Gophers visit Notre Dame Feb 16 and 17

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Two wins or a win and a tie
Is that a prediction or a want? Everyone seems to be on the Gopher bandwagon now, as the team has been playing really well. This will be a tough series in South Bend. I am really hoping for 2 wins but... that will be tough. I'd be happy with a win and a "tie". I'd be ecstatic with a sweep. I'd be disappointed (but not totally surprised) with a split. If we get swept, I will be getting cozy with Jack/Coke beverages at 10 pm Saturday at a local watering hole. That said, I am cautiously optimistic. I'll predict a win in regulation and a win in OT. Go Gophers!

Last edited:

Is that a prediction or a want? Everyone seems to be on the Gopher bandwagon now, as the team has been playing really well. This will be a tough series in South Bend. I am really hoping for 2 wins but... that will be tough. I'd be happy with a win and a "tie". I'd be ecstatic with a sweep. I'd be disappointed (but not totally surprised) with a split. If we get swept, I will be getting cozy with Jack/Coke beverages at 10 pm Saturday at a local watering hole. That said, I am cautiously optimistic. I'll predict a win in regulation and a win in OT. Go Gophers!
This prediction didn't age well. This has been awful to watch. I might have to start the Jack/Coke a bit early.

Wow. Early season Gophers are back in town.

Just checked the score and holy shit is this the same team we saw last weekend. Getting absolutely shit on by ND. I think getting back to back first star really got to Justen's head.

This is not a young team. Why must nights like this exist where they basically no show? I guess that’s the thing with 18-22 year olds, but man is it frustrating.

Gophers routed at Notre Dame as Justen Close pulled

The Big Ten first star of the week each of the past two weeks, Justen Close gave up four goals on 14 shots.

The Gophers men's hockey team's recent run of strong play came to a screeching halt Friday night.

Cole Knuble scored twice, Maple Grove's Danny Nelson had a goal and two assists and Notre Dame chased Justen Close and routed the eighth-ranked Gophers 5-1 at Compton Family Ice Arena in South Bend, Ind.

"We have to get back on top of our game," Gophers coach Bob Motzko said. "We'll have some things to point out on film and they've got to come ready to play tomorrow."

The Gophers (18-8-5, 11-6-4 Big Ten) came into Friday 9-1-1 in their past 11 games, including 6-1-1 in conference play. But they lost for the first time since a 3-2 defeat at Michigan State on Jan. 26, a game in which they gave up three third-period goals, the last coming with 4 seconds left in regulation..

Nobody is winless in hockey, and nobody wins every game in hockey. They're an element of randomness and variation. Teams can get shellacked at one stage of a season and then win it all later. Dominating teams get upset.

I'm not sure how to explain this one except -- this is hockey.

Sure but really it's just that the Gophers are who they have looked like since the exhibition. An 8th to 10th or so best team in the country.

Big Ten reffing is a fucking joke, especially when it comes to consistency, which is their job.

Big Ten reffing is a fucking joke, especially when it comes to consistency, which is their job.
He challenged cause he didn’t like the outcome of the play and he felt the gophers had been burned by goalie interference before. Not saying they had not, but there was a 0% chance the gophers were gonna win that challenge.

This broadcast is atrocious. All you can hear is the stupid drum which is allowed to play while play is going on. Didn’t know that was a thing.

Bobs gonna lose his shit. Huglen is absolutely shoved into the goalie and they call it. It’s all just horsehsit and a guessing game.

The gophers are in second place with an outside chance to win the big ten if not for every goalie interference call going against them. What is would like to know is why are none of these penalties. They are just waved off goals and then play on. If the goal is being waved of for interference should there not be a penalty called. I know they can’t add the penalty via review, but these goals are being waved off on the ice where a penalty could be called.

Even if they win in 3 on 3 this goes down as a brutal weekend.

Top line did nothing 5 on 5
Close shaky
PP looked like high schoolers
Refs were world class at being awful

Gophers men's hockey tops Notre Dame with overtime victory

Just 1:18 into the extra session, Jimmy Snuggerud ended his eight-game goal-scoring drought.

Jimmy Snuggerud ended his eight-game goal-scoring drought in dramatic fashion Saturday night.

Snuggerud, the Gophers' leading goal-scorer, beat Notre Dame goalie Ryan Bischel 1:18 into the three-on-three overtime period, giving Minnesota a 3-2 men's hockey victory over the Fighting Irish in South Bend, Ind.

With the victory, the Gophers (19-8-5, 12-6-4 Big Ten) moved to 37 points and are in third place the Big Ten standings. They are five points behind second-place Wisconsin, which has four games remaining to Minnesota's two. Notre Dame (15-15-2, 10-10-2) is in fourth place, six points behind the Gophers with two games to play.

Connor Kurth and Jaxon Nelson also scored for the Gophers. Goalie Justen Close made 24 saves and assisted on both the tying and winning goals. Notre Dame got goals from Justin Janicke and Jayden Davis. Bischel stopped 36 shots.

The Gophers, who entered the series on a 9-1-1 run, are idle next weekend before finishing the regular season with a home series against Michigan on March 1-2..

Saw something I have never seen before in the Michigan vs Penn State game just now. Michigan challenges for a 5 minute head contact major and wins the challenge. They are gonna go on a 5 minute major with 8 minutes left in the 3rd. Penn state challenges for head contact on a different collision and wins that challenge to offset it. I had the Michigan major as it was a 6’2” guy hitting a 5’6” during a normal course of play. That rule needs to be looked at cause I bet on 90% of the hits there is some sort of “head contact”.

Saw something I have never seen before in the Michigan vs Penn State game just now. Michigan challenges for a 5 minute head contact major and wins the challenge. They are gonna go on a 5 minute major with 8 minutes left in the 3rd. Penn state challenges for head contact on a different collision and wins that challenge to offset it. I had the Michigan major as it was a 6’2” guy hitting a 5’6” during a normal course of play. That rule needs to be looked at cause I bet on 90% of the hits there is some sort of “head contact”.

And then this hit does not even have a penalty called. I bet he is suspended by the league afterwards though.

Top Bottom