Hoke's assistant hiring record

Ole

Reaction score
I found Hoke's staff additions at SDSU interesting and telling of a smart head coach.

He had no ties to the west coast or southwest when he went there, so he hired Rocky Long former New Mexico head coach, Brian Sipe, distinguished SDSU alum, former NFL QB turned champion local HS coach, and got Al Borges who's been around everywhere with some success.

Basically I think it shows that he understands the need to surround himself with good, experienced coordinators and assistants who understand the recruiting area and can play to the strengths available.

Any ideas who might be fit the profile of an established upper midwest/Big Ten coach he might look at? I can't see him bringing Sipe and Long along if he's hired here, maybe Borges, but he's been a journeyman type for years. Would Stan Parrish join him again? Too old?

He'd probably hire a bunch of ex-Badgers. Oh wait. We tried that.

He'd probably hire a bunch of ex-Wolverines :)

He'd probably hire a bunch of ex-Badgers. Oh wait. We tried that.

He'd probably hire a bunch of ex-Wolverines :)

This is always a great place to stop in the morning for more than a few smiles. :clap:

I found Hoke's staff additions at SDSU interesting and telling of a smart head coach.

He had no ties to the west coast or southwest when he went there, so he hired Rocky Long former New Mexico head coach, Brian Sipe, distinguished SDSU alum, former NFL QB turned champion local HS coach, and got Al Borges who's been around everywhere with some success.

Basically I think it shows that he understands the need to surround himself with good, experienced coordinators and assistants who understand the recruiting area and can play to the strengths available.

Any ideas who might be fit the profile of an established upper midwest/Big Ten coach he might look at? I can't see him bringing Sipe and Long along if he's hired here, maybe Borges, but he's been a journeyman type for years. Would Stan Parrish join him again? Too old?

I'm interested in this, as well. I think the main benefit of hiring an existing mid-level head coach (aside from the obvious experience aspect) is that he could bring close to an entire staff along with him. Most assistants at a mid-level school will jump to get into a Big Ten position. I think consistency and staff chemistry is big. We know the familar story of Ferentz's staff being basically the same for 12 years (very limited turnover). Jerry Kill, for example, has taken his staff right up the ladder with him at all of his stops from JUCO to D-I. My guess is he'd bring them all with him, if hired. Not sure on Hoke, but would have to assume he'd bring several of his existing SDSU staff. Interesting thought on Parrish. Never hurts to have an old crusty veteran coach on staff.

I think it would be wise to keep 1-2 staff members from the current Gopher staff here, too. I could see Horton, Cosgrove and/or O'Brien (ops guy) sticking around on the next staff. Horton would probably have to be a QB coach, Cosgrove would have to be a LB coach (neither would likley be coordinators, IMO). O'Brien could stay as ops guy because he has the Minnesota connection and knows the area coaches and the area scene. Definite help if the coach is an outsider. Brewster would have been aided by that.

If we were to hire someone like Hoke (someone whose salary is going to likely be below $2m), I would hope he would be given a significant purse from which to pay his staff. I'd be curious to see how someone with an alleged acumen for building a supporting cast would fare with such previously unseen resources.

Doesn't matter who Hoke would hire, it only matters WHO Calhoun WILL hire!

haha jk, just kidding, but not really.

Top Bottom