Home and home with Mississippi St.

sal

Reaction score
Source: Minnesota and Mississippi State will begin a home-and-home series next season in Minneapolis. Return game in Starkville in 21-22. -- @JonRothstein
via http://cbssportsapp.com

That’s 4 of the 11 non-conference games now accounted for.

ACC Challenge (likely A)
Mississippi State (H)
vs. UCF (N)
vs. Marquette or Rhode Island (N)

1 or 2 others will be home games as part of the Air Force Reserve Hall of Fame Tip-Off.

That leaves 4 or 5 more to schedule.

I think this is probably more of a Coyle move than a Pitino move. I believe AD's usually set it up. Maybe Pitino Ok'd it but I don't think Pitino had much say here.

I think this is probably more of a Coyle move than a Pitino move. I believe AD's usually set it up. Maybe Pitino Ok'd it but I don't think Pitino had much say here.
AD's don't do much if anything with scheduling at the college level especially at the D1 level unless it is setting up some special event like the PK 80 out in Oregon that the Michigan State AD set up.
There is some speculation though that some ADs are instructing their coaches to try to find as many home&home series as they can for next year because of budget uncertainties and not wanting to have to pay a lot of guarantee games. If that is true it could lead to a lot of really good early season college basketball games.

AD's don't do much if anything with scheduling at the college level especially at the D1 level unless it is setting up some special event like the PK 80 out in Oregon that the Michigan State AD set up.
There is some speculation though that some ADs are instructing their coaches to try to find as many home&home series as they can for next year because of budget uncertainties and not wanting to have to pay a lot of guarantee games. If that is true it could lead to a lot of really good early season college basketball games.
Doesn't Barry set-up Wisconsin games? I get he is kinda the dictator in Wisconsin and it may be different for other schools, but that's what I've heard.

I don’t mind a few cupcakes but we should be scheduling these type of games on a consistent bases. Helps strength of schedule in the long run and prepares you better.

I'm guessing coyle has more important things to do than make the men's basketball schedule.

I'm guessing coyle has more important things to do than make the men's basketball schedule.
I'm pretty sure this is directly under ADs roles. Basketball and Football are the only profit generating sports in college. I would like to think your AD is heavily involved in those 2. Clearly coaches are heavily involved as well. You'd think Coyle is well aware that Pitino may not be around after next year, so I would think he would be involved specifically in this decision.

I would imagine coyle is involved, but I'm sure pitino has much more say in it than coyle.

I would imagine coyle is involved, but I'm sure pitino has much more say in it than coyle.
I would agree with you in general, but these circumstances with Pitino hot seat this year make it a little different IMO.
Even if Pitino did generate this I wouldn't see why Coyle would shut it down anyway. Seems like a good matchup no matter who the coach.

Possibly, I'm sure coyle suggests things, but if it was the ADs job to make schedule I would imagine depaul wouldnt have been the major game at the barn the last so many years.

Possibly, I'm sure coyle suggests things, but if it was the ADs job to make schedule I would imagine depaul wouldnt have been the major game at the barn the last so many years.
Agree coach is mainly responsible for schedule. It just isn't gonna be Pitino coaching this home-and-home. I would think AD just looks more at schedule from a financial POV.

Agree coach is mainly responsible for schedule. It just isn't gonna be Pitino coaching this home-and-home. I would think AD just looks more at schedule from a financial POV.
Pitino wont be coaching? He might not be coaching in starkville, but he will be coaching against miss state at the barn!

Pitino wont be coaching? He might not be coaching in starkville, but he will be coaching against miss state at the barn!
Oh shit I didn't see that starts this year, thought it was next and year after. My bad. Definitely Pitino then scheduling. He wants 'em at home. Would be a good win for us.

Oh shit I didn't see that starts this year, thought it was next and year after. My bad. Definitely Pitino then scheduling. He wants 'em at home. Would be a good win for us.
Haha we can only hope it's a win!

Doesn't Barry set-up Wisconsin games? I get he is kinda the dictator in Wisconsin and it may be different for other schools, but that's what I've heard.

No, Barry doesn't set up the basketball schedule at Wisconsin. He (as most ADs do) sets up the football schedule and on occasion they have worked basketball into the deal. That's how Wisconsin had to play a MBB game at Western Kentucky two years ago, as part of a football series contract. But, no, Barry doesn't waste his time scheduling basketball games, nor do most ADs. Almost all high major scheduling for men's basketball is done by the head coach, the basketball operations guy, and likely some assistant AD who helps.

I've always wondered why football games are scheduled like 10 years out, but basketball scheduling is year-to-year (or a couple years out when home-and-homes are involved). Anybody have insight on why that's the case?

I've always wondered why football games are scheduled like 10 years out, but basketball scheduling is year-to-year (or a couple years out when home-and-homes are involved). Anybody have insight on why that's the case?

Just a guess, but football scheduling is a lot less flexible than basketball so much harder to solidify games with them all on Saturday. For my money, I don't need ten years notice, but at least a complete basketball schedule by the time I have to pay for my season tickets would be nice.

No, Barry doesn't set up the basketball schedule at Wisconsin. He (as most ADs do) sets up the football schedule and on occasion they have worked basketball into the deal. That's how Wisconsin had to play a MBB game at Western Kentucky two years ago, as part of a football series contract. But, no, Barry doesn't waste his time scheduling basketball games, nor do most ADs. Almost all high major scheduling for men's basketball is done by the head coach, the basketball operations guy, and likely some assistant AD who helps.
Yeah I was thinkin' more football with Barry. He seems more like the football CEO than AD.

Top Bottom