Hawkeyes and "Branding"

50PoundHead

Reaction score
After the Gopher loss to Wisconsin, there was a lot of discussion on the forum regarding how we needed to "brand" Gopher football and I can't think of a better example of how to do it correctly than what Ferentz has done in Iowa. Griese pointed out that the Hawkeyes take a lot of 2- and 3-star guys and really school them into fundamentally sound players who can elevate their game to compete successfully in the Big 10.

Ferentz has had his problems with players' off-field issues (but really, what program hasn't these days?), but I think it's important for Gopher fans to be patient with Brewster. It wasn't until his 4th season that Iowa elevated itself into a top-tier football team.

But Brewster has to step up a bit as well. He's done a great job straightening out the recruiting, the he needs to get and retain top assistants and establish and maintain a system that will get the most out of the players he's recruiting.

I've rambled a bit, but I guess what I'm saying is that we have a great example of how to build and maintain a program right to our south.

Top Bottom