Have any Minnesota kids committed to...

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
Have any Minnesota kids committed to any BCS school other than Minnesota this year? I'm not aware of any.

I'm guessing you mean for the 2012 recruiting cycle?

No Minnesota kids have committed anywhere other than Minnesota. Other than Davidson, who is going to OSU and shouldn't count as a Minnesota kid anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 9-for-9 with in-state offers.

Do you think they will offer that many (9) Mn. kids. Who do you think will get the offers. Will it be the rivals top 10 minus Davidson or are there some other kids Kill really likes.

They've already offered 9:

Nelson
McDonald
Fruechte
Johnson
Pirsig
Hayes
Rallis (who Rivals refuses to update for some reason)
Williams
Leidner

And all except Johnson are Gopher verbals. I would not be surprised, from what I've heard, if Johnson picks the Gophers.

I think the gophers have a great shot at Johnson, playing time is available. Plus rumor has it he is cooling on Iowa since they took 3 tight ends in last years class.

What about what's his chops from Minnetonka High? Any chance he will get the grades and test scores. Will they offer if he does?

dpodoll68,

I guess I did not count Fruechete because he is JC. Hopefully McDonald will stay Golden and Johnson will realize this is the best place for him to play. That would be a great in-state class for Coach Kill. Hopefully this will start a positive trend and keep the Mn. kids interested in staying home. No school ever gets them all, but it's a good goal to have.

No Minnesota kids have committed anywhere other than Minnesota. Other than Davidson, who is going to OSU and shouldn't count as a Minnesota kid anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 9-for-9 with in-state offers.
Has Davidson committed to OSU?

I'm not sure people are going to agree with me on this but I think it's imperative that the staff wraps up or signs the majority of the top 5-6 kids from the state, especially the top 3. After that, it's hard to find legitimate big-time talent in this state. Minnesota is often top heavy when it comes to HS football recruits. I don't think it's that important to worry too much about guys outside the top 6-7 (unless you're talking about preferred walk-ons of course).

We will offer Webb too if he gets a qualifying score. That will give us 9 offers to MN HS kids, plus the verbal from JC Fruetche.

Neutral,

Most years you are about right with 5-6 kids. I am hoping that will increase soon to around 10 per year. If you look at the last several years there are usually a few sleepers that slip through and become pretty good football players. Maybe Kill and staff can spot some of those kids and offer a few more Mn. kids every year.

Minnesota is loaded with talent this year. I can't remember a year where there has been more bCS caliber talent in the state.

I'm not sure people are going to agree with me on this but I think it's imperative that the staff wraps up or signs the majority of the top 5-6 kids from the state, especially the top 3. After that, it's hard to find legitimate big-time talent in this state. Minnesota is often top heavy when it comes to HS football recruits. I don't think it's that important to worry too much about guys outside the top 6-7 (unless you're talking about preferred walk-ons of course).

It really comes down to how much hair splitting you want to do. If I were recruiting four kids with similar talent, I would take the MN every time. This years class is good according to all the experts. We have the 4th ranked player on WI list committed and he is a 2* according to Rivals.

We might be out of scholarships by the time Webb is eligible.

Personally, I would much rather have a DB recruit from FL like jiles is who highly rated and still considering us. DB talent in Florida is just on another level.

I know we have offered Jiles, but is he considering us? I haven't heard much saying that we had a good chance. I think Jiles is on another level than Webb, but Webb is still a quality BCS recruit. As previously stated, I think the biggest reason he doesn't have a lot of offers is because of eligibility issues. It's been a while since MN has produced a quality DB. Last one that comes to mind is John Shevlin...Corey Frazier was also good.

Tyreece Jiles- http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Tyreece-Jiles-124139
Charles Webb- http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Charles-Webb-117884

I know we have offered Jiles, but is he considering us? I haven't heard much saying that we had a good chance. I think Jiles is on another level than Webb, but Webb is still a quality BCS recruit. As previously stated, I think the biggest reason he doesn't have a lot of offers is because of eligibility issues. It's been a while since MN has produced a quality DB. Last one that comes to mind is John Shevlin...Corey Frazier was also good.

Tyreece Jiles- http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Tyreece-Jiles-124139
Charles Webb- http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Charles-Webb-117884

I thought Webb was going to be a high qaulity BCS level recruit as well, before the rankings started coming out. He is ranked 5.3 by rivals, which does not take into account his academic stature. That does not scream elite talent to me. Of course that is just a ranking by a recruiting service, but the other services are about on par with rivals, too. He is not a must get IMO. I talked about this in a previous thread and i know how important it is to keep home grown talent in state, but DB's from states like Cali and Florida who are merely average are leaps and bounds better than what we can produce here.

Personally, James Farrow was an elite talent in comparison to Webb and he came out just last year. And we know what happened with that situation- Brewster F'd us over and completely dropped the ball, though the reason is debated. Academics can be ruled out because he clearly was able to get into Virginia Tech. Now he was a rarity for this state in terms of DB talent.

Woah my bad guys totally forgot about those 2! Although Farrow has yet to really play for VT.

I thought Webb was going to be a high qaulity BCS level recruit as well, before the rankings started coming out. He is ranked 5.3 by rivals, which does not take into account his academic stature. That does not scream elite talent to me. Of course that is just a ranking by a recruiting service, but the other services are about on par with rivals, too. He is not a must get IMO. I talked about this in a previous thread and i know how important it is to keep home grown talent in state, but DB's from states like Cali and Florida who are merely average are leaps and bounds better than what we can produce here.

Personally, James Farrow was an elite talent in comparison to Webb and he came out just last year. And we know what happened with that situation- Brewster F'd us over and completely dropped the ball, though the reason is debated. Academics can be ruled out because he clearly was able to get into Virginia Tech. Now he was a rarity for this state in terms of DB talent.

You're right, he's not a must get, but I think he's at least the caliber of Eric Murray. And, I'm guessing one reason why he might be ranked low on Rivals is, because he doesn't have any offers (which rumor is because of his academics, not his talent). Also, I believe Rivals doesn't have a Midwest Recruiting guy so they might not be in the know about that kind of stuff.

Top Bottom