Headline was better than the story

Reaction score
I think the Barker issue was a made for talk radio/internet blog drama.
It had the perfect storyline for everyone to choose sides and argue. Underdog walkon turns himself into leading reciever and then quits team. Alleges abuse and mistreatment by hot tempered coach. Creates perception he was being forced to play on an injury.
After 24 hours, I think the story has died down because everyone got a chance to look a the details.
1. The star reciever had 2 career catches coming into the season, that is why he didn't have a scholarship. Scholarships can't be awarded mid season, maybe the coach should have assured him one was waiting for him, but that is coaches judgement.
2. Copyrite Dan Barreiro, Breaking news out of Minneapolis, College Football Coaches yell at players. Also, water is wet. This may shock some people, but those are the same people that believe Coach K is the sweet and idealistic person they see on the American Express commercials.
3. The player was not following the treatment plan set by the trainers. I think most people find it reasonable that the coach would expect the player to follow the treatment plan.
4. The player should have approached a coach or someone in the athletic department instead of writing a 4,000 word manifesto on the internet. That's just bush league.

I think Coach Kill will regret the severity of his screaming at Barker and Barker will regret putting his complaints out on the internet. The worst part of this is the casual person on the street now thinks Jerry Kill is a tyrant and doesn't take the time to look past the headline.

Top Bottom