Gophers' OOC schedule (final)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
A Morgan State official confirmed the Bears will visit Williams Arena on Tuesday, Dec. 8. By then we should have a decent gauge of whether Morgan State is any good, as the Bears play at Louisville & Arkansas before visiting The Barn.

This appears to make the Gophers' nonconference schedule official. All visiting schools have confirmed the date of their visit to Williams Arena. Game times are still unknown.

Final 2008-09 RPI listed in parentheses.

1. Friday, Nov. 13 -- TENNESSEE TECH (272) -- Ohio Valley
2. Monday, Nov. 16 -- STEPHEN F. AUSTIN (74, NCAA) -- Southland
3. Thursday, Nov. 19 -- UTAH VALLEY (238) -- Great West
4. Thursday, Nov. 26 -- vs. Butler (24, NCAA) -- Horizon League
5. Friday, Nov. 27 -- vs. UCLA (33, NCAA) or Portland (120)
6. Sunday, Nov. 29 -- vs. West Virginia (21, NCAA), Clemson (28, NCAA), Texas A&M (36, NCAA) or Long Beach State (156)
7. Wednesday, Dec. 2 -- at Miami-Florida (65) -- ACC
8. Saturday, Dec. 5 -- BROWN (307) -- Ivy League
9. Tuesday, Dec. 8 -- MORGAN STATE (130, NCAA) -- MEAC
10. Saturday, Dec. 12 -- SAINT JOSEPH'S (105) -- Atlantic 10
11. Tuesday, Dec. 15 -- NORTHERN ILLINOIS (329) -- MAC
12. Wednesday, Dec. 23 -- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (283) -- Summit League

Average RPI of Nonconference Opponents: 182.7
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 217.25
NCAA Qualifiers (3): Butler, Morgan State, Stephen F. Austin
Top 100 (3): Butler (24), Miami-Florida (65), Stephen F. Austin (74)

Season ticket $$

Didn't our season ticket costs assume a 19-game home schedule? And now there are 18 games?? I assume we'll see a refund if so, but my assumption is that the intention was to line up a higher quality game for number 19 and we failed to do so. I'm disappointed to say the least. Why did we drop NDSU again? From the outside, it looks like Esposito dropped the ball, but I agree with SS that accountability ultimately rests with Tubby.

I think back to how fun it was to play Cincinnati, Georgia, St. John's, etc. Those were fun games and this squad would be a blast to watch in the Barn against competition like that.

Robb, 19 home games is correct. I think we're at that number with the exhibition (2), nonconference (8) and Big Ten (9) schedules.

Ah, yes. I forgot the exhibition games. Thanks for the reminder, SS. In that case...AWESOME!

And FOT will be here to defend this schedule in three .... two ..... one ....

And FOT will be here to defend this schedule in three .... two ..... one ....

3 tough games in Calif tourney.

1 tough ACC road game.

Several home games versus 2009 NCAA qualifiers.

Home game versus St Joes PA who is good opponent.

And several cupcakes like everyone has on their schedule.

I report, you decide.

I have repeatedly said that my beef is with the home n-c schedule. And I didn't know that two was the same as several.

Tubby has been here two seasons and he has coached 17 home non-conference games. One was against a major conference opponent and the Gophers were obligated to play that ACC/Big Ten Challenge game. There was also one home non-conference game against a non-Division I opponent.

In 2007-08, the average end-of-season RPI for Gophers home n-c opponents was 237.14. All seven games were against teams that finished the season No. 184 or worse in the RPI.

In 2008-09, the average end-of-season RPI for Gophers home n-c opponents was 199.11 (does not include D2 Concordia-St. Paul). Only one of those teams finished the season in the top 100 of the RPI.

Two seasons. 17 non-conference home games. One BCS conference opponent. One top 100 RPI opponent. Zero at-large NCAA tournament qualifiers.

By the end of 2009, the HOME totals will read:

Three seasons.
25 non-conference games.
One BCS conference opponent.
Zero BCS conference opponents scheduled by choice.
Zero at-large NCAA tournament qualifiers from the previous season.

In my estimation, this isn't good enough. Not for a fan base that has been as loyal as the Gophers have been.

I report, you decide.

Additional items:

St. Joe's lost its two best players and returns one player who averaged in double figures last season.
Morgan State lost three starters off of its NCAA tournament team.
Stephen F. Austin lost four starters off its NCAA tournament team.

Another item:

Since the 2007-08 campaign (including the upcoming season's OOC schedules), name the only Big 10 school that has yet to host a BCS program, excluding the mandated ACC/Big Challenge?

Answer: Minnesota

P.S. No FOT, the Postseason NIT (Maryland) does not count.

3 tough games in Calif tourney.

1 tough ACC road game.

Several home games versus 2009 NCAA qualifiers.

Home game versus St Joes PA who is good opponent.

And several cupcakes like everyone has on their schedule.

I report, you decide.

Only 1 tough game in Cali tourney guaranteed. Butler is a very good team and should make for a great game. After that who knows what may happen in tourney play.

The ACC game is scheduled for us so we really can't take credit for that and its on the road. Also Miami is at best a middle-tier ACC team.

2 games vs. 2009 NCAA qualifiers and anonymous pointed our their losses already so not good opponents.

St. Joes PA - again anonymous pointed out their losses so not a great opponent

I believe that a case could be made that every home non-conference game is a cupcake as they are all game that we should win easily and I would be very disappointed if we lose any of them.

You reported, I Decided

Lets try a little old school SAT analogy...

Gopher4Life : Raised Floor Psychosis
as
FOT : Unhinged Defense of Home Schedule

The only home game I expect to be remotely competitive is Saint Joe's, and that's out of respect for the coaching ability of Phil Martelli.

If any of the other games aren't safely in hand by the final TV time out, I'll be surprised. Maybe Northern Illinois (a hunch they'll be greatly improved this season), but that's a stretch.

Top Bottom