Gophers to offer Sioux City PF, Zach McCabe

The Iowa guys (i.e. Tom Kakert) that have spoken to him are confident that the teams that have currently offered him are no threat to Iowa. The only threats to Iowa are considered Notre Dame and a big time program like Kansas.

Also, McCabe has stated that he's going to make a decision before the end of July. There doesn't seem to be enough time for him to take visits to Minneapolis, Tempe, Charlottesville, etc.

BTW - good call Plinnius. I whiffed on that one:)

McCabe will be a decent test case in regard to the new July evaluation period and how coaches should/shouldn't strategize. Most every coach had him evaluated as a mid-major type talent at the end of the high school season. I'm no expert, but saw him play two AAU games and thought he'd be a nice fit at Creighton or Drake. So, were the coaches right then?

Or, do 4-5 really hot games in the July tourneys mean he is now suddenly a high major prospect worthy of multi-offers? Maybe so.

Time will tell.

If you were to make a determination from that Youtube video, I think it is safe to say that this won't be "the one that got away".

Obviously, Tubby and Co have seen a lot more than 4-5 plays, but I hope we have bigger fish out there.

Sure we're after bigger fish -- Barnes, Prather, Kendrick, Joseph, and Blue are all among the top players in the nation at their positions and any one of them would be a great get. We're shooting for the moon this year, the question is, what do we do if we don't get any of those guys?

I would guess we'll take an early commit on a 3-star type guy that the coaches think is underrated (Creekmur? Releford? Thomas if he aces summer school?), so we're not risking sitting here in November still with all 3 schollies open.

Releford

I would guess we'll take an early commit on a 3-star type guy that the coaches think is underrated (Creekmur? Releford? Thomas if he aces summer school?), so we're not risking sitting here in November still with all 3 schollies open.

Isnt releford more often thought of as a four star guy?(minus rivals). I think scout and espn have him rated higher, I would be thrilled by a commit from releford. He looks solid to me and to tell you the truth I would be glad to have Cory Joseph but the few times ive seen him play i havent come away wowed. I think he gets overhyped because he plays for a team like findley...

On the McCabe side of things I(in a guilty way) am glad that he didnt commit here because it would mean that I might have to give up my vision of a blockbuster class this year and im not ready to do that... but you're probably right, we cant wait forever on kenderick, prather, and company.

Top Bottom