Gophers receive 22 votes (ranked 33rd) in latest AP Poll

If the gophers remain dominant in the next 2 games, I could see them getting to 25 before the MSU game so that it is between two ranked teams. If not, the gophers will be knocking on the door of a ranking and will be ranked if they beat MSU.

If the gophers remain dominant in the next 2 games, I could see them getting to 25 before the MSU game so that it is between two ranked teams. If not, the gophers will be knocking on the door of a ranking and will be ranked if they beat MSU.
i think they'll need to beat MSU.

national perceptin of MN remains, they don't get benefit of the doubt like Wisconsin

Would be really tough to crack the top 25 prior to @ MSU. Assuming we take care of business, here's what teams #20-32 have coming up, with bolded teams being realistic opportunities to jump:

20. Kentucky: @ 12 Florida/Youngstown State - Very likely still ahead of us even with a L @ Florida
21. BYU: 9 Baylor/@ Oregon - Losing both definitely gets the job done, but favored vs Baylor.
22. Ole Miss: Central Arkansas/@ GT - Should be 3-0
23. Wake Forest: @ Vandy/Liberty - Should be 3-0
24. Tennessee: @ 17 Pitt/Akron - Loss to Pitt likely drops them below us, but touchdown favorites
25. Houston: @ Texas Tech/Kansas - Loss to either drops them below us. 3 point dogs to TTU
26. Oregon: EWU/BYU - BYU vs Oregon means only 1 of the 2 can fall behind us
27. PSU: Ohio/@ Auburn - Need a loss to Auburn
28. Texas: @ 1 Bama/UTSA - Degree of the loss to Bama will be a factor, but likely fall behind us
29. Cincy: Kennesaw St/@ Miama (OH) - Should be 2-1
30. FSU: OFF/@ Louisville - Should be 3-0
31. UCF: Louisville/@ FAU - Should be 3-0
32. Fresno: Oregon St/ @ USC - Won't win both, will fall behind us
33. Gophers

So barring unforeseen upsets, or truly dominant Minnesota performances, our ceiling seems to be around #27.

Last edited:

The Gophers dominated NMSU and received fewer votes in both polls. Makes sense.
You know what media says about and thinks of us playing our fluf HS teams!

No respect! We always gotta prove sumthin. We will continue to pruv!

While personally I see out team as better than WI and IA from a talent perspective, I don't see the talking heads taking the time to investigate who we are. Lucky to break top 30, even with two stellar wins.

Florida and Arkansas weren't even on a lot of preseason top 25 ballots, but got big bumps with wins over Utah and Cinci. FSU also with LSU win.

Top Bottom