Harbaugh Unrealistic?

My point is JH is not leaving all the good that is Stanford to take over and rebuild a last place Minnesota team. How did all those good facilities work out for Punky? He really brought in top of line recruits. And teams who fire their coaches don't land top list coaches unless they are Alabama and you guys are no Alabama. I never said no one will ever come there but I just don't think its going to be an A list guy.

Sorry, but a "Miami" fan who claims to have come on here "innocently" wanting only to "have some good debate" would never come on here and call Tim Brewster by the name of Punky. What good could come of that if all you were doing is looking for some "good debate." You're simply busted. So, seriously, which is it? Iowa or Wisconsin? For claiming we're all missing the point, you sure have an honesty problem. Are you ashamed to be a fan of either program? Why not just admit it instead of playing some silly facade?? Unless of course you have the mentality of a 13-year old school boy. Which maybe you do.

Sorry, but a "Miami" fan who claims to have come on here "innocently" wanting only to "have some good debate" would never come on here and call Tim Brewster by the name of Punky. What good could come of that if all you were doing is looking for some "good debate." You're simply busted. So, seriously, which is it? Iowa or Wisconsin? For claiming we're all missing the point, you sure have an honesty problem. Are you ashamed to be a fan of either program? Why not just admit it instead of playing some silly facade?? Unless of course you have the mentality of a 13-year old school boy. Which maybe you do.

Busted for what?

Busted for what?

For having a larger stake in this discussion than some "innocent" bystander Miami fan. If you were just interested in looking for debate, you'd be wise to leave out the Punky references and telling us how the half-full stadium looked, etc. Those slams can come from either Iowa or Wisconsin fans normally. They understand the rivalry and the language that is used. Miami fans?? I doubt true Miami fans would waste their time picking fights here. So, for the fifth time, I ask - Iowa or Wisconsin? Which is it?

My point is JH is not leaving all the good that is Stanford to take over and rebuild a last place Minnesota team. How did all those good facilities work out for Punky? He really brought in top of line recruits. And teams who fire their coaches don't land top list coaches unless they are Alabama and you guys are no Alabama. I never said no one will ever come there but I just don't think its going to be an A list guy.

You would have been a lot better recieved if you could have avoided smack talk. Smack talk isn't going to be well recieved on anyone's boards. The facilities are in fact a plus. That Brewster didn't work out here doesn't have anything to do with it. And teams that fire their coaches do often wind up hiring some pretty good coaches. Since you are obviously here just to talk smack, I doubt your honesty as well as your ability to make an assessment.

Off the top of my head coaching jobs that might open up. Michigan, Illinois, Penn State, Indiana, Colorado, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Maryland, North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, UCLA, ASU, and Cal. Its not like you will have your pick of anyone.

It is funny that a Miami fan would know the "Punky" smack. I tend to think of that as coming from the Dakotas, but I guess it also came from Wisconsin and Miami. One of the rules of the internet is that you can go to some other school's message board and have a discussion or talk smack, but you cannot do both.

I live in Winona!!!!!!!!!! And have been here before and read what other fans have wrote.

Its not me who has the hard time staying on topic. I gave a list of reasons why JH would not come here but those posts get ignored.

It is funny that a Miami fan would know the "Punky" smack. I tend to think of that as coming from the Dakotas, but I guess it also came from Wisconsin and Miami. One of the rules of the internet is that you can go to some other school's message board and have a discussion or talk smack, but you cannot do both.

Fine if facilities mean so much more than location then why is Minnesota 1-7 and Stanford 6-1?

Fine if facilities mean so much more than location then why is Minnesota 1-7 and Stanford 6-1?

That makes my brain hurt. I never said that facilities meant more than location. You, however, said that facilities were insignificant. Neither location nor facilities win football games. However, both facilities and location are factors that matter when it comes to coaches and recruits. Why is Minnesota 1-7? Because the wrong choice was made in hiring the coach, that's why.

That makes my brain hurt. I never said that facilities meant more than location. You, however, said that facilities were insignificant. Neither location nor facilities win football games. However, both facilities and location are factors that matter when it comes to coaches and recruits. Why is Minnesota 1-7? Because the wrong choice was made in hiring the coach, that's why.

I was told in this thread that location had no meaning. It was not by you. Well seeing as how you hired the wrong guy before what makes you think the right will 1. want the job? 2. get hired? Same AD right? Really think they are going to spend 2.5-3 million on a coach?

I was told in this thread that location had no meaning. It was not by you.

What was said was that the Florida job was much more desirable than the Hawaii job, despite Hawaii having a better location. If location meant as much as you seem to think, surely Hawaii would be the most desirable job in the country.

Well seeing as how you hired the wrong guy before what makes you think the right will 1. want the job? 2. get hired? Same AD right? Really think they are going to spend 2.5-3 million on a coach?

Your conclusions don't follow. That we hired the wrong coach doesn't in any way imply that the right coach couldn't take the job. We passed over some good coaches to hire Brewster. That indicates that we can in fact attract good coaches.

The faculty doesn't control however what the many millionaire and in some case billionaire boosters choose to contribute to the football program to ensure they keep Harbaugh.

No offense, but that's not how Stanford operates. Having grown up in Northern California and having a half dozen friends that attended Stanford, I have a good feeling for how the coaches are paid. I can tell you that most of my Stanford buddies EXPECT Harbaugh to leave at some point because the school will NEVER pay them market rates.

Here is a link to a story a few years ago.. it contains old data but relevent insight into the mindset at Stanford.

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2008/05/22/faculty-salaries-differ-by-speciality-tenure/

A good quote from this story tells a lot

This is the result of a long-standing unofficial Stanford policy of keeping coaches off the list of the University’s highest paid employees.

“Our institution has adopted a philosophy of not having our coaches be among the highest paid employees at the University,” Athletic Director Bob Bowlsby told The Daily last month

Now sure, if Stanford wins a National Title, perhaps the powers that be will feel pressure to keep him by paying more than they are comfortable, but I doubt it. Stanford is not about football, regardless of what sports fans think.

I was wrong, wasnt the first and won't be the last. Also never thought Texas would talk to the PAC 10 which lead to the instability and for Nebraska to look elsewhere, I am sure you knew however before Osborne even did.

Yes. I was absolutely aware of the instability of the Big 12 on the day you made your statement. But I was certainly not alone. Basically, anyone who bothered to look into it understood that the way the conference operated was not sustainable. And we didn't even have all of the fact available to us (facts that, I doubt, would have painted a more auspicious picture of the Big 12's stability).

The Mizzou president made the mistake of publicly acknowledging what anyone who was paying attention should have already known. But do you really think this was news to Osborne? If so, why?

The "perception is reality" crowd was very offended by Missouri's flirtations with the Big Ten. But those who are more concerned with actual reality knew that any member of the Big 12 North, if invited, would have left for the Big Ten in a heartbeat. It has been that way forever, and it is even more true in 2010 than it was in 1990.

• People take way too much stock in the things that those in leadership roles have to say while on the record (and, in turn, discount the things that they can not say, but are obviously true.
  • People also take into account that which is happening right now way too seriously. But leaders know better.

This is relevant to the issue of Harbaugh as a potential HC candidate at Minnesota because there are a lot of excellent reasons why he would be interested. Harbaugh probably will not end up as the guy who is the next HC. But people who think it is some crazy idea, and that he isn't going to at least discuss the possibility with the U, just don't understand the rules of this game.

Top Bottom