Hibbing Native Adam Johnson Dies From On-Ice Injury

Iceland12

Reaction score
He also played at UMD.

"Nottingham Panthers forward Adam Johnson has died after suffering a serious cut to his neck from a skate during Saturday's Challenge Cup match.

The game against the Sheffield Steelers was stopped in the 35th minute as the 29-year-old American received emergency treatment from paramedics on the ice."

Horrible. Prayers to his family and friends.

God, that just absolutely sucks. Don't even know how to feel. So tragic.

If you have a weak stomach I suggest you don’t watch the video. I wish hadn’t watched. Prayers for his family

The player who did it better be arrested and charged. Clearly not a hockey play, spun around to deliver kick to neck

I just can't imagine the guy intended to do that type of damage, but I have to admit in all my years watching hockey that is the strangest looking hit I've ever seen a guy deliver. I would have to watch the video a few more times to make a judgment and I don't have any interest in doing that.

Either way, juts a horrific and sad story for all involved. RIP Adam. I'll never forget watching you dominate at the state tournament.

The player who did it better be arrested and charged. Clearly not a hockey play, spun around to deliver kick to neck
You are going to be disappointed. There's almost 0% any criminal charges come of this. Nor should they.

Too tragic to even begin to comment. Horrible.

Criminal charges came of this:

Wow, clearly I was dead wrong. I have to say I am shocked, but without knowing the details of the charges and what was behind the decision I guess I can’t argue it. Just awful all around.

Just a sad story all around. Feel so bad for all of this. I don't know why, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about it.

Wow, clearly I was dead wrong. I have to say I am shocked, but without knowing the details of the charges and what was behind the decision I guess I can’t argue it. Just awful all around.
It wasn’t a hockey play. This wasn’t just an accident. The guy clearly didn’t intend to murder anyone but IMO he did intend to hurt someone with kid skates. When you do that and someone dies, it’s manslaughter. This wasn’t part of hockey. It was a dirty play. For me, it’s not much different from the Bertuzzi play.

It wasn’t a hockey play. This wasn’t just an accident. The guy clearly didn’t intend to murder anyone but IMO he did intend to hurt someone with kid skates. When you do that and someone dies, it’s manslaughter. This wasn’t part of hockey. It was a dirty play. For me, it’s not much different from the Bertuzzi play.
As a legal novice, is that essentially what determines if he's guilty of a crime? i.e. if it was determined it was a "regular hockey play" he's innocent, but the reasoning behind the charges is that what he did isn't a generally accepted hockey play?

As a legal novice, is that essentially what determines if he's guilty of a crime? i.e. if it was determined it was a "regular hockey play" he's innocent, but the reasoning behind the charges is that what he did isn't a generally accepted hockey play?
Yeah, that's what would make a situation like this a crime that and the intentionality (there is a difference between being tripped and your skate going in the air and hitting someone's neck and this situation).

The argument for this being criminal conduct is that he intentionally raised his skate to hit Adam Johnson in a way that isn't a natural part of the game. That intentional conduct was negligent and dangerous and resulted in Adam Johnson's death.

In football, if you hurt someone tackling them, that's part of the game. It's part of what everyone expects in that situation. However, if you take off your helmet and swing it at someone, that could be criminal conduct.

We could think of situations in sports where the line could be more blurred. Is beaning a player in baseball part of the game? Could a hit in football be so dirty it's criminal?

Anything else come of this?

Top Bottom