He had me at "sumbitch"

norman dale

Lord, grant me one Rose Bowl
Reaction score
Finally purchased airfare for the USC. Had been on the fence for a long time due to various reasons but eventually the lure watching a game at the fabled LA Coliseum / USC football / Song Girls / Road Trip were too much to pass up.

Ever since this matchup was announced I knew I wanted to be in the Coliseum to watch the Gophers play but became leary with the coaching change. History is not on the side of a good outcome given the first game outcome of Mason's Hawa'ii loss (Cory Sauter running the option, WTF !!!) and the debacle that was Bowling Green in Timmy B's Metrodome welcoming.

I heavily consummed the Brewster Kool-Aid his first year and have vowed never to succumb to the slick words of a college football coach. Show me, not tell me. My initial reaction to Jerry Kill, like many others, was slight apathy. Moreso due to how Maturi handled the search and not Jerry Kill himself.

Really took notice of JK after his initial press conference and have been impressed with his assistants, especially their loyalty towards him. JK went above and beyond the call of duty representing the program.

It may have been Phil Miller's profile of JK this past Sunday that did it for me. Especially this quote where JK is talking about in reverance of his father:

"The president of the company sent a private plane to Michigan to get him back home. How many laborers do you know who they'd do that for?" Jerry Kill says. "He was too weak to walk. He hadn't been out of bed for two weeks, but when they took him to the plane, wearing his Saginaw football cap, that sumbitch got up and walked to the plane."

Sumbitch! I hadn't heard that much eloquence since I sat around the Granite Falls Co-op elevator lobby in the mid 80's while my dad unloaded a truck full of soybeans and listened to the old farmers in the their Norwegian brogue lambast one of their fellow farmers for having a soybean field full of weeds. I can just envision JK wearing a DeKalb seed corn hat walking down the main street of Cheney, KS instead of roaming the sidelines of a Big 10 football field come this fall. Gotta respect the man at the top because it will all travel downhill from there.

I think everyone really wants him to succeed.

Top Bottom