High Point - the School & Program

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
High Point University is a moderately sized (3,000 students) private university (tuition, room & board is just under $28,000) located in central North Carolina. They've recently embarked on a fairly ambitious expansion program and I have to admit that the photos of the current and planned buildings all look pretty darned nice ... but pretty darned similar. (Apparently you can't build a structure on campus without a cupola and columns in front of the entrance.)

They have Division I teams in Men's and Women's basketball, cross-country, golf, soccer and track. Men also have baseball while women's teams also include volleyball and tennis.

High Point is in the Big South Conference (VMI, Presbyterian, Charleston Southern, Liberty, our favorite Gardner-Webb, NC-Asheville, Radford, Coastal Carolina and Winthrop).

High Point's men's team is fairly young (only one senior and two starting juniors) and struggling this year with a 4-7 season, including losses to NC State, Duquesne and Youngstown State. In fact, three of their wins are against non-Div I teams with the Panthers only beating one Div I team -- North Carolina Central University (NCCU). As of Saturday, they have an RPI of only 341 (third to last) and a paltry SOS (Strength of Schedule) of 339.

Their high scorer is Eugene Davis (13.5 ppg in an average of 32.5 minutes), a 6'2" Junior guard from Pittsburg. He scored 15 pts against Duquesne at the season start but only 8 points against Youngstown State last time out (12/19). Nick Barbour, another guard but a Freshman from Danville Va, may be more of an offensive threat. Although averaging only 10.5 ppg (in 22.7 minutes per game) , Barbour scored 21 points against Youngstown State and 22 against NC State last month.

High Point University is a moderately sized (3,000 students) private university (tuition, room & board is just under $28,000) located in central North Carolina. They've recently embarked on a fairly ambitious expansion program and I have to admit that the photos of the current and planned buildings all look pretty darned nice ... but pretty darned similar. (Apparently you can't build a structure on campus without a cupola and columns in front of the entrance.)

They have Division I teams in Men's and Women's basketball, cross-country, golf, soccer and track. Men also have baseball while women's teams also include volleyball and tennis.

High Point is in the Big South Conference (VMI, Presbyterian, Charleston Southern, Liberty, our favorite Gardner-Webb, NC-Asheville, Radford, Coastal Carolina and Winthrop).

High Point's men's team is fairly young (only one senior and two starting juniors) and struggling this year with a 4-7 season, including losses to NC State, Duquesne and Youngstown State. In fact, three of their wins are against non-Div I teams with the Panthers only beating one Div I team -- North Carolina Central University (NCCU). As of Saturday, they have an RPI of only 341 (third to last) and a paltry SOS (Strength of Schedule) of 339.

Their high scorer is Eugene Davis (13.5 ppg in an average of 32.5 minutes), a 6'2" Junior guard from Pittsburg. He scored 15 pts against Duquesne at the season start but only 8 points against Youngstown State last time out (12/19). Nick Barbour, another guard but a Freshman from Danville Va, may be more of an offensive threat. Although averaging only 10.5 ppg (in 22.7 minutes per game) , Barbour scored 21 points against Youngstown State and 22 against NC State last month.

I lived maybe 1/2 mile from HPU for four years. It's a very nice campus. They've done a lot of improvements lately, especially for athletics. I was able to get to a few games a year there so I'm pretty disappointed I can't go to this game tomorrow.

Top Bottom