Great video interview: Willie Burton reflects on legendary career ahead of weekend tribute

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

This Sunday afternoon. Gophers men’s basketball returns to FOX 9 with Minnesota hosting Michigan State and at halftime, a special tribute.

One of the greatest players in Gophers basketball history will find his name among the legends of Williams Arena. Willie Burton will be on hand to watch as his jersey is retired.

Go Gophers!!

Willie has not aged...at all. Looks identical to 1990 Willie.

Heard him on Barriero, they talked about the Final 8 loss to Georgia Tech and how they got completely jobbed by what sounded like an ACC officiating crew. Willie scored 35 with no free throws. GT had 33 Ft to our 11. They changed the rule on having a teams's conference officials doing an NCAA game. He said coaches were irate and throwing shit around locker room for 20 minutes before addressing the team.

Heard him on Barriero, they talked about the Final 8 loss to Georgia Tech and how they got completely jobbed by what sounded like an ACC officiating crew. Willie scored 35 with no free throws. GT had 33 Ft to our 11. They changed the rule on having a teams's conference officials doing an NCAA game. He said coaches were irate and throwing shit around locker room for 20 minutes before addressing the team.
I remember watching that as clear as a bell. And yes, anyone who remembers knows full well the Gophers should have moved on. Jobbed is an understatement.

Except those on the hole that cant be honest about officiating.

I remember watching that as clear as a bell. And yes, anyone who remembers knows full well the Gophers should have moved on. Jobbed is an understatement.

Except those on the hole that cant be honest about officiating.

It's one of the first college basketball games that I remember because I had never in my life heard my father blame the refs or anything like that, but I remember him being mad about the game.

Class act. One of my regrets is allowing the T-Shirt with Goldy in the broken nose mask to drift into a garage sale. That would be classic now.

PP: Gophers great Willie Burton looks back at stellar career, Clem Haskins’ many rules before jersey retirement

That brings us to Clem Haskins, whom Burton doesn’t mention in that laundry list, but is vital to Burton’s success. Burton said he had to convince his former coach, who left amid the program’s academic scandal in 1997, to come back this weekend.

Burton played in 118 of 119 games at Minnesota, but the one he missed wasn’t because of injury.

“That’s because I missed one class. One,” Burton said. “I was talking to everybody, they made that the Willie Burton Graduate Memorial Track above the arena for running.”

Burton releases a hearty laugh.

“There were punishments for a number of different things that he didn’t want you to do or be somewhat late or not 15 minutes early,” Burton continued. “Man, let me tell you something. He had a lot of rules.”

That deep laugh soon returns.

“Clean-shaven face, (necktie), hair is cut neat,” Burton said. “A lot of rules.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom