Gophers offense under Kirk and Mike

I remember a guy on this board last year preaching how it wasn’t the OC, couldn’t have been more wrong.

I remember a guy on this board last year preaching how it wasn’t the OC, couldn’t have been more wrong.
It definitely was the OC
It wasn’t the OC who was CONSERVATIVE

Which is a completely different discussion.

It definitely was the OC
It wasn’t the OC who was CONSERVATIVE

Which is a completely different discussion.

To my eye, the difference between the two is not the run/pass ratio. I haven't looked at numbers, but it seems like we still run way more than we throw, just as always.

The difference is in passing efficiency. We are much more productive when we throw than we were under Sanford.

Last edited:

To my eye, the difference between the two is not the run/pass ratio. I haven't looked at numbers, but it seems like we still run way more than we throw, just as always.

The difference is in passing efficiency. We are much more productive when we throw than we we under Sanford.
Correct.
And watch Colorado. They are not conservative at all.

I'm old and my brain continually gets smoother so things slide off more readily, but I can't remember the Gophers running jet sweeps last year and Colorado ran about a half dozen (or so it seems) of them yesterday. A lot has to do with personnel (and what the head coach might want), but I thought Sanford's passing game scheme when he was here was almost as rudimentary as Limegrover's. Ciarrocca isn't a pass-happy guy, but there appears to be a bit more nuance to his passing game (only exception being his seeming over-reliance on the slant pattern).

I love what we're doing on offense.

To me, a run-first attack that can hit you with the RPO and slant stuff is very effective and fits our personnel to a "T". It works in the B1G and in B1G winter weather. It also works against good teams, as seen in 2019 vs. Penn State and Auburn.

To my eyes in the early days of this season, it appears that we run the ball more than both Iowa and Wisconsin (our main rivals and two teams famously successful for running ball control), but we're better at passing than either of them. Think about that!

I'm old and my brain continually gets smoother so things slide off more readily, but I can't remember the Gophers running jet sweeps last year and Colorado ran about a half dozen (or so it seems) of them yesterday. A lot has to do with personnel (and what the head coach might want), but I thought Sanford's passing game scheme when he was here was almost as rudimentary as Limegrover's. Ciarrocca isn't a pass-happy guy, but there appears to be a bit more nuance to his passing game (only exception being his seeming over-reliance on the slant pattern).
The slant is a pass that Morgan does a really good job of hitting. In 2019 teams couldn't figure out how to stop it.

The slant is a pass that Morgan does a really good job of hitting. In 2019 teams couldn't figure out how to stop it.
True in 2019, but Colorado was all over it yesterday.

To this *non-professional coach at the most basic level Sanford just can’t seem to take what the defense is begging him to do leading to failure on standard downs then predictable failure on low percentage passing downs. Numbers, spacing, and so on. The scheme, execution and coaching em up issues are icing on top. Painful to watch. Maybe football is just too complicated for mortals to understand but I don’t think so.

I do not think there were 6 jet sweeps yesterday. Or do you mean jet motion with or without them getting the ball?

To this *non-professional coach at the most basic level Sanford just can’t seem to take what the defense is begging him to do leading to failure on standard downs then predictable failure on low percentage passing downs. Numbers, spacing, and so on. The scheme, execution and coaching em up issues are icing on top. Painful to watch. Maybe football is just too complicated for mortals to understand but I don’t think so.
Yesterday Colorado got the edge a few times because of great motions that put our defense in bad spots. He isn’t a great OC but he isn’t an idiot. Colorado scored infinitely more points and had infinitely more rushing yards than they did last year in the same game.

I do think he is a bad QB coach. It seems his QBs are always late with the ball no matter what team he is coaching.

Yesterday Colorado got the edge a few times because of great motions that put our defense in bad spots. He isn’t a great OC but he isn’t an idiot. Colorado scored infinitely more points and had infinitely more rushing yards than they did last year in the same game.

I do think he is a bad QB coach. It seems his QBs are always late with the ball no matter what team he is coaching.

Colorado had 25 yards of offense at the half. They gained well over half their yards in the 4th quarter against green backups. It was a woeful performance but sure, it could have been worse.

True in 2019, but Colorado was all over it yesterday.

No offensive scheme in football works 100% of the time. That's why there are lots of different plays in the playbook.

If a team sets up defensively to stop the slant, turn the page and run something different. It looked to me like that's exactly what the Gophers did yesterday.

Both (KC and Sanford) were the QB coach.

What goes on the QB room is what dictates how well the passing offense is going to work, to a large degree.

Something Sanford did (does) just does not work.

The only thing I saw out of Sanford this past game was a flea-flicker in the second half... the same ones used in 1980s.

Top Bottom