Gophers offer Sioux Falls (D2) transfer Zach Durfee

With Braelon Oliver now in the portal, getting onto the field just got one step closer.

NAIA can basically hand kids cash. This is a great article.

A couple months ago, I was talking to a retired assistant coach from a team that transitioned from NAIA to D3 in the 1980s along with other MIAC schools. I was curious about NAIA and asked if the MIAC allowed athletic scholarships back before it was 100% D3. He said no athletic scholarships per conference rules, but it was much easier to get an athlete significant financial aid in the NAIA even if it wasn't technically an athletic scholarship. There was basically no oversight. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but I'm guessing it's looser than the NCAA.

A couple months ago, I was talking to a retired assistant coach from a team that transitioned from NAIA to D3 in the 1980s along with other MIAC schools. I was curious about NAIA and asked if the MIAC allowed athletic scholarships back before it was 100% D3. He said no athletic scholarships per conference rules, but it was much easier to get an athlete significant financial aid in the NAIA even if it wasn't technically an athletic scholarship. There was basically no oversight. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but I'm guessing it's looser than the NCAA.
My old boss' daughter played volleyball for St. Thomas about 8-9 years back. She was recruited by some NAIA schools, and he said basically what that coach said, and what the article said. That they were basically just telling them she'd get paid for performance. He thought the whole thing seemed especially sleazy.

When I started school at MSU-Moorhead, they were just transitioning to D2 from NAIA. Some of the guys that were playing FB and BB there sounded a lot like that article, and were probably recruited under NAIA rules. Let's just say they weren't exactly college material.

My old boss' daughter played volleyball for St. Thomas about 8-9 years back. She was recruited by some NAIA schools, and he said basically what that coach said, and what the article said. That they were basically just telling them she'd get paid for performance. He thought the whole thing seemed especially sleazy.

When I started school at MSU-Moorhead, they were just transitioning to D2 from NAIA. Some of the guys that were playing FB and BB there sounded a lot like that article, and were probably recruited under NAIA rules. Let's just say they weren't exactly college material.

Granted, Moorhead's football heyday was NAIA. That ended with the D2 transition. Not sure if the two are related.

Granted, Moorhead's football heyday was NAIA. That ended with the D2 transition. Not sure if the two are related.
Oh yes. Under Ross Fortier, MSU was an absolute powerhouse. His record was 152-80-4. My sophomore year was his last year.

When the NSIC transitioned to D2, the NCC still existed, and the NCC was obviously the class of D2 at the time. To compare MSU to NDSU in football, when both were D2, was absurd (despite that MSU actually was the larger school at the time).

He was at ISU the other day. Heard he was pretty impressed. Hopefully we can reel him in

Washington's head coach was a stud WR for sioux falls back in the day
I was wondering what there connection was with that region. Seems like they’ve recently began recruiting that area when they hadn’t been in the past.

I was wondering what there connection was with that region. Seems like they’ve recently began recruiting that area when they hadn’t been in the past.
Eric Schmidt, ST coach for DeBoer, was a Mandan kid who played for good UND teams in 2000 era, started coaching at Crookston High...lot of midwest connections on that staff...

Washington
2022: Special Teams Coordinator/Defensive Ends

Fresno State
2020-21: Defensive Line/Special Teams Coordinator

North Dakota
2019: Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line
2018: Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
2014-17: Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers

Southern Illinois
2012-13: Inside Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator
2010-11: Defensive Line
2008-09: Outside Linebackers

North Dakota
2006-07: Linebackers

Crookston H.S. (Minn.)
2002-05: Head Coach

De Boer's OC Ryan Grubb is another Dakotas guy:
Washington
2022: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

Fresno State
2020-21: Offensive Coordinator/Assoc. Head Coach/Quarterbacks
2019: Offensive Coordinator/Assoc. Head Coach/Offensive Line
2017-18: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator

Eastern Michigan
2014-16: Offensive Line

Sioux Falls
2010-13: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2007-09: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator

South Dakota State
2006: Wide Receivers
2005: Running Backs

Kingsley-Pierson (H.S.) (right near Sioux City)
2003-04: Offensive Coordinator

DeBoer's co-DC, safeties coach Chuck Morrell:

As a safety at Sioux Falls (1995-97), he was the leading tackler on the 1996 NAIA Division II national championship team. He was inducted into the Cougar Hall of Fame in 2016.

Morrell, a native of Bon Homme, South Dakota, and his wife Jen, are the parents of two daughters, Selene and Aleia.

COACHING HISTORY

Washington

2022: Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties

Fresno State
2020-21: Safeties

Montana Tech
2011-19: Head Coach

South Dakota
2010: Defensive Coordinator/Secondary

Sioux Falls
1999-09: Defensive Coordinator/Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Backs
1998: Defensive Backs