Gophs in 10 least aggressive on 4th down

swingman

Reaction score

Connelly "normal circumstances" is 1-3 yds to go, <60 yds from TD, 20-80% in-game win probability.

Minnesota went for it 14.5% (122nd out of 135) on any 4th down.

Minnesota went for it 22.2% (125th out of 135) on "normal circumstances."

I don’t have many complaints about PJ but I’ve always felt like he likes punting way too much. Guess this kind of confirms my thinking.

He notes some good teams rarely see 4th downs or have big leads that don't warrant the risk.
That’s true of everything though. Some bad teams always see 4th down and want to punt to lose by less.

It’s funny when people try to publish a statistic but then give non statistical analysis to make it a bigger deal.
“Ignore the parts of the stat that don’t fit my narrative for the following reasons”

Minnesota went for it 14.5% (122nd out of 135) on any 4th down.

Minnesota went for it 22.2% (125th out of 135) on "normal circumstances."
So if PJ doesn't shit the bed with the call against Purdue, sticking with his usual strategy, maybe we go to the Big 10 Championship game last year?

So if PJ doesn't shit the bed with the call against Purdue, sticking with his usual strategy, maybe we go to the Big 10 Championship game last year?
Purdue Yes, I get way more upset with PJ for his odd gambles than his conservative game plans.

After 2019, coaches trusted Tanner less and less with throwing it. Going back with the original topic, if it were anything over 4th and 1, you either have to throw or potentially put Tanner on the move - not his forte. Reading the stats, I dont think we can be surprised. It's a sign of the lack of athleticism behind center.

certainly felt like once we lost Seth Green we never had as good results going for those 4th and shorts, and it became too much of a risk. Kramer has gone in for Wildcats, with more of a threat to throw, but lacks the physicality that Green had.
Would love to get back to that GreenLine style of short yardage dominance we had back in 2019.

Top Bottom