Hayes: Ranking the B1G head coaches ahead of 2024 (9. PJ Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Hayes:

Maintaining​

9. PJ Fleck, Minnesota

The now: For the first time since Fleck arrived at Minnesota, there is hesitation.

His choice at quarterback (Athan Kaliakmanis) didn’t work, and he transferred to Rutgers. The offense struggled, and the defense — for the first time in 3 seasons — did, too.

Minnesota won 5 games, and reached a bowl because of its academic prowess — and beat outmanned Bowling Green to get to 6 wins.

The future: The offense will change with QB Max Brosmer, an FCS transfer from New Hampshire. The defense will, too, with new DC Corey Hetherman.

Go Gophers!!

We've been burned wayyyyyy too many times in the past to expect anything but the worst. I choose to believe that the 8+ win seasons were the norm and last year was an outlier, not the other way around. I expect a turnaround. New, accomplished qb and a coach who has never shown that he'll settle for mediocrity from one season to the next. Will he settle mid season? Sure, to the chagrin of many of us depending on the win/loss record. But he's not going to go out on anyone's terms but his own. He sees too much at stake based on the culture he surrounds his life and the program around to just ride this out.

After last season he gets a mild beat down. But then he should be back to upper-middle, low-high.

PJ runs a college football program like it should be; with Integrety, quality coaching & making his players better on-off the field. Players need to accept the culture & coaching. One would have to go back decades to find better than PJ. Not everyone is qualified to be a Gopher football player.

PJ runs a college football program like it should be; with Integrety, quality coaching & making his players better on-off the field. Players need to accept the culture & coaching. One would have to go back decades to find better than PJ. Not everyone is qualified to be a Gopher football player.
There is a reason he's the third most tenured coach in the conference.

There is a reason he's the third most tenured coach in the conference.
Our weak AD is the reason, I agree.

PJ in the middle of the pack is at his ceiling. I think we should all be excited that he finally made it to the upper tier of the bottom half of the conference in recruiting - because his stellar recruiting was a selling point on the hire. It only took 8 years to almost be in the top 50% of the conference.

We'll leave out the part where the conference added four teams. He's the best average coach we could find. I'm just so relieved he decided not to take a pay cut to go to Michigan after the season. I'm hopeful he'll enlighten me on how every single decision of his was perfect, except the players just didn't execute. I've heard there were reasons that maybe only he can understand.

I've just got my fingers crossed we'll catch ligtening in a bottle again in 2024 and get a chance to play 75% of our games where the opposition lost their starting QB the week before or early in the game against us. THat's all we need for another magical PJ Fleck season.

PJ in the middle of the pack is at his ceiling. I think we should all be excited that he finally made it to the upper tier of the bottom half of the conference in recruiting - because his stellar recruiting was a selling point on the hire. It only took 8 years to almost be in the top 50% of the conference.

We'll leave out the part where the conference added four teams. He's the best average coach we could find. I'm just so relieved he decided not to take a pay cut to go to Michigan after the season. I'm hopeful he'll enlighten me on how every single decision of his was perfect, except the players just didn't execute. I've heard there were reasons that maybe only he can understand.

I've just got my fingers crossed we'll catch ligtening in a bottle again in 2024 and get a chance to play 75% of our games where the opposition lost their starting QB the week before or early in the game against us. THat's all we need for another magical PJ Fleck season.
Unless we break the bank...$10M/yr...we won't find a better coach than Fleck.

We were historically bad before he arrived. Hadn't had a good season in 50 years.

How do you really feel???🤣

How do you really feel???🤣
Was curious to see what good ole Cali had to say.....nice to get confirmation that ignoring his posts was and still is the right decision. :)

PJ definitely still has something to prove to the fanbase. Was 2019 an anomaly? Can he develop a quarterback? Will the defense get back to where it was?

I really it hope it works out for our weirdo coach here and we can consistently be a threat in the conference.

PJ definitely still has something to prove to the fanbase. Was 2019 an anomaly? Can he develop a quarterback? Will the defense get back to where it was?

I really it hope it works out for our weirdo coach here and we can consistently be a threat in the conference.
You mean 2019, 2021 and 2022?

PJ is a dichotomy. He’s exceptionally good at some things and exceptionally bad at others.

We were historically bad before he arrived. Hadn't had a good season in 50 years.
Hadnt had a good season in 50 years? We were 9-4 the year before he arrived, so if that doesn't meet your bar for "good season", then we've only had 1 good season since he arrived.

He was definitely in the top half of coaches prior to this IMO. The conference has added a lot of big names the past year or two.

You mean 2019, 2021 and 2022
While 2021 and 2022 were good seasons, they didn't have a signature win or end with a new years day bowl game. That season was a big deal, rewarding the gopher faithful and catching the interest of the casual fan. I want some more of that!

You think those three seasons were pretty much the same? I would argue that 2019 was great, and 21 and 22 were pretty good. If 21 and 22 were the norm I’d be very pleased. As of now I’d consider 2019 an outlier season. But that can change
All 3 ended one flipped game from playing in the B1G title game, but I agree 2019 was elite.

More than 10 million I think.

Washington just had to pay 9 million for Jedd Fisch

When PJ was hired, if the 7-year deal was 1 top-10 season, but no other season finishing ranked in the AP or Coaches poll, and no title game in Indy, I would have passed. But that is not how I feel after 7 years. PJ has been solid, and frustratingly close to good. But the new era will be challenging. Will be interesting to see if PJ can elevate the program going forward. If not, after 2-4 years, will be time to move on.

When PJ was hired, if the 7-year deal was 1 top-10 season, but no other season finishing ranked in the AP or Coaches poll, and no title game in Indy, I would have passed. But that is not how I feel after 7 years. PJ has been solid, and frustratingly close to good. But the new era will be challenging. Will be interesting to see if PJ can elevate the program going forward. If not, after 2-4 years, will be time to move on.
Agree and he is definitely trending in the wrong direction. Last 4 full big ten seasons
7-2
6-3
5-4
3-6

More than three big ten wins this year will be tough.
I hope the trend is flipped

Top Bottom