Gophers Will Be Bowling in 2011-12

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
That's my prediction. I just got done looking at the current roster and I like this teams depth at pretty much every position besides WR. I know people will say that our OL and WR depth is thin, and its true, but at WR we have both TE's coming back AND McKnight our best WR.

Offense:
Gray
Bennett/Eskridge
McKnight
Green
Lair/Eure
Olson
Bunders
Orton
Michels/Campion/Gjere?
Wynn

Defense:
Wilhite
Jacobs
Kirksey
Mcghee/Garin
Rallis
Tinsley
Cooper
Carter/Vereen
Stoudamire/Henderson
Royston
Manuel/Lewis

Great post. Nice to see some optimism on this board. You agree pretty much with what I've been saying about 2011 and 2012, although some think it is way too early to be talking about the actual seasons when we still have the 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes to analyze.

Great post. Nice to see some optimism on this board. You agree pretty much with what I've been saying about 2011 and 2012, although some think it is way too early to be talking about the actual seasons when we still have the 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes to analyze.

I am starting to see why you are so lonely. You are completely missing the point.

The 2012 team is almost entirely made up of unknowns. I like some of younger players but if you want me to pretend that I know what Josh Tauaefa and R. Hageman are going to play like at DT, you're crazy. I don't see why that point is lost on you.

Break it down for me, break down what and WHY you expect certain things from players, i'd love to hear it. I'm sure this will turn into nothing but you crying again on here, but i'd love for you to just break down our different positions and tell me what your base your guesses on.

:horse:

To the original post, as to not let this cry baby hijack another thread, I don't think us winning enough games to go to a bowl game is impossible next season. In my opinion, a gigantic part of our guesses has to be if the players who are on academic lockdown actually remain eligible.

If we have all of these players available:
Stoudermire
Brandon Green
Eric Lair

I'm so confused, that I'm baffled. It seems that "negativity" means "you disagree with me," or "people call me names," or "why do people hate me" or something. I hate the fact that I ignore listed this guy and you folks keep quoting him in your responses. I guess you have to take the bad with the good.

That said, trying to predict this season is tough without knowing who will still be on the team come fall. Let's start the predictions for 2011 in August, the predictions for 2012 in August 2012, etc.

I agree. I think Coach Kill will take the lads on a team building outing to the Park Tavern. Come to think of it, Memory Lanes is probably the closest bowling alley to campus.

I agree. I think Coach Kill will take the lads on a team building outing to the Park Tavern. Come to think of it, Memory Lanes is probably the closest bowling alley to campus.

There's a bowling alley on campus.

Someone who went here would know that. Oops.

There's a bowling alley on campus.

Someone who went here would know that. Oops.

Good catch!

Out of curiosity -- I put the U of M into Google Maps, and then typed in "bowling alley". Sure enough, Memory Lanes was the first one that popped up.

Now, I remember Memory Lanes because our school bus used to pass it all the time in elementary school. Sometimes I think Art is just a sophisticated, mildly clever version of Pantherhawk.

Good catch!

Out of curiosity -- I put the U of M into Google Maps, and then typed in "bowling alley". Sure enough, Memory Lanes was the first one that popped up.

Now, I remember Memory Lanes because our school bus used to pass it all the time in elementary school. Sometimes I think Art is just a sophisticated, mildly clever version of Pantherhawk.

Your bus never passed Memory Lanes because back then it was called Stardust Lanes.

Nice attempt at spinnning this one m'boy :cool02:

Your bus never passed Memory Lanes because back then it was called Stardust Lanes.

Nice attempt at spinnning this one m'boy :cool02:

You're right! You got me there.

I think it turned into a Memory Lanes in when I was in middle school or high school? When was it, O sage?

Plus the bowling alley at Coffman Union...

1. I'm lonely because I've been a Gopher fan living in Iowa amid Hawkeye fans for almost forty years. I have a beautiful wife, two wonderful daughters, tons of friends, an extended family in Minnesota and a home town along the North Shore of Lake Superior. It doesn't worry too much what the negative posters here have to say about much of anything.

2. I thought if I shared my enthusiasm for the new Minnesota coaching staff at a pro-Gopher web site, I might find some supporters who are positive about Minnesota football. My mistake. The Gopherhole is undoubtedly one of the very few (if not the only) college sports web site where posters have little or nothing good to say about their own football program.

3. I have said that I think Minnesota will win at least six games next year. Most people who have read that comment here have attacked me for daring to say it. Why? Few have offered their own opinions about Gopher football prospects for next year. Some have done a wonderful job of outlining their thoughts.

4. As I have stated repeatedly, I think the Gophers will be much better on defense next year because Brewster did a better job of recruiting than Mason and put more of his best talent on the defensive side of the ball. The very young 2010 defense will also be a year older and will be better coached.

5. On offense, the line is young but pretty talented. MG is inexperienced but so too will be about half of all Big 10 quaterbacks. The receiving corps is thin but has a great wide-out and a very talented tight end. The running back stable is not outstanding but is experienced and dependable. The offense, too, will be much better coached next year.

6. Special teams will be much better next year. This is an area where Kill coached teams really thrive and Brewster left Minnesota with enough talent to man the positions on the various special team units.

7. The Big 10 is not that great a football conference. It has gotten murdered in bowl games in recent years. Several programs other than Minnestoa (e.g., Indiana and Michigan) have been in disarray. Others (e.g., Northwestern and Illinois) cannot play defense. Some (e.g., Iowa and Wisconsin) have lost a ton of talent. Others (e.g., Nebraska) are over-rated.

8. Now rather than continue to attack me, would someone please answer my question: Why can't Minnesota win six games next year?

1. I'm lonely because I've been a Gopher fan living in Iowa amid Hawkeye fans for almost forty years. I have a beautiful wife, two wonderful daughters, tons of friends, an extended family in Minnesota and a home town along the North Shore of Lake Superior. It doesn't worry too much what the negative posters here have to say about much of anything.

2. I thought if I shared my enthusiasm for the new Minnesota coaching staff at a pro-Gopher web site, I might find some supporters who are positive about Minnesota football. My mistake. The Gopherhole is undoubtedly one of the very few (if not the only) college sports web site where posters have little or nothing good to say about their own football program.

3. I have said that I think Minnesota will win at least six games next year. Most people who have read that comment here have attacked me for daring to say it. Why? Few have offered their own opinions about Gopher football prospects for next year. Some have done a wonderful job of outlining their thoughts.

4. As I have stated repeatedly, I think the Gophers will be much better on defense next year because Brewster did a better job of recruiting than Mason and put more of his best talent on the defensive side of the ball. The very young 2010 defense will also be a year older and will be better coached.

5. On offense, the line is young but pretty talented. MG is inexperienced but so too will be about half of all Big 10 quaterbacks. The receiving corps is thin but has a great wide-out and a very talented tight end. The running back stable is not outstanding but is experienced and dependable. The offense, too, will be much better coached next year.

6. Special teams will be much better next year. This is an area where Kill coached teams really thrive and Brewster left Minnesota with enough talent to man the positions on the various special team units.

7. The Big 10 is not that great a football conference. It has gotten murdered in bowl games in recent years. Several programs other than Minnestoa (e.g., Indiana and Michigan) have been in disarray. Others (e.g., Northwestern and Illinois) cannot play defense. Some (e.g., Iowa and Wisconsin) have lost a ton of talent. Others (e.g., Nebraska) are over-rated.

8. Now rather than continue to attack me, would someone please answer my question: Why can't Minnesota win six games next year?

I have attacked you because you whine about getting attacked nonstop. All of our opinions get attacked. We are here to disagree and share info.

This is far from a negative board.

People were pumped up about Jerry Kill way before you came to this board, in fact, most of the people that are irked by some of your posts are his biggest supporters. You don't have a monopoly on supporting Jerry Kill.

The Gophers CAN win six games next season. They were a handful of games away from winning zero games last season and a 5 games last season. I think they will be slightly better this season, so I think they certainly COULD win 6 games. However, when you start a thread like that, you need to expect people to list the reasons why it might be tough for us to accomplish that goal.

Bob Loblaw,
You could expect people to list the reasons why they don't think the Gophers will win six games next year, but you'd be disappointed. Outside of a few people like you, most responses have exactly nothing to do with Minnesota football, let alone providing the information that you say they mostly contain and do not. Reread them if you don't believe me.

I think we can win 6 games but 5 seems more appropriate when looking at the schedule. Too many unknowns with the new coach, qb, defense, etc. That and we lost to USD last year. F'ing USD.

Expecting less wins doesn't equal less enthusiasm. It's not unreasonable for the Gophers to win 6 games next season, it's also not unreasonable to win less than 6 games. If people are still enthusiastic for the upcoming season despite not thinking the team will win 6 games, that doesn't make them less of a fan, it does the opposite.

No. You have attacked anyone who didn't think the Gophers would win 6 games. There are plenty of people who think the Gophers will win six games. They aren't being attacked. The difference is that they aren't attacking people who don't agree with them.

We aren't your trained monkeys. If you're not satisfied with responses, too bad.

I think we can win 6 games but 5 seems more appropriate when looking at the schedule. Too many unknowns with the new coach, qb, defense, etc. That and we lost to USD last year. F'ing USD.

Pointless whiney back and forth aside.
I agree with this take, 6 is very possible, but 5 is more likely.

All bets are off until we see who if anyone has failed out/transfers after spring ball.
If everyone is on board, there are still serious experience and depth issues.

QB-Gray will be a effective weapon, but probably won't mature into a passer until later in the season, see the Illini's frosh QB this past season as an example, he ran alot early and as he grew into the position he did better and was more effective passing, still Gray will be fine
Depthwise there is none, if Gray goes down we are e-screwed.

HB-Solid depth and experience, look for our O to lean heavily on this position.

WR- Mcknight and everyone else, very green and questionable. If B. Green can return to form that would be a big help.

TE/Hback- Lair will be utilized well, he can cause problems with his matchups, depthwise we have Eure, and Rabe, with several walk-ons probably seeing time.

O-Line-Biggest issue on the team, Olson is going to be good. Orton, Wynn, and Bunders are servicable, is anyone else? Alot of young and green talent, but I can see a repeat of 08' where too many injuries pile up and redshirt freshmen are pushed into starting when they really are not ready. I expect issues to be rampant early and settle out as the younger guys learn to cope with Big Ten play. USC could be ugly.

DE-Wilhite, Garin, and KGM will be more effective in the new scheme, depth and quality are still in question at this position.

DT-Kirksey, Hahn and Jacobs will be fine, youngsters need to add something or the run defense will be trouble.

LB-Alot of depth, talent, experience, and versatility. I can see this group stabilizing the D after niche roles are embraced and Claeys learns how to rotate in personnel in different down and distance scenarios

S-Royston needs to stay healthy or we'll have a repeat of early 2010 on our hands. The USD loss was IMO mostly on the poor and green safety play(angles, biting on fakes, missing tackles)

CB-I actually see this being a position that will be good, with Stoudemire and one of Carter/Vereen/Montgomery/Henderson/Bouie/C. Lewis, alot of lumps were taken last year and hopefully a few of these guys learned from them.

K-Can't be much worse than last year
P-Could be an issue if Orseske can't be coached back to '09 form
KR-best in Big Ten
PR-Someone needs to step up, maybe Marcus Jones

USC-L
NMSU-W
MIAMIOH-W
NDSU-W
MICHIGAN-L
PURDUE-W/L
NEBRASKA-L
iowee-W/L
MSU-L
wisky-L
NW-W/L
ILL-W/L

Oh, so you have to be a U of M alum to post on this board?

My bad. Didn't get the memo....

Anyone can post, that's the beauty of it. Badger fans trying to pose as gophers can post here too, but you figured that out a long time ago....

Pointless whiney back and forth aside.
I agree with this take, 6 is very possible, but 5 is more likely.

All bets are off until we see who if anyone has failed out/transfers after spring ball.
If everyone is on board, there are still serious experience and depth issues.

QB-Gray will be a effective weapon, but probably won't mature into a passer until later in the season, see the Illini's frosh QB this past season as an example, he ran alot early and as he grew into the position he did better and was more effective passing, still Gray will be fine
Depthwise there is none, if Gray goes down we are e-screwed.

HB-Solid depth and experience, look for our O to lean heavily on this position.

WR- Mcknight and everyone else, very green and questionable. If B. Green can return to form that would be a big help.

TE/Hback- Lair will be utilized well, he can cause problems with his matchups, depthwise we have Eure, and Rabe, with several walk-ons probably seeing time.

O-Line-Biggest issue on the team, Olson is going to be good. Orton, Wynn, and Bunders are servicable, is anyone else? Alot of young and green talent, but I can see a repeat of 08' where too many injuries pile up and redshirt freshmen are pushed into starting when they really are not ready. I expect issues to be rampant early and settle out as the younger guys learn to cope with Big Ten play. USC could be ugly.

DE-Wilhite, Garin, and KGM will be more effective in the new scheme, depth and quality are still in question at this position.

DT-Kirksey, Hahn and Jacobs will be fine, youngsters need to add something or the run defense will be trouble.

LB-Alot of depth, talent, experience, and versatility. I can see this group stabilizing the D after niche roles are embraced and Claeys learns how to rotate in personnel in different down and distance scenarios

S-Royston needs to stay healthy or we'll have a repeat of early 2010 on our hands. The USD loss was IMO mostly on the poor and green safety play(angles, biting on fakes, missing tackles)

CB-I actually see this being a position that will be good, with Stoudemire and one of Carter/Vereen/Montgomery/Henderson/Bouie/C. Lewis, alot of lumps were taken last year and hopefully a few of these guys learned from them.

K-Can't be much worse than last year
P-Could be an issue if Orseske can't be coached back to '09 form
KR-best in Big Ten
PR-Someone needs to step up, maybe Marcus Jones

USC-L
NMSU-W
MIAMIOH-W
NDSU-W
MICHIGAN-L
PURDUE-W/L
NEBRASKA-L
iowee-W/L
MSU-L
wisky-L
NW-W/L
ILL-W/L

I mostly agree with your analysis, particularly on the LB's and DB's. Just curious - was the omission of Hageman an accident or do you have a reason? I have hopes of him becoming a real stud in the next year or so.

Top Bottom