Gray's injury? Gray's knee OK, but ankle will sideline him awhile

Fair enough, I don't know if it's as obvious that Max should be starter because he's a better thrower, but I can easily understand that position. I just like Gray's dual threat abilities, but if either the coaches aren't comfortable enough to use them (let him throw more often), or he just flat out won't throw it (pass called, but pulls it down to often) then it's not gonna help us anyway. I just have a concern that once things tighten up, those throwing opportunities won't be as open and having Gray's ability to move around will be of great value.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed here is how much of mg's not throwing is because of his 'reads'. I don't have any knowledge of the options of this offense.

Could it be he is making poor reads and/or is just more comfortable running?

Kirkwood also had 6.2 a pop against UNLV, you can take different segments of plenty of games and pull out good numbers I'm sure. But, I think the key of that is, against UNLV, Gray threw 30 times. I don't think it matters who the QB is, they gotta throw more. Even with his misses, Gray was 17/30 and then 6/8. And only one pick. I don't think the coaches are not throwing because they don't think Gray can do it. I think they're just being a tad stubborn about getting this run game going. But when Max came in, they had no choice but to get some throws up, cause that's his strength. You can't ground and pound with a guy like Max. It so happened, against WMU, it provided an excellent spark. Hopefully he can continue that against Syracuse and beyond.

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what they did in the second half against WMU. Ground and pound.

I am absolutely bewildered at the people who think the running game will be significantly worse with Shortell at QB. From the QB position? Yes, the QB will run for fewer yards. But offensively, I don't care WHO is gaining the yards on the ground.

The Gophers rushed for more yards against WMU with Shortell at QB than they did with Gray. Why? Because they actually had to respect the threat of the forward pass. The linebackers line up just a step or two deeper away from the LOS, the safeties don't RACE towards the LOS at the snap of the ball; it all makes a difference.

I'm interested in production. Period. Gray had 5 series against WMU; 4 of them went for 4 plays or less (yes, one was the 8 yard TD drive)

Shortell had 7 series of action against WMU and had ONE 3-and-out, with none of the other drives going less than 26 yards and 4 of them going for longer than 40 yards.

IF the Gophers had passed for 200 yards against WMU and rushed for 18, I would see the argument. That's not the case. I prefer an offense that's not one-dimensional. That's just me....

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what they did in the second half against WMU. Ground and pound.

I am absolutely bewildered at the people who think the running game will be significantly worse with Shortell at QB. From the QB position? Yes, the QB will run for fewer yards. But offensively, I don't care WHO is gaining the yards on the ground.

The Gophers rushed for more yards against WMU with Shortell at QB than they did with Gray. Why? Because they actually had to respect the threat of the forward pass. The linebackers line up just a step or two deeper away from the LOS, the safeties don't RACE towards the LOS at the snap of the ball; it all makes a difference.

I'm interested in production. Period. Gray had 5 series against WMU; 4 of them went for 4 plays or less (yes, one was the 8 yard TD drive)

Shortell had 7 series of action against WMU and had ONE 3-and-out, with none of the other drives going less than 26 yards and 4 of them going for longer than 40 yards.

IF the Gophers had passed for 200 yards against WMU and rushed for 18, I would see the argument. That's not the case. I prefer an offense that's not one-dimensional. That's just me....

and me

I think you missed what I was getting at there. We're not really disagreeing here. It's not that I think the offense can't run the ball with Max, it was just, you can operate the same with him as you do with Gray. They aren't gonna run nearly as often with Max, for simple reason, Max can't run it 20 times like Gray, that's just not effective at all. Max has to throw it, that's his strength. But at the same time, even if Gray was still in there, they needed to throw the ball more often. If Gray is the reason they either can't or won't throw more often, then perhaps there's something to be said for Max getting the nod. But I don't think Gray is incapable of throwing the ball, hence why I speculate there's some stubbornness there on the part of the coaches not throwing much with Gray. But with Max, that's just not going to happen, cause he has to throw the ball to be effective.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed here is how much of mg's not throwing is because of his 'reads'. I don't have any knowledge of the options of this offense.

Could it be he is making poor reads and/or is just more comfortable running?

That's a question I have as well. It seems he pulls down more frequently than I would think necessary. But not knowing the calls and all that, I can only guess.

I think the real disappointment I have out of all this is Dexter Foreman. I would have expected him to be third string for a game or less, then a battle between him, Nelson or Leidner to be third string for more than a game. Kind of sad that he hasn't developed enough to be on the main roster or be mentioned for third string. Have to wonder if he'll be around next year or if he'll transfer out.

I trust that the coaches will have an alternative for the helmet came off, shoe is untied, too much Old Milwaukee last night and have to run to the bathroom type back-up. It would be stunning if they blew Nelson's redshirt for something that silly. If nothing else I believe they can either take a time-out or line up and false start and bring Shortell back in.

The other question becomes whether they named Nelson third string because he's the third best QB or because they see more upside with Leidner and are more concerned with keeping his redshirt. I would think that as true freshmen they can't really determine the latter with certainty, but one never knows.

Top Bottom