Home field advantage: Gophs best in West

swingman

Reaction score
Action Network calculates home field advantage based on how a team does against the Vegas spread...

MI: 3.2 points
PSU: 3
MN: 2.8
OSU: 2.6
NW: 2.4
IA: 2.3
IN: 2.3
MD: 2.3
IL: 2.2
WI: 2.0
NE: 1.8
PU: 1.8
RU: 1.8
MSU: 1.3

Not sure I buy however they calculated it considering the Illinois and bowling green games last year
From the article (not based on just last year):
Action Network builds home-field advantage based upon weighted time periods of beating oddsmakers’ expectations.

Using a Taylor series based on spread results over a three- and 10-year sample size creates a single data point to generate a derivative of the standard 2.5 points.

Interesting that 3 of the top 4 (other than the U) are the 100K+ Big Ten stadiums. But Tennessee is also 126th in the nation, disappointing over 100K paying customers each Saturday. Worst in the P5.

The measurement is also "against the spread" and not some other computer metric - meaning that a certain HFA for a team might have already been baked into the line and this is just deviation from human-influenced expectations.

Minnesota and Northwestern have also been good teams to bet on because both have outperformed some dismal expectations over the past decade, no matter where they are playing.

Someone tell PJ about this. Might change some embarrassing home defeats.

I think this depends on whether you are looking at a statistical basis, or going with the "eye test."

the numbers are what they are.

but, in all honesty, I don't see Hunt Bank as a huge home field advantage.

it's a smaller stadium with a still somewhat older fan base. I mean - every season we see people complaining about fans not standing up and cheering. (and then other fans complaining because the people in front of them were standing.......)

add in the somewhat limited tailgating scene around the stadium before games. (and no band marching down University Avenue....)

I am NOT saying the Gophers have "bad" fans. Just saying that it's hard to compare the atmosphere at a home Gopher game with the atmosphere at a place where they have 80,000 fans or 100,000 fans all dressed alike and cheering, along with a vibrant tailgating scene.

I think this depends on whether you are looking at a statistical basis, or going with the "eye test."

it's a smaller stadium with a still somewhat older fan base. I mean - every season we see people complaining about fans not standing up and cheering. (and then other fans complaining because the people in front of them were standing.......)

add in the somewhat limited tailgating scene around the stadium before games. (and no band marching down University Avenue....)

I am NOT saying the Gophers have "bad" fans. Just saying that it's hard to compare the atmosphere at a home Gopher game with the atmosphere at a place where they have 80,000 fans or 100,000 fans all dressed alike and cheering, along with a vibrant tailgating scene.
Agree. Hard to call it an advantage with empty seats.

Tailgating scene around the stadium is not "limited".

It's certainly not great.
Been to every home game since the Bank opened. Plenty of space very close to the stadium to partake. The experience is what you put into it. I have two tailgates I routinely attend. I also have been easily invited to or joined others walking through. Honest question, not sure what you are looking for, please explain.

Been to every home game since the Bank opened. Plenty of space very close to the stadium to partake. The experience is what you put into it. I have two tailgates I routinely attend. I also have been easily invited to or joined others walking through. Honest question, not sure what you are looking for, please explain.
The lots near stadium are very expensive so not reasonable for many.

There are only few bars around, so options are limited, I happily spend my time in stubs parking lot..

Compared to our revivals we're behind, but the reality of urban campus

I've used the lot closer to dinky town which is fun.

Don't get me wrong, I have good time, but we're not a great tailgating spot

Top Bottom