Hickey: Predicting the first loss for every Big Ten team in 2023 (Minnesota: At North Carolina (Week 3))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Hickey:

Minnesota: At North Carolina (Week 3)​

Speaking of Heisman-caliber quarterbacks, the Gophers will find a rude awakening against North Carolina’s Drake Maye. There’s never been a quarterback like Maye in the Big Ten West, as Russell Wilson played during the Big Ten’s Leaders and Legends era.

Much like Illinois at Kansas, this matchup is a higher degree of difficulty than Minnesota initially signed up for.

Go Gophers!!

If we beat Nebraska, I think we beat NC. If we lose to Nebraska, chances are much higher we lose to NC. First three games will tell us a lot about the full year. God forbid we have a Bowling Green type non-conf game between Nebraska and NC.

If we beat Ohio State I will be in Gopher Heaven. That will more than make up for a loss to North Carolina.

Per Hickey:

Minnesota: At North Carolina (Week 3)​

Speaking of Heisman-caliber quarterbacks, the Gophers will find a rude awakening against North Carolina’s Drake Maye. There’s never been a quarterback like Maye in the Big Ten West, as Russell Wilson played during the Big Ten’s Leaders and Legends era.

Much like Illinois at Kansas, this matchup is a higher degree of difficulty than Minnesota initially signed up for.

Go Gophers!!
Probably about exactly the degree of difficulty we signed up for. UNC traditionally is a respectable team, unlike Kansas.

boo-boo-this-man.gif

Ohio State: Minnesota (Week 11)​

Mere paragraphs ago, I was the toast of Columbus for predicting that Michigan’s first loss will come against the Buckeyes. And now I get to be the pariah of the Olentangy for predicting what will happen the week prior.

On the surface, it may appear like the dumbest idea ever — a concept with which I’m quite familiar. The Gophers have not beaten the Buckeyes since 2000. And even that was a blip on the radar. Minnesota is 1-27 against Ohio State since 1982, which literally equates to the author’s lifetime.

However, timing is everything in life. And it was no coincidence that the only time Ohio State and Michigan were seriously threatened last season was the week before they faced one another. It will be impossible for Ohio State to not look ahead, especially if both teams are 10-0.

PJ Fleck had a winning game plan against the Buckeyes in 2021. Unfortunately for him, that went out the window when Mohamed Ibrahim tore his Achilles’ tendon at the end of the third quarter. Minnesota is built in a Michigan mold up front, which has clearly proven successful against Ohio State the past 2 years.

Also, keep in mind that a loss to Minnesota and a win over Michigan results in a Big Ten championship for Ohio State. In the obverse scenario, the Wolverines win their third straight.

Which sounds better?

Why would he be running for over 100?
My guess: Because AK won’t be accounted for by tOSU’s defense on most plays. They will be too busy trailing four WRs and a great TE in certain strategically employed empty backfield, spread formation sets. AK, now supposedly up to 215-20, will roll out, see daylight, and go. Not worth the risk in most games, but if we are in it against tOSU, it is worth the risk. 🤷🏼‍♂️

My guess: Because AK won’t be accounted for by tOSU’s defense on most plays. They will be too busy trailing four WRs and a great TE in certain strategically employed empty backfield, spread formation sets. AK, now supposedly up to 215-20, will roll out, see daylight, and go. Not worth the risk in most games, but if we are in it against tOSU, it is worth the risk. 🤷🏼‍♂️
If that's the case, he will be dumping it off to the RB. Or, they will change it up, go back to the past few years and he'll be handing off a lot.

Top Bottom