History of Gopher coach win/loss record

Let’s have no illusions. This program has never consistently won. We know the unfortunate history of the departure of 3 coaches who did win.

List of Minnesotan Men’s basketball coaches Won/lost records:

I think you are underselling LJ Cooke. 5 Conference Championships.

I do not in any way discount the importance of winning records, but looking my claim is about sustaining a Gopher basketball culture. Musselman ('71-'75) left in controversy after the early success of the "circus" provided a culture that resulted in the Ohio St. fight disaster. Years to recover. Dutcher ('75-'86) built a nice stretch of teams that once again filled the Barn. Resigned in controversy from sexual assault claims the night before Wisc. game. Haskins ('86-'99) had a run all the way to Final Four Bobby Jackson discounted in controversy due to the jilted tutor academic scandal. Years to recover. Tubby ('07-'13) took over as MN needed some credibility, got little support building facilities, had some success but was fired after a terrible loss to Florida (Donovan). Program was stagnant, never finishing higher than sixth in conf.
CBJ needs to build something that lasts, without controversy. The winning will be a by product of his groundwork.

OP, what exactly are you trying to say? Gopher fans are not asking for conference titles. Sure, one of those every 5-10 years would be great, but let's not kid ourselves here. If Ben just finished Top 6 in conference in back to back years, the renewed fervor on this board would be out of control. I can't even fathom the amount of victory laps that would be taken in that scenario.

the list is a little misleading. Clem's total on-court record is 241-168 for a (.589) winning percentage. Hey NCAA - vacate that!

but what stands out to me - other than the 1-year fill-ins and interim coaches, every full-time coach who lasted for at least two seasons left with an overall winning record. and that goes all the way back to 1944.

the program has had some down years, but still won more than they lost for the most part.

Gopher hoops may not have been great, but there haven't been that many season that were flat-out terrible. Johnson has got a lot of work to do if he wants to leave with an overall winning record.

Yes. Agreed. The last two years were painful. We all want better. So far, barring significant injuries, this year is likely to be better. Quite a bit has been written on this forum about the last two years and I'm not going to rehash it again.

Let's get some perspective on the records of the other coaches:
--In Jim Dutcher's 1st season *75-76), Musselman left him this starting lineup: Mychal Thompson, Ray Williams, Osborne Lockhart, Flip Saunders, and Dave Winey. Keep in mind that there was no transfer portal. Everyone stayed. He finished 6 of the then 10 teams in the Big Ten.

When Dutcher was fired, he also left the team loaded, and Clem Haskins started his first season with: Willie Burton, Richard Coffey, Jim Shikanjansky, Connell Lewis, ,and Tim Hanson. First season? 9th of the then 10 teams in the Big Ten.

Clem left Dan Monson with a less notable roster, but he did have h.s. All American Joel Pryzbilla for most of the season and fan favorites Dusty Rychart and J.B. Bickerstaff on the team Coach Monson finished last in the Big Ten his first season (99-00), and also in 03/04 and 05/06. He was 9th in 06/07. (Yes, I was a season ticket holder through all of that and the above*noted seasons.)

Additionally, Tubby Smith (in his six seasons), finished 8th once, and 9th twice.

As you all know, the B1G expanded to 12 teams in 2010 and 14 in 2014.. Pitinio's first season was 2013/14 He inherited a team that included Andre and Austin Hollins and Joey King. They finished 7th in the newly expanded league. The nest year 10th, then 13th. 11th in 17/18, 12th in 19/20, and finally 13th in 20/21.

So what is the point of all of this? Some of the previous new coaches were left with loaded teams. This is a new era of transfer portal and NIL. It takes time to build a team. Most people who follow college hoops say that it takes at least three years, but probably more. top build a program. Look at how long it has taken Rutgers and Northwestern (since hiring Chris Collins, and now he is doing iot with players he recruited who have stayed for four years)). Has Ben Johnson made mistakes as a new coach? Of course. No one is perfect and everyone is going to make mistakes as a new coach. But, he has also had some bad luck.

To compare his early seasons to the seasons of some of these other coaches of a bygone era is a false equivalency. There are two many things that seperate the experiences. I posted the record of the basketball program over the years, not so people could take more shots at the record of the last two years (there is no surprise in that, but because this program has historically struggled and has seen only brief glimpses of glory. Believe me, I have been there for those, and also throughout all of the struggles. Happy Holidays to all. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

Yes. Agreed. The last two years were painful. We all want better. So far, barring significant injuries, this year is likely to be better. Quite a bit has been written on this forum about the last two years and I'm not going to rehash it again.

--In Jim Dutcher's 1st season *75-76), Musselman left him this starting lineup: Mychal Thompson, Ray Williams, Osborne Lockhart, Flip Saunders, and Dave Winey. Keep in mind that there was no transfer portal. Everyone stayed. He finished 6 of the then 10 teams in the Big Ten.

When Dutcher was fired, he also left the team loaded, and Clem Haskins started his first season with: Willie Burton, Richard Coffey, Jim Shikanjansky, Connell Lewis, ,and Tim Hanson. First season? 9th of the then 10 teams in the Big Ten.

Clem left Dan Monson with a less notable roster, but he did have h.s. All American Joel Przbilla for most of the season and fan favorites Dusty Rychart and J.B. Bickerstaff on the team Coach Monson finished last in the Big Ten his first season (99-00), and also in 03/04 and 05/06. He was 9th in 06/07. (Yes, I was a season ticket holder through all of that and the above*noted seasons.)

Additionally, Tubby Smith (in his six seasons), finished 8th once, and 9th twice.

As you all know, the B1G expanded to 12 teams in 2010 and 14 in 2014.. Pitinio's first season was 2013/14 He inherited a team that included Andre and Austin Hollins and Joey King. They finished 7th in the newly expanded league. The nest year 10th, then 13th. 11th in 17/18, 12th in 19/20, and finally 13th in 20/21.

So what is the point of all of this? Some of the previous new coaches were left with loaded teams. This is a new era of transfer portal and NIL. It takes time to build a team. Most people who follow college hoops say that it takes at least three years, but probably more. top build a program. Look at how long it has taken Rutgers and Northwestern (since hiring Chris Collins, and now he is doing iot with players he recruited who have stayed for four years)). Has Ben Johnson made mistakes as a new coach? Of course. No one is perfect and everyone is going to make mistakes as a new coach. But, he has also had some bad luck.

To compare his early seasons to the seasons of some of these other coaches of a bygone era is a false equivalency. There are two many things that seperate the experiences. I posted the record of the basketball program over the years, not so people could take more shots at the record of the last two years (there is no surprise in that, but because this program has historically struggled and has seen only brief glimpses of glory. Believe me, I have been there for those, and also throughout all of the struggles. Happy Holidays to all. Go Gophers!

"This is a new era of transfer portal and NIL. It takes time to build a team."

No, it actually takes less time to build then ever in this new era. Nice try discounting the entire history of the program in an effort to make excuses for Ben though.

No, it actually takes less time to build then ever in this new era. Nice try discounting the entire history of the program in an effort to make excuses for Ben though.
If only this were true….. If it was true, you would see teams both nationally and in the B1G leapfrogging ahead, which has not happened, with very few national notable exceptiona. You need to load up NIL $$ which we have not been able to do because it generally takes a winning program first to do that, and for the most part big time recruits are attracted to programs that are already winning and/or have big name coaches. We weren’t going to draw a big name coach here.

Last edited:

If only this were true….. If it was true, you would see teams both nationally and in the B1G leapfrogging ahead, which has not happened, with very few national notable exceptiona. You need to load up NIL $$ which we have not been able to do because it generally takes a winning program first to do that, and for the most part big time recripuits are attracted to programs that are already winning and/or have big name coaches. We weren’t going to draw a big name coach here.
Your new member status is clear. Several examples of coaches in the past 3 seasons have been provided demonstrating dramatic 1st/2nd year turnarounds from other threads. Excuses don't sell tickets, winning big games does. NIL is just another excuse.

If only this were true….. If it was true, you would see teams both nationally and in the B1G leapfrogging ahead, which has not happened, with very few national notable exceptiona. You need to load up NIL $$ which we have not been able to do because it generally takes a winning program first to do that, and for the most part big time recripuits are attracted to programs that are already winning and/or have big name coaches. We weren’t going to draw a big name coach here.
Your new member status is clear. Several examples of coaches in the past 3 seasons have been provided demonstrating dramatic 1st/2nd year turnarounds from other threads. Excuses don't sell tickets, winning big games does. NIL is just another excuse.
New member doesn’t mean I don’t know the game or the program, but I am not part of the hate CBJ cult. Wasn’t aware that you expected to be anti- Coach Johnson to be on the forum (or be welcomed here).Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:

BTW, Jim Dutcher resigned, wasn't fired. There was a lot of discussion about canceling the rest of the season after the sexual assault claims in Madison. MN forfeited the next game against Northwestern, but opted to play out the rest of the season out of fairness to the rest of the players. Just another dark mark in the Gopher basketball history that we need to remember, and never allow again. CBJ is doing a good job getting the right guys.

BTW, Jim Dutcher resigned, wasn't fired. There was a lot of discussion about canceling the rest of the season after the sexual assault claims in Madison. MN forfeited the next game against Northwestern, but opted to play out the rest of the season out of fairness to the rest of the players. Just another dark mark in the Gopher basketball history that we need to remember, and never allow again. CBJ is doing a good job getting the right guys.
Thanks for the correction, resigned in the midst of scandal, likely avoiding being fired.

New member doesn’t mean I don’t know the game or the program, but I am not part of the hate CBJ cult. Wasn’t aware that you expected to be anti- Coach Johnson to be on the forum (or be welcomed here).Thanks for the welcome.
"We weren’t going to draw a big name coach here."
True, but that does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that Ben Johnson was the best choice. There were several gettable names currently having greater success that were floated on this board before the hire.
"but I am not part of the hate CBJ cult"
This is not real. There are probably less than 5 people who actually post in this forum that want BJ fired no matter what the results are. Most are just judging off of his win/loss record which has been atrocious to this point. Even when compared to the history of futility you have tried to point out. I want nothing more than Ben to win, I am just sick of the excuses. He has none this year so it's time to put up or shut up.

as I recall the matter, Jim Dutcher felt the UMN administration was over-reacting based on allegations. and in the end, the three players were acquitted on all charges. Yeah, it was messy and not a good look for the program. but Dutcher - as I recall - was arguing that the U should not pass judgement before the matter was resolved in court. and again, the players were acquitted.

could have been worse. the players could have turned in term papers on the menstrual cycle.

I absolutely agree that he needs to win going forward. I want that as much as anyone, and think it is reasonable to expect. Everything I have posted is about the expectations and the disappointing results of the first two years and whether he is being fairly judged. Obviously, losing coaches take a lot of heat. People want to win.

The team that Clem started with was beyond awful. Coffey was picked up by Clem not left by Dutcher. Connell Lewis was not good at all and Tim Hanson was a so so player who could shoot it.
Shik was a skinny freshman not ready to play in the Big Ten. Burton was raw as a frosh under Clem. What Dutcher did leave Clem was three recruits who would be a nice nucleus for the future in Burton, Newbern and Shik but they were all as green as the grass when Clem arrived and Newbern couldn't play as a frosh because he was prop 42

Last edited:

The team that Clem started with was beyond awful. Coffey was picked up by Clem not left by Dutcher. Connell Lewis was not good at all and Tim Hanson was a so so player who could shoot it.
Shik was a skinny freshman not ready to play in the Big Ten. Burton was raw as a frosh under Clem. What Dutcher did leave Clem was three recruits who would be a nice nucleus for the future in Burton, Newbern and Shik but they were all as green as the grass when Clem arrived and Newbern couldn't play as a frosh because he was prop 42
And the "loaded Pitino team" did have the "Hollins Bros" but nobody else left averaged more than 3 ppg for Tubby. Joey King was not inherited...he was a summer Pitino recruit who won the NCAA random eligibility sweepstakes.

If only this were true….. If it was true, you would see teams both nationally and in the B1G leapfrogging ahead, which has not happened, with very few national notable exceptiona. You need to load up NIL $$ which we have not been able to do because it generally takes a winning program first to do that, and for the most part big time recruits are attracted to programs that are already winning and/or have big name coaches. We weren’t going to draw a big name coach here.
Always, excuses.

Give it up.

Adapt, or die, as they say.

Muss/Dutcher was a good stretch. Always wonder how good they could have been with Muss long-term.

Top Bottom