Hopkins 94, Patrick Henry 62

Mayne Street

Reaction score
I was at the Hopkins - Patrick Henry game last night (as was Tubby). Below are some of my observations:

Everyone wants to know about Royce White, so I'll start there.

Royce - had some great assists to start the game. A lot of no-look passes that set up easy lay-ups. He also has a knack for finding the open guy in the corner (should work out well for Blake Hoffarber next year). He was able to get into the lane at will and is very strong with the ball. His perimeter defense was very good, but he could work on relying on his feet more than his hands. I was impressed by his post moves as well. The Patrick Henry team was undersized, which could have made Royce's low post game look better than it really is. With that being said, I was disappointed by Royce's efforts on the glass. He was one of the taller guys on the court at all times, but was the safety valve on offense (not sure if this is coaching or Royce's lack of interest in rebounding). His free throw shooting was poor. The shot's too flat and his first two attempts from the line almost didn't get to the front rim. I was also disappointed in his mid-range jumper and three-point shot. The mechanics of his shot look off. His right elbow is too far out to the right in the beginning of the shot, which causes the ball to spin right to left. As always, he needs to keep his attitude in check. There were two instances that stood out to me. The first was at the end of the first half when he trying to complete a spin move, but was grabbed on the arm by a Henry player and the ball went out of bounds. The ref gave Hopkins the ball, but Royce said to the ref, "You better call that next time, you better call that next time." In the second half, he missed an easy tip-in and on the way back up the court he dropped a loud f-bomb. I thought he was lucky to not get a technical foul there.

Broghammer - he has great chemistry with Royce. He did very well on the boards to keep the ball alive. Tough to tell how good he really is until he has to match up with another big guy his size. He has good body control and isn't afraid to bang underneath.

Lockett - he can jump! I thought he was Hopkins' second best player on the court last night. Does a little bit of everything.

Cowles - great spot-up shooter. He's also not afraid to clean up on the glass. He could improve on his ball handling, which in turn could help him get to the rack more. Reminds me of Rashad McCants (UNC version, not T-Wolves version)

Williams - did a great job running the point. He had to guard smaller, quicker guards and did a respectable job. I think he should be a candidate to walk-on to the Gophers.

DJ Peterson - he was the leading scorer for Hopkins and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Had most of his points in the 2nd half.

Marvin Singleton - only a sophomore, but he was the best player on the court for Hopkins IMO. His body is ready for the college game. Reminds me of DeMarcus Nelson. Could use a little work on the perimeter and his ball handling. Outmuscled players on the glass. Had a highlight reel dunk on a 3-on-2 break where he split the defenders in the air and threw it down. I can't wait to watch this guy throughout the season and in the future. I'm sure Tubby will keep his eye on him as well.

Overall thoughts on the game: Hopkins likes to run and plays in-your-face defense. I'm not sure if Tubby had any influence on Hopkins' coaching strategy. Tubby talked to Novak (Hopkins coach) prior to the game and the two seem to have a close relationship. The officiating was consistent. They called a lot of hand checks and blocks. They missed a few charges. Patrick Henry hung tough despite being undersized. Henry relied heavily on the three because they had no low post threats.

Congrats if you read this whole thing. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Terrific recap. Thank you.

Welcome to the boards!

Overall thoughts on the game: Hopkins likes to run and plays in-your-face defense. I'm not sure if Tubby had any influence on Hopkins' coaching strategy.
Hopkins has always run up and down the court and has played in-your-face defense since Novak got there in the late 1980's, way before Tubby even got to Kentucky.

Thank you for the recap Mayne Street, that was outstanding! Please don't let this first post be your last!

Welcome to the board Mayne Street, and great first post!

I was at the Hopkins - Patrick Henry game last night (as was Tubby). Below are some of my observations:

Everyone wants to know about Royce White, so I'll start there.

Royce - had some great assists to start the game. A lot of no-look passes that set up easy lay-ups. He also has a knack for finding the open guy in the corner (should work out well for Blake Hoffarber next year). He was able to get into the lane at will and is very strong with the ball. His perimeter defense was very good, but he could work on relying on his feet more than his hands. I was impressed by his post moves as well. The Patrick Henry team was undersized, which could have made Royce's low post game look better than it really is. With that being said, I was disappointed by Royce's efforts on the glass. He was one of the taller guys on the court at all times, but was the safety valve on offense (not sure if this is coaching or Royce's lack of interest in rebounding). His free throw shooting was poor. The shot's too flat and his first two attempts from the line almost didn't get to the front rim. I was also disappointed in his mid-range jumper and three-point shot. The mechanics of his shot look off. His right elbow is too far out to the right in the beginning of the shot, which causes the ball to spin right to left. As always, he needs to keep his attitude in check. There were two instances that stood out to me. The first was at the end of the first half when he trying to complete a spin move, but was grabbed on the arm by a Henry player and the ball went out of bounds. The ref gave Hopkins the ball, but Royce said to the ref, "You better call that next time, you better call that next time." In the second half, he missed an easy tip-in and on the way back up the court he dropped a loud f-bomb. I thought he was lucky to not get a technical foul there.

Broghammer - he has great chemistry with Royce. He did very well on the boards to keep the ball alive. Tough to tell how good he really is until he has to match up with another big guy his size. He has good body control and isn't afraid to bang underneath.

Lockett - he can jump! I thought he was Hopkins' second best player on the court last night. Does a little bit of everything.

Cowles - great spot-up shooter. He's also not afraid to clean up on the glass. He could improve on his ball handling, which in turn could help him get to the rack more. Reminds me of Rashad McCants (UNC version, not T-Wolves version)

Williams - did a great job running the point. He had to guard smaller, quicker guards and did a respectable job. I think he should be a candidate to walk-on to the Gophers.

DJ Peterson - he was the leading scorer for Hopkins and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Had most of his points in the 2nd half.

Marvin Singleton - only a sophomore, but he was the best player on the court for Hopkins IMO. His body is ready for the college game. Reminds me of DeMarcus Nelson. Could use a little work on the perimeter and his ball handling. Outmuscled players on the glass. Had a highlight reel dunk on a 3-on-2 break where he split the defenders in the air and threw it down. I can't wait to watch this guy throughout the season and in the future. I'm sure Tubby will keep his eye on him as well.

Overall thoughts on the game: Hopkins likes to run and plays in-your-face defense. I'm not sure if Tubby had any influence on Hopkins' coaching strategy. Tubby talked to Novak (Hopkins coach) prior to the game and the two seem to have a close relationship. The officiating was consistent. They called a lot of hand checks and blocks. They missed a few charges. Patrick Henry hung tough despite being undersized. Henry relied heavily on the three because they had no low post threats.

Congrats if you read this whole thing. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

I too - hope there are many more posts to come! Thanks for the detailed recap, it's always appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

ShowinGoldyLove - thanks for the insight on Novak's style. That was my first Hopkins game.

Bruster - I didn't keep stats during the game, but you can go to Star Tribune's web site and get point totals for the game in the prep roundup.

Keep in mind that High School stats are kept by high school kids and are not the most reliable, especially regarding rebounds, assists, blocks. Was at the Sibley/Osseo game last night and my unofficial stats had Bruesewitz with 8 rebounds and I was paying pretty close attention only to learn after the game that the scorer awarded him 16:eek: That was good for a laugh. Dower ended up filling up the stat sheet but he didn't play all that well and Bruesewitz absolutely dominted the game in the first 7-8 minutes of the second half doing a little bit of everything. Not the best game for Northwestern to come check out Krueser as he had 2 pts. and was a pretty big nonfactor.

Hopkins at Washburn on Friday, get there early.

Edit: I feel better knowing I wasn't alone, from the TCHoops Czar Blog http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2008/12/osseo-at-sibley-thoughts.html

For Sibley, Bruesewitz 21 and 7 (Czar's note 12/10/08, wow was I off, 16 rebs is being reported, I'm usually within 1 or 2, this one surprised me) with 4 blks (not counting the goaltending call, all blks in the 2nd half).

I feel better now knowing somebody else was in the same ball park as me. Thanks JohnnyGopher. I used to do stats in school so I know first hand some of the goofy stuff (e.g home kid gets the stats, opposing kids don't). I can see if the count was 9 or 10, but 16? I need to see game tape. Bru was dominant as you stated, but not that dominant.

Agreed on the Hopkins/Washburn game on Friday, arrive early. I'm really interested to Royce in person after what was said in another thread earlier today.

Hopkins v The Burn sounds like a great game. I wish some of these HS games were televised

Agreed, Oleboy

Hopkins v The Burn sounds like a great game. I wish some of these HS games were televised

Honestly, after going to my 1st Wolves game since 2001 (or whatever year it was they played the Lakers in the playoffs) - HS hoops is the 2nd best ticket in town, next to the Gophers. Every HS game I've been to in MN has had a better atmosphere than that train-wreck of a T-Wolves game.

Note - Please refrain from making fun of me for attending the game, I've already taken enough crap for taking the free tickets, lol!

Also in HS, one guy keeps all the stats. In college and the pros, the official scorer has assistants that keep track of rebounds, assists, steals, turnovers and blocks.

Honestly, after going to my 1st Wolves game since 2001 (or whatever year it was they played the Lakers in the playoffs) - HS hoops is the 2nd best ticket in town, next to the Gophers. Every HS game I've been to in MN has had a better atmosphere than that train-wreck of a T-Wolves game.

Note - Please refrain from making fun of me for attending the game, I've already taken enough crap for taking the free tickets, lol!

It's not just the T-Wolves that are hard to watch, it's the whole NBA. The NBA is a whole different game and is not even close to as entertaining and exciting as college(especially gophers) or a good HS game.

NBA games are boring. Good high school games are crowded and loud. I haven't been to a hs game in years but back in school at De I was at most home games and it was always fun as a student. If I was in MN I'd check the Hopkins v Burn game out

I'd take college basketball over the NBA any day. I was surprised how empty the gym was on Tuesday night for the Hopkins-Patrick Henry game. Hopefully this Friday will have a better turnout.

I'll be at the Cooper - Armstrong game on Friday night and will try to post something on Saturday about that game. I'll be interested to hear other posters opinions on Hopkins/Royce.

Mayne Street, I'm not surprised at the lack of people at the Hopkins game. Osseo/Sibley was disappointing too, but unless its a huge huge huge game or a major rivalry, people don't show up here. You won't have that problem for the Cooper/Armstrong game, that will be a packed house with both crowds ready to go. Enjoy

I'll be at the Cooper - Armstrong game on Friday night and will try to post something on Saturday about that game. I'll be interested to hear other posters opinions on Hopkins/Royce.

I'd be interested to hear some comments on Armstrong sophomore wing Marquel Curtis. There was some talk on the Badger board that he visited Madison this fall with some AAU teammates.

This might be a bit early..But anyone know the outcome of Robbinsdale Cooper Vs. Robbinsdale Armstrong with detailed analysis if possible?

Top Bottom