Hole Pole: What grade would you give the Gophers coaching in the win over Purdue?

Hole Pole: What grade would you give the Gophers coaching in the win over Purdue?

• A

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • B

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • C

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • D

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Lucky to win
D was terrible as always
Grade D

D....PJ and his coaching staff did everything in their power to lose the game in the 4th quarter and it took a gift from the refs to save them...He still has not learned how to finish off a game the right way.

20+ staff and players unavailable yet we won. B

Wow, I am surprised at the grades here. I went B (would be B+ if that was an option) . This was an A performance until the 4th quarter and I just can't justify an A with the decision making in that final quarter. I am not sure if most people grading realized just how may guys were out for the Gophers? We had Jalen Logan-Redding gettting his first snaps as a true Freshman, we had MJ Anderson playing A LOT of snaps, Logan Richter made a nice play at DT. In the secondary, (former?) walkon Calvin Swenson played almost every snap and was often tasked with tackling Rondale Moore. When Howden went out in the 4th quarter we were down to Swenson and Nubin at Safety and I am not sure who else could have even played there? Phillip Howard who was all set to grad transfer due to lack of PT is playing every snap at CB since St Juste went out. Having the OL coach miss the game is no small deal either.

That said, the "B" performance here just shows how richly deserved the "F's" were for a number of other games this year. This Purdue team (minus their head coach, Rondale Moore, and King Doerue among others) beat Iowa. Depending on how Maryland finishes, they could be the best team we've played through 5 games, and we played them at our weakest.

Wow, I am surprised at the grades here. I went B (would be B+ if that was an option) . This was an A performance until the 4th quarter and I just can't justify an A with the decision making in that final quarter. I am not sure if most people grading realized just how may guys were out for the Gophers? We had Jalen Logan-Redding gettting his first snaps as a true Freshman, we had MJ Anderson playing A LOT of snaps, Logan Richter made a nice play at DT. In the secondary, (former?) walkon Calvin Swenson played almost every snap and was often tasked with tackling Rondale Moore. When Howden went out in the 4th quarter we were down to Swenson and Nubin at Safety and I am not sure who else could have even played there? Phillip Howard who was all set to grad transfer due to lack of PT is playing every snap at CB since St Juste went out. Having the OL coach miss the game is no small deal either.

That said, the "B" performance here just shows how richly deserved the "F's" were for a number of other games this year. This Purdue team (minus their head coach, Rondale Moore, and King Doerue among others) beat Iowa. Depending on how Maryland finishes, they could be the best team we've played through 5 games, and we played them at our weakest.
Yes, so much yes. QFT. I mean no offense, but people voting D are simply doing so out of spite. The offensive game plan was miles ahead of that we saw the first 5 weeks. For the defense to get even one stop with the dudes they were running out there was miraculous, lol. If ANYBODY here picked MN to win after that news of 20+ being out (most on D and ST), I'd like to see proof.

With approx 4 minutes to play, we run the ball twice up the middle (into a wall of large players) for a total of 2 yards. Then on 3rd and 8, we threw the ball to Bateman, at the line of scrimmage, for no gain. You really have to do a better job with the play calling than calling those 3 plays. Coaches have to be better than this.

Last edited:

The coaching was good overall, including going for it on 4th-and-1 from our own 30 near the end.* (asterisk) The offensive gameplan was sound, and the defense looked far more organized than the previous games, even if there were still grossly missed assignments. Rondale Moore was a beast, Plummer was dead accurate, and yet they still held Purdue under 40. And all of this was with about 20 rostered players out for the game, including a bunch of starters.

* The part that takes me from an A/B to a C is that, once again, with a lead in the 4th quarter, the offense decided to go away from what was working (the passing game) and went into a shell, the same stupid "strategy" they used when they blew the game against Maryland. So, they clearly didn't learn any lessons from the Maryland loss, and I'm afraid that this going into a shell - which was the same play-not-to-lose-that-causes-the-loss "strategy" that cost Glen Mason his job almost 15 years ago - is going to continue. It cannot. The Gophers' offense is predicated on a combination of running and passing, and their O is bad when it is one-dimensional. It's almost cost them two very winnable games now, it's just that in the case of last night, they got lucky. This RUTM stuff with a lead in the 4th quarter needs to stop. It's not good for winning, and it can't be positive for recruiting, either. Do what you do best from start to finish. We don't RUTM well, especially not in the 4th quarter against stacked boxes. So don't.

considering we could barely field a team and got a w, i went b

Going for 4th down with a run from your own 30s is simply insane - though the offensive line did gouge a big hole for the runner. But the man in motion left the scene and an unblocked defender. Always punt in such situations.

Going for 4th down with a run from your own 30s is simply insane - though the offensive line did gouge a big hole for the runner. But the man in motion left the scene and an unblocked defender. Always punt in such situations.
Perhaps you wouldn't have done this, but I can almost guarantee that if Fleck punts there and PU scores a quick TD, there would've been a deluge of posters questioning why he didn't go for it on 4th down. We would've seen a lot of, "If you can't get a yard, you don't deserve to win!!!1111!", IMO. Again, perhaps not from you, however. I actually thought going for it was a reasonable decision given what we've seen from this team so far this season. The defense is unlikely to stop any competent offense in a critical situation, and we've been pleading for the coaches to put more on the shoulders of the O. He tried it there, but unfortunately it backfired.

Top Bottom