Hendersons State Gophers in Mix

Iceland12

Reaction score
Gophers and Notre Dame are still in the mix according to article in today's Pioneer Press (twincities.com). It could easily be damage control. I'd choose Miami to visit in January even if I WAS going to Minnesota! I also have to admit that caring about the College choices of kids that I don't even know is more then a bit odd.

That being said here it is, sorry if it was posted on a previous page:

"Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson will decide between Minnesota, Iowa, Oklahoma and Miami for his final official college recruiting trip.

Henderson, the 6-foot-8, 330-pound senior ranked as the top high school recruit in the country, has an official visit planned this weekend to Florida. He already has made official visits to Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame.

Sean Henderson, Seantrel's father and spokesman, discounted a belief that his son crossed Notre Dame off his list when head coach Charlie Weis was fired.

"Notre Dame is still very much in the mix,'' Sean Henderson said.

He said new Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly hasn't contacted the family, but Henderson believes he will, perhaps as soon as next week.

Henderson has been in Washington, D.C., this week on a tour as one of seven finalists for the U.S. Army national player of the year award. On Tuesday, he toured the Pentagon and, along with other finalists, laid the wreath on the tomb of the unknown solider at Arlington National Cemetery.

Sean Henderson said his son would not announce his college choice Jan. 9 at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio. University of Minnesota quarterback MarQueis Gray used the nationally televised game to announce his college choice.

Sean Henderson said the Gophers remain on Seantrel's college list as a legitimate option. "It's home; it's not a token gesture,'' he said. "It's about having the opportunity to play near home if he chooses to do that. We can go across the street to see him play.''

Including Christmas break, Henderson will be away from school for four weeks with his college recruiting visits and his participation in the All-American Bowl. He returns to school on Jan. 11. He plans to spend much of the Christmas break doing advance homework. Henderson made Cretin-Derham Hall's honor roll for the first time last trimester.

"First and foremost, we want to find a school that has a strong support system around him,'' Sean Henderson said. "That includes education, his relationship with his line coach and the comfortability of living away from home.''

I really don't know why it would be damage control. If the kid has absolutely no intention on even considering the Gophers, then what does he gain by telling us now (or in a couple weeks) that he isn't coming here. I think Minnesota has a very slight chance to nab this kid, but I would be shocked if he didn't end up at USC.

I really don't know why it would be damage control. If the kid has absolutely no intention on even considering the Gophers, then what does he gain by telling us now (or in a couple weeks) that he isn't coming here. I think Minnesota has a very slight chance to nab this kid, but I would be shocked if he didn't end up at USC.

Only because there are a lot of wackos out there. Why give them the extra ammunition? Realistically you could be right though Bob. Real space monkeys don't need any extra incentives to act like fools.

My other concern is even more basic. A number of times now Minnesota has been left out when Henderson is talking about possible schools with national media. That has always been followed by an interview with a local guy saying "don't worry we are still considering the University". It's getting a little old.

If he doesn't choose the U, I would like to see him stay in the BT. Keep the talent within the conf.

If he doesn't choose the U, I would like to see him stay in the BT. Keep the talent within the conf.

i agree. i would've loved to see michael floyd wearing scarlet and gray and gaining about 250 yards against us.

:rolleyes:

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard
At no point in your rambling, incoherent writing were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone who read this is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul." To steal a line from Billy Madison.

Anyone who seriously thinks that as a Gopher fan deserves to be savaged.

It seems that there's a certain amount of folks on this board who hyperventilate whenever they hear Seantrel talk and the word "Minnesota" isn't included in the statement. I have no idea whether Seantrel is coming here or not. But can we at least try to remain somewhat sane please? Regardless of whether Mr. Henderson is or is not considering the Gophers, regardless of whether he does or does not become a Gopher, the world will continue to rotate and the sun will come up the next day. So can we please keep the over-reactions to every word that Henderson utters to a minimum for the time being?

It seems that there's a certain amount of folks on this board who hyperventilate whenever they hear Seantrel talk and the word "Minnesota" isn't included in the statement. I have no idea whether Seantrel is coming here or not. But can we at least try to remain somewhat sane please? Regardless of whether Mr. Henderson is or is not considering the Gophers, regardless of whether he does or does not become a Gopher, the world will continue to rotate and the sun will come up the next day. So can we please keep the over-reactions to every word that Henderson utters to a minimum for the time being?

+1, in addition, we have some fine recruits coming up for our line. This team does not live or die with Seantrel Henderson. He plays in a position where he cannot single handedly decide a game. If Henderson were a quarterback or running back or wideout, I would be much, much more disappointed. I'm all about the Jimmy Gjere/Lamonte Edwards bandwagon. These are the kids who should be getting all of our love. Same with every other Minny recruit who know where their hearts lie. Here's to 4-5 years of greatness for these guys.

It's great that we have SH and all, but it really is overshadowing two great minn kids in Edwards and Gjere. Any other year, we're pretty happy with getting those two.

+1, in addition, we have some fine recruits coming up for our line. This team does not live or die with Seantrel Henderson. He plays in a position where he cannot single handedly decide a game. If Henderson were a quarterback or running back or wideout, I would be much, much more disappointed. I'm all about the Jimmy Gjere/Lamonte Edwards bandwagon. These are the kids who should be getting all of our love. Same with every other Minny recruit who know where their hearts lie. Here's to 4-5 years of greatness for these guys.

This is definitely the best post i've seen in a while. I totally agree and I'm jumping on the bandwagon with you.

its too bad he doesn't have the same attitude as royce did about the U. Once all MN star high school athletes start to feel that way about the U we will become a top 4 big ten team every year.

This is definitely the best post i've seen in a while. I totally agree and I'm jumping on the bandwagon with you.

I am new to the board but a very longtime reader...I totally agree with giving all my love to the Minnesota kids who did chose to stay at home. If Seantrel chooses that path as well, then I will be welcoming him to the Gopher Nation family with wide open arms. When or if that even happens remains to be seen, but the more I read, the more I become skeptical about whether or not that is going to happen.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4751696

thats what i was thinking also brew recruit. royce may have his problems but his love for the U is not in question. i hope henderson quietly feels the same way

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard
At no point in your rambling, incoherent writing were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone who read this is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul." To steal a line from Billy Madison.

Anyone who seriously thinks that as a Gopher fan deserves to be savaged.

Really?

Keeping the best students both academic and athletic within the Big Ten benefits the conf. Rising tide lifts all boats.

Really?

Keeping the best students both academic and athletic within the Big Ten benefits the conf. Rising tide lifts all boats.

(facepalm)

So having the teams in the conference who already get more talent per year than us snag even more talent out of our state will benefit us how? Sure, it might make sure that the U's share of the money stays higher from 2 Big10 teams in the BCS each season. And maybe Henderson will help OSU win in big games which could help the conference's image. But I fail to see how either of these things are different/better than the current situation. I also fail to see how having players like Henderson go to OSU will help Minnesota do what it is currently failing to do in the Big 10...win more games.

It's a catch-22. I want to see the Gophers win more Big Ten games, and I want the conference to improve as a whole. Henderson going to the Gophers helps on both fronts, Henderson going to another B10 school hurts one front and helps the other, and Henderson leaving the Big Ten hurts the conference and helps the Gophers. <shrug>

"First and foremost, we want to find a school that has a strong support system around him,'' Sean Henderson said. "That includes education, his relationship with his line coach and the comfortability of living away from home.''

If this isn't a hint to those who still feel like he may come here, than I do not know if anything ever will be that he is leaving us. Pretty simple.

If this isn't a hint to those who still feel like he may come here, than I do not know if anything ever will be that he is leaving us. Pretty simple.

I don't think that is a hint. I think living away from home includes MN. Yeah it's 10 minutes away, but it is still an adjustment not living with your parents.

Living in a dorm in Minneapolis is still living away from home...just sayin.

I don't think that is a hint. I think living away from home includes MN. Yeah it's 10 minutes away, but it is still an adjustment not living with your parents.

Grasping at straws.

Some kids, myself included, like the idea of a couple hundred miles between them and their parents. A program that hasn't seen 4 conference wins in a season is hardly enough to sway a kid...

He's long gone and anything else is lip service, now hug and say goodbye

rise_henderson03a_576.jpg

GH: Is there a negative about Minnesota?

SH: They went 6-6 this year and it’s kind of been up and down here.

Wow, nothing about the media? Writers? etc?

Nope. He won't come here because we're terrible.

Top Bottom