Gophers to face best linebacker crew in the nation

swingman

Reaction score
“My expectation is we’re gonna be the best linebacker group in the country,” Ross said in a Zoom call with local media.

A few days later, McGrone concurred. “I totally agree with that statement,” he said. “I feel like we have the best combination of speed and physicality.”

That’s a unique proclamation, even amid the unbridled hype of a preseason press conference.

That caveat is important — it’s easy to exude confidence when you haven’t yet had to prove it. Just recall the press conference last year when Brown proclaimed, “I’ve been writing Wisconsin cards and I’ve kinda been ‘Woohoowoo!’ ” a week before giving up 28 points and 312 yards before halftime......

The weakness of Michigan’s linebacker corps — at least as far as experience — will be at the VIPER role that defensive coordinator Brown employs as a mechanism of bridging his front seven and secondary. Following the departure of three-year starter Khaleke Hudson, junior Michael Barrett will likely assume that position.

Despite Barrett only having two career appearances on defense, McGrone is confident he will fill in seamlessly."

Alabama was suppose to have a good defense as well and it really hasn't been as advertised. Believe Michigan will learn a bit from the Gophers as well this weekend.

When you combine this with the opt outs, the bad news on the covid front and the poor weather forecast you begin to understand why the line shifted so violently towards Michigan.

When you combine this with the opt outs, the bad news on the covid front and the poor weather forecast you begin to understand why the line shifted so violently towards Michigan.

I get the felling you are just doing a bit but couple questions.

Why would the bad weather shift things for Michigan? What news has there been on the covid front? Who is opting out?

And the biggest question of all. Since when does going from a 2.5 point favorite to a 3 point underdog qualify as a Violent shift in an early season betting line?

The line has shifted because Michigan is still a brand name and we are in the prove it stage. Not surprised at all to see it move a few points. I guarantee there has been similar movement in lots of lines all over the country the way there is every single week.

Time to find a new bit to post in every thread.

The one thing that worries me is that our offense has played very vanilla football the past few seasons in early games. Granted those games are non conference and we generally are well favored to win.

The one thing that worries me is that our offense has played very vanilla football the past few seasons in early games. Granted those games are non conference and we generally are well favored to win.

I totally get that concern but I don't think we will see a similar philosophy this year to the one we have employed in the past. I would look for them to come out firing on offense and try to keep building on what we did in the conference games last year. Plus with a team like Michigan on the schedule there is no reason to go in thinking you can afford to be super conservative and still get the W.

This is the first time under Fleck where we are rolling out an experienced QB.

Alabama was suppose to have a good defense as well and it really hasn't been as advertised. Believe Michigan will learn a bit from the Gophers as well this weekend.
You saying that letting Ole Miss hang 48 on you isn’t elite?

The Gophers were hardly hyped for those early games last year.

This is different. This is Michigan. This is "The Jug". Over-hyped is the biggest worry here. But we have what they don't have....

Tanner Freaking Morgan, Baby!!!! He can read defenses in his sleep and has enough starts to not be overcome by the moment. Watch for an early deep ball to Bateman against Michigan's overmatched secondary! Then watch the Gophers ride the wave to victory!

FULL BANANA

I just watched (for the hundredth time) a good chunk of the Minnesota-Auburn game. Anybody else feel like they'd be more comfortable if Matt Simon was calling the plays this Saturday?

I just watched (for the hundredth time) a good chunk of the Minnesota-Auburn game. Anybody else feel like they'd be more comfortable if Matt Simon was calling the plays this Saturday?
He is still the Assistant Passing Game Co - Sole Offensive Coordinator.

Also worth considering that we may have been limiting the playbook in the non-conference to keep things off film. The offense seemed especially boring against SDSU.

It's not necessarily a good thing, but I think we can confidently say that this season's early games are out-of-sample for predictions made based on previous years' early games.

Gophers are going to start hot.

Take it to the Bank...

The Gophers were hardly hyped for those early games last year.

This is different. This is Michigan. This is "The Jug". Over-hyped is the biggest worry here. But we have what they don't have....

Tanner Freaking Morgan, Baby!!!! He can read defenses in his sleep and has enough starts to not be overcome by the moment. Watch for an early deep ball to Bateman against Michigan's overmatched secondary! Then watch the Gophers ride the wave to victory!

FULL BANANA

I'm with you on this. And by early deep ball, i mean the first 2-3 plays.

Top Bottom