Headed to tonight's New Orleans Bowl...

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
I plan on being in Murfreesboro for the 2010 opener, so might as well take the opportunity to do a little advance scouting on our first opponent of next season. Middle Tennessee's only losses this season were to Clemson, Troy and Mississippi State, they won their final six, including five by at least 17 points, so I'd expect that game to be a little closer than when we opened on the road at Kent State in '06.

I plan on being in Murfreesboro for the 2010 opener, so might as well take the opportunity to do a little advance scouting on our first opponent of next season. Middle Tennessee's only losses this season were to Clemson, Troy and Mississippi State, they won their final six, including five by at least 17 points, so I'd expect that game to be a little closer than when we opened on the road at Kent State in '06.

MTSU QB Dwight Dasher had a monster game 26-201 rushing plus 162 passing and MTSU outclassed USM 42-32. He broke the quarterback bowl rushing record of 200 yards set by Texas’ Vince Young in the 2006 Rose Bowl against Southern California.

Should be a good time for the CFB season opener. Dasher will be hyped like mad and we will lurk in the background.

Bowl Season kicking off and already some great games.

Bowl Season kicking off and already some great games.

People complain about too many bowl games but I disagree. I personally love them. Some of these lesser bowls are the most exciting. I watch as many as I can.

I caught a bit of this game, to preview MTSU.
Their QB is a speedster that's for sure. Alot of spread razzle dazzle etc.
This is the type of game the gophers need to dominate in the trenches.
I do like our chances containing their QB despite his obvious talents. MTSU is a finesse team with alot of speed, but gum up the running lanes, physically dominate up front, and keep contain outside, we'll be fine.

Dasher looked good, especially considering he was playing on a bum ankle and had to leave the game twice to receive medical attention. He will provide a big challenge for our inexperienced linebackers next September.

The Blue Raider receivers help out by doing a great job blocking, both on Dasher's runs and on their bubble screens.

MTSU likes to keep an up tempo offense, as they routinely would snap the ball with 15-20 seconds remaining on the play clock. You could tell that these guys play hard and play with a lot of energy. We'd better be in shape coming out of fall practice.

Southern Miss got a decent amount of pressure throughout, but couldn't keep containment, and frequently let receivers come open 20 yards downfield as Dasher would scramble. Looked like Southern Miss had the superior athletes, but just didn't play well on defense.

Can't say anything about MTSU's defense really stood out. Their DE Chris McCoy was Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year, but he's gone next year, as are four other Blue Raiders who made first or second team All-Conference on defense.

Thanks to all for the reports!*

Dasher looked good, especially considering he was playing on a bum ankle and had to leave the game twice to receive medical attention. He will provide a big challenge for our inexperienced linebackers next September.

The Blue Raider receivers help out by doing a great job blocking, both on Dasher's runs and on their bubble screens.

MTSU likes to keep an up tempo offense, as they routinely would snap the ball with 15-20 seconds remaining on the play clock. You could tell that these guys play hard and play with a lot of energy. We'd better be in shape coming out of fall practice.

Southern Miss got a decent amount of pressure throughout, but couldn't keep containment, and frequently let receivers come open 20 yards downfield as Dasher would scramble. Looked like Southern Miss had the superior athletes, but just didn't play well on defense.

Can't say anything about MTSU's defense really stood out. Their DE Chris McCoy was Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year, but he's gone next year, as are four other Blue Raiders who made first or second team All-Conference on defense.

Top Bottom