Gophers receive a commitment from Wisconsin linebacker Lucas Finnessy

I really try to keep my head clear of things like: 3 star this, 4 star that, 3rd ranked WR from X state, etc.

So forgive my ignorance here.

I usually see Wisconsin HS football to be similar to MN. This kid is listed as a 3 star on 247 sports. When is the last time there has been a MN 3 star kid that the Gophers didn't bother to offer? Does Wisconsin have so many 3 and 4 star players running around that they can afford to not offer some of them?

Whisky not offering made me a little nervous. They have done an insanely good job of identifying linebacker talent over the last 5 years or so. Definentely their position of strength on the defensive side.

Looking at their 247 page it looks like they had 4 linebackers in their 2019 class and have one commit in their 2020 class. They also have a handful of offers out to some four star lbs including kaden Johnson. So maybe they can just afford to be picky this cycle.

I have a good feeling about this kid. First team All-State cornerback at 6-3 230 is ridiculous. Returns kicks, plays receiver/RB. Crazy athletic ability at that size. I think he’s a hidden gem. He plays basketball with a football mentality too.
https://twitter.com/movementhoops/status/1073798035283546112?s=21

New article below....

A Minnesota recruit and all-state defender, Lucas Finnessy does it all for Sussex Hamilton

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ts-do-all-defender-lucas-finnessy/1839917001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky not offering made me a little nervous. They have done an insanely good job of identifying linebacker talent over the last 5 years or so. Definentely their position of strength on the defensive side.

Looking at their 247 page it looks like they had 4 linebackers in their 2019 class and have one commit in their 2020 class. They also have a handful of offers out to some four star lbs including kaden Johnson. So maybe they can just afford to be picky this cycle.

They have done a good job, but the gophers have done okay at LB over the last 5 years too. We never had much talent at the position during the Mason era. The regimes since have seemed to have brought in much more athletic and speedy linebackers. This kid, Itayvion Brown and Lindenberg all appear to have very good speed and athleticism. All played multiple positions. By all accounts Gordon and Willis from last year fly around like heat seeking missiles. I feel like we are starting to look much more like our more successful rivals, Iowa and Wisconsin, at many positions. Linebacker, D line, and O line for example.

At this time of the year, there is a lot to be optimistic about the type of recruits on defense the Gophers are getting. It will be fun to see how Finnesy, Striggow, and others do in the Gophers development program.

Last edited:

Top Bottom