was most likely me. The 2 guys were former girls coaches at St. Louis Park (if I recall the discussion correctly). Gopher Lady was on the other side of me once she arrived in the 2nd half just in case you were wondering.

Hey tchoopsczar I just clicked the link in your signature and it brought me to some crazy religion website. I think you mistyped the link because the link from GL's post worked. Just an FYI.

Thanks much ChemEGopher, I had a couple of letters transposed in it.

Gopher Lady, I only wish I had that kind of memory. I learned not to trust my memory long long ago. You only saw the top half of the my sheet which is the stats, the bottom half is all the notes that ultimately become the post.

Please, MORE POSTS

Please,

tchoopsczar and A Watchful Eye, post more often. You are an incredible upgrade from some of the trollish, inane drivel we have had splashed all over the GH lately.

I for one am very interested in your opinions.

Welcome and Thank You.

:clap::clap::clap:

Please,

tchoopsczar and A Watchful Eye, post more often. You are an incredible upgrade from some of the trollish, inane drivel we have had splashed all over the GH lately.

I for one am very interested in your opinions.

Welcome and Thank You.

:clap::clap::clap:

+1000....well stated, my friend!

I'm going to have to assume that was you guys. Don't remember looking back in the second half to see GopherLady, but I do recall hearing stories about St. Louis Park.

Haha, it was definitely nice to see numerous people out and about last night at the game. Tonight I'll be down in Mankato watching my 2 former teammates, Jefferson Mason and Jermain Davis (Former Hawkeye, yuck :p) take on Minnesota Duluth. Hope to see more friendly faces around at high school and Gopher games throughout the season.

Take care!

Top Bottom