Gray to Be Scout QB for U Practices

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per David Shama:

Gray to Be Scout QB for U Practices

MarQueis Gray will emulate Air Force quarterback Tim Jefferson in practice this week as the Gophers prepare for the academy’s much publicized triple option offense that produced the largest victory margin in school history last Saturday in a 72-0 Falcons win.

Minnesota coach Tim Brewster told Sports Headliners he will use Gray, the Gophers’ much publicized second team quarterback, to give his defense a feel for the run- oriented Air Force offense. Jefferson completed five of seven passes for one touchdown against hapless Nicholls State but, as usual, it was the Air Force ground game that dazzled with the Falcons running for 474 yards while producing 576 yards in total offense.

Brewster said Gray won’t be tackled in practice this week but his athleticism figures to help the Gophers prepare for the unorthodox Air Force offense that features multiple runners and option decisions by the quarterback. The Gophers play their first game ever in TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday with kickoff at 6 p.m.

Gray, a freshman, was rated among the best dual threat quarterbacks in the country coming out of high school. He played briefly last Saturday in the Gophers 23-20 overtime win at Syracuse, but didn’t attempt a pass or run.

Gray will play more in future games, giving the Gophers another playmaker along with quarterback Adam Weber, and wide receivers Eric Decker and Troy Stoudermire. Brewster expects his offense, which struggled last Saturday with penalties and passing miscues, to play better against Air Force.

Brewster said a huge storyline coming out of the overtime win was the psychological element and the Gophers writing an ending to their liking in a raucous environment that forced Minnesota into mistakes. “Syracuse had its first sellout in 10 years and the crowd was tremendous,” Brewster said.

The Gophers won their first road opener in 20 years against a BCS school by keeping their poise in the Carrier Dome against a Syracuse team that was trying to win a first game for new coach Doug Marrone and home town quarterback Greg Paulus who was making his college football debut. The Orange led 20-14 at halftime after the Gophers struggled on offense and defense in the first half. “I told them at half time there was no reason to flinch,” Brewster said. “There was a tremendous calmness among our players and coaches.”

Past Minnesota teams sometimes seemed to have a “woe is me” and the “sky is falling” attitude facing such adversity but Brewster said the Gophers made a statement on Saturday. “This team found a way to win it with its chemistry and belief,” Brewster said. “There’s been a hope for the best and expect the worst (approach in the past). It felt good how we responded.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

"Past Minnesota teams sometimes seemed to have a “woe is me” and the “sky is falling” attitude facing such adversity...."

Hey, just like a bunch of posters on this board! :rolleyes:

I just posted this, but it disappeared. I hope I didn't offend anyone on the GH staff by posting this because I'm sure they'd all do better on the radio than the current bunch of yahoos:

Great write up by Shama. Can we get this guy a radio gig?

Good stuff. I expected that it would be Pittman or even Bryant Allen acting as the AFA QB in practice but Gray should give a good look to the defense.

Almost 500 yards rushing? Who did the other team have on the field? I hope Minn makes the academy throw the football. Simmons will lock down the go to guy on the outside, but Air Force will get their yards on the ground. Let them have it - the offense will shine, and i'm predicting the special teams comes out shining in the home opener.

Nichols State is a small state school in Thibodaux, Louisiana. Not much of an opponent for Air Force.

Good. Maybe this will help us install that nifty little speed-option package we had with AAK.

Let's hope we get similar 'homer' officiating that Syracuse received from the officials.

Top Bottom