Governor Pawlenty On Beer Sales at TCF on WCCO

Can someone explain to me why they don't just offer beer in the whole stadium, but charge like $20 for it? If they really want to give premium seatholders their booze and restrict unruly drinking in the cheap seats, this seems like a good compromise, and a way around what the legislature is attempting.

They'd be the only school in the Big Ten to do it. They'd still be selling beer in the proximity of college students (yeah, yeah....we know). They'd still face increased liability.

The prez got push back from the Regents and also advice from his peers around the conference.

Huge revenue hit.

Since they can't serve or sell beer, I wonder if they could get around it by saying BYOB for people in the premium seats? And limit that to only the premium seats.

Quote: Brilliant job, Legislature/T-Paw/those who supported this law (you know who you are). By using your "it's only fair" logic in passing this law, you've undercut the ability of the athletic department to support itself without state funds. Nice work.

I have yet to see the first post in GopherHole complaining that state funding to the U will be cut by $94.9 million over the next two years. Included among the cuts will be the loss of 1,200 employees. The estimated revenue loss at Gopher stadium because of the beer issue pales in comparison to the state funding cuts. Let's face it. In the the grand scheme of things the beer issue is not really a significant revenue issue.

Quote: Brilliant job, Legislature/T-Paw/those who supported this law (you know who you are). By using your "it's only fair" logic in passing this law, you've undercut the ability of the athletic department to support itself without state funds. Nice work.

I have yet to see the first post in GopherHole complaining that state funding to the U will be cut by $94.9 million over the next two years. Included among the cuts will be the loss of 1,200 employees. The estimated revenue loss at Gopher stadium because of the beer issue pales in comparison to the state funding cuts. Let's face it. In the the grand scheme of things, the beer issue is not really a significant revenue issue.

please learn how to use the "quote" function you dolt. oh so now your little crusade for the "common man" has moved from "beer for all or beer for none" to being the champion of MnSCU funding?!?! pick an issue and stay with it.

the logic in your argument as usual makes absolutely no sense. the alcohol sales at gopher athletic events doesn't go into the university general fund......it goes back into the athletic department which in turn supports all of the men's & women's teams out there. trying to compare the two as coming from the same place is stupid logic as usual.

you have to look at how the lack of alcohol sales in premium seating areas impacts the athletic dept only. so in the grand scheme of things.....YES it is a significant revenue issue that you and your ilk have now created for gopher athletics because you can't stop drinking for a few hours after tailgaiting all day and can't stand the idea of someone who was WILLING TO PAY $50K for a suite having a beer while you can not.

are you always such a stubborn tool bag who refuses to see an issue for what it really is?!

The estimated revenue loss at Gopher stadium because of the beer issue pales in comparison to the state funding cuts.

No it doesn't.....not when it comes to the athletic department's budget. The money they receive from the U and the state has been steadily declining every year and the Gophers have made that up with other revenue....alcohol was a part of that....suites, clubs, etc., are a part of that. Now they'll take a big hit at a point when they've amazingly been able to break even the past 4-5 years.

I hope the food is amazing in the club rooms at Mariucci and Williams....otherwise, why go?

Last night, Mike Max said $2.9 million per year in lost revenue overall. I thought the stadium was going to bring in an additional 3 million or so per year in additional revenue.....not positive on that figure.

Wow.

please learn how to use the "quote" function you dolt. oh so now your little crusade for the "common man" has moved from "beer for all or beer for none" to being the champion of MnSCU funding?!?! pick an issue and stay with it.

the logic in your argument as usual makes absolutely no sense. the alcohol sales at gopher athletic events doesn't go into the university general fund......it goes back into the athletic department which in turn supports all of the men's & women's teams out there. trying to compare the two as coming from the same place is stupid logic as usual.

you have to look at how the lack of alcohol sales in premium seating areas impacts the athletic dept only. so in the grand scheme of things.....YES it is a significant revenue issue that you and your ilk have now created for gopher athletics because you can't stop drinking for a few hours after tailgaiting all day and can't stand the idea of someone who was WILLING TO PAY $50K for a suite having a beer while you can not.

are you always such a stubborn tool bag who refuses to see an issue for what it really is?!

I think you might want to settle down, man. It wasn't like he was insulting your momma.

YES it is a significant revenue issue that you and your ilk have now created for gopher athletics because you can't stop drinking for a few hours after tailgaiting all day and can't stand the idea of someone who was WILLING TO PAY $50K for a suite having a beer while you can not.
Don't throw all of us pro-beer supporters into one pool. I'm fine with the suites being allowed beer while I'm not if that's what the U decided to do but now that choice isn't possible. If the U doesn't want to sell me $15 in beer per game, I'm happy to bring a flask. Fans will drink either way.

No it doesn't.....not when it comes to the athletic department's budget. The money they receive from the U and the state has been steadily declining every year and the Gophers have made that up with other revenue....alcohol was a part of that....suites, clubs, etc., are a part of that. Now they'll take a big hit at a point when they've amazingly been able to break even the past 4-5 years.

I hope the food is amazing in the club rooms at Mariucci and Williams....otherwise, why go?

why go to the games or why go to the club rooms? i hope you are just referring to the club room levels at mariucci and williams.

something tells me that this stupid little law that was passed this year just may be "modified" in the next couple years once they see the absolutely negative impact it will have on the athletic department's budget and debt service obligations. i don't see the U of M regents changing their mind and allowing alcohol sales to general admission - read: students.

I think you might want to settle down, man. It wasn't like he was insulting your momma.

i see you are only 4 posts into life on the gopherhole, so therefore you have absolutely no clue how big of a dolt upnorthgo4 has been regarding this issue. thanks for playing though! next.......

Try to have more class and less assumptions.

i see you are only 4 posts into life on the gopherhole, so therefore you have absolutely no clue how big of a dolt upnorthgo4 has been regarding this issue. thanks for playing though! next.......

Just because I've only posted four times doesn't mean I haven't been reading, asshole.

well, i guess it takes one asshole to know when they see another one! :)

Just try to be a little more reserved with the personal attacks, ok? That way this board can be more enjoyable for all of us. By the way, this post now puts my total to six :)

Didn't read through all 7 pages (kind of stopped reading after it got all political), but here's what I think they should do: No alcohol served/sold at all in the stadium. Set up a private alcohol tent accesible by only the private seat holders throughout game day (maybe in one of the tailgate lots). Allow the private seat holders unlimited access to drinks and be able to bring their drinks back in with them to their seats/suite. This would not only be in line with the no sales and no service law but also the alcohol part of the private seat agreement.

While it would be a lot of walking back and forth to get drinks, it would meet the needs of those that go to the games to get drunk while also meeting the needs of those that just want something to sip on while watching the game.

Top Bottom