Heisman Five - Mohamed Ibrahim - ESPN

Iceland12

Reaction score
5. Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim

The Golden Gophers are 3-0 with one of the highest scoring offenses in the country, and Ibrahim is a huge reason why. Against Colorado on Saturday, Ibrahim married the ball 23 times for 202 yards and three touchdowns. It was his third career 200-yard game and his 12th straight with 100 on the ground. The truly wild thing about that streak is, it dates all the way back to the 2019 season. Ibrahim went for 140 in Minnesota's bowl game against Auburn Tigersthat season, then hit the century mark in all seven of Minnesota's games in the COVID-shortened 2020 campaign. He ran for 163 in the opener for 2021, but got hurt and missed the rest of the season. He returned for 2022 and has gone over 100 in each of Minnesota's first three of this year. It's the longest streak by an FBS back since Texas' D'Onta Foreman had 13 straight in 2015.

That is a truly astounding streak. It is especially amazing that it is drawn out over that many seasons. When you consider the obstacles — overcoming the disjointedness of the COVID season, the changes on the coaching staff, the very serious injury — it is an incredible accomplishment.

He's tied with Blake Corum for #1 in FBS in rushing TDs with 7. Corum had 5 vs UConn. Mo has had at least 2 in each game.
He's tied with *Anthony Grant for #2 in FBS in rushing yards with 464 yards. #1 is Chase Brown who has 496 yards.
* Grant have played one more game than Ibrahim.

6.9 yards per rush over 67 carries.

Last edited:

Fun to see him in the sea of QB candidates

Would be something to see him have a special season and be invited to the stage as a finalist

So excited to watch him next week against Michigan State. Will get a whole game to show the team is legit and he is what makes our offense flourish. Morgan and the WR's need to do enough to keep defenses honest, but if they are we should roll through teams.

He's a long shot but if he can win the rushing title while the Gophers win 12+ games (inclusive of the B1G title game) it's possible.

You all know Mo could have 3 200+ games already this season.

I’m glad PJ has refrained from giving him 30 carries up to now.

Got a feeling that rule is going to be toast the rest of the season.

that is an amazing streak. if he keeps it going this weekend, that sure would make me feel better about beating Mich St.

FanDuel down at Diamond Jo's still lists Mo at 100 to 1 Heisman odds (it was 150 to 1 at the start of the year. When I was down there a month ago, that was the bet I forgot to put $20 on for fun. I'm not driving down there again just for that bet, however.

FanDuel down at Diamond Jo's still lists Mo at 100 to 1 Heisman odds (it was 150 to 1 at the start of the year. When I was down there a month ago, that was the bet I forgot to put $20 on for fun. I'm not driving down there again just for that bet, however.

100:1 is pretty good for the only non-QB and player for a non-top 10 team who ESPN bothered to mention 3 weeks in.

If Minnesota can somehow win 12 games and Mo is healthy for all of them, I put his Heisman odds around 10:1 or 5:1 or so. But he's going to need the story of a great Gopher team to have a chance.

Fun to see him in the sea of QB candidates

Would be something to see him have a special season and be invited to the stage as a finalist
I hope our O-line is up to the task.

Give him space and he will do it.

Have you heard of the internet?
They gave this new thingy called Online Waggering - all the cool kids are doing it

I'm old and Ibrahim is so old school in his running style that I can't help but love the way he plays. He stays healthy and puts up big numbers, he'll be in the conversation, but as others have said, team performance usually plays a big role in voters' minds. Same goes for MVP awards in the major sports. If the Gophers do well, it will be well-established that Ibrahim is central to that success and that would elevate him.

If at the end of the season we see Mo holding both The Axe and The Pig, further greatness shouldn't be far behind...

3 non-QB Heismans in the last 16 years, and all 3 were Bama players. Pretty insane to see.

As others have said, the Gophers need to have a huge year for Mo to be considered, regardless of his individual stats. I’m going to be keeping an eye on how Mo’s stats compare to Kenneth Walker’s from last year- he put up some massive numbers in big games and wasn’t even a finalist. The fact that this is even a discussion for us is just a surreal feeling.

Top Bottom