Greetings from Saint Joseph's

JoeCabrey

Reaction score
The Hawks are struggling through a losing streak right now and had their best overall effort in a close loss to #3 ranked Villanova in the game known in Philadelphia as the "Holy War" between two long term Big 5 rivals.

We have two freshman guards that are very quick and fun to watch as they get more time and the greatest weaknesses have been rebounding, overall interior defense, and too frequently rotating late on jump switches. With the exception of defeating Boston College at the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas SJU has played better in Philadelphia either on campus at Hagan Arena or the Wednesday night game at The Palestra.

We look forward to the chance to compete with the Golden Gophers and one of the game's best coaches in Tubby Smith.

We also enjoy good natured pre-game banter with opposing fans and especially appreciate insights and discussions with teams that are not always on our schedule to learn more about your squad. Please visit us at http://www.hawkhoopclub.proboards.com/

Thanks for stopping by JoeCabrey - St. Joe's is our best home non-conference game so us Gopher fans are really looking forward to tomorrow. I was impressed with your squad against 'Nova, although it's the only game I've seen you guys play this year.

What are some of your squad's strengths and weaknesses? Do you have a strong front court?

Good luck tomorrow - it should be a good game.

Go Gophers!!

To echo Bleed, welcome to the board Joe, it's always nice to hear from fans of other schools who come in peace and goodwill :).

I'm interested in the same questions that Bleed has and also wanted to let you know that the St. Joe's team with Jameer Nelson/Delonte West was one of my favorite non-Gopher teams of the past decade. You guys lost a heartbreaker to Oklahoma St., but what a year and I felt your guys really quieted the critics with their post-season run.

Always fun to see two of the all time great college coaches going head to head. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Rebounding is clearly an issue with our squad as well. Other teams have also defended our free throws very effectively. I hope to see an improvement on these two fronts soon. Any chance that we play you guys (the return game) at The Palestra, or will it be in your gym?

Sounds like they could use a visit from Dr. Tom Amberry. I saw him do a clinic once and he was amazing. http://www.freethrow.com/

I don't know the venue but The Palestra could be a possibility. In the past before remodeling Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse into what is now the Michael J. Hagan Arena besides our Big 5 games which are traditionally Palestra games for the Hawks we have moved games with teams like Ohio State and Penn State to the Palestra to accomodate a larger crowd.

Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse was buillt in 1949 when at the time Saint Joseph's College had less than 1100 undergraduates and the seating capacity was 3200. Now with 4500 undergraduates the seating has been expanded to 4200 with the majority of the new seats going to the students.

Even with the expansion though only those who win a lottery get into the games on campus where The Palestra accomodates over 8700 people, down from the 9200+ before some chairbacks replaced some of the bleacher seats.

Any chance that we play you guys (the return game) at The Palestra, or will it be in your gym?

Has a return game been confirmed? If so, is the agreement 1-for-1 or is it a 2-for-1? I'd like to see more of the mid-major teams on our schedule, but was under the impression that home and home arrangements aren't always required unless you're one of the "bigs" (i.e. BCS school).

Has a return game been confirmed? If so, is the agreement 1-for-1 or is it a 2-for-1? I'd like to see more of the mid-major teams on our schedule, but was under the impression that home and home arrangements aren't always required unless you're one of the "bigs" (i.e. BCS school).

Tubby and Coach Martelli are good friends. I'd expect a return game in Philadelphia sometime.

Top Bottom